“Stay away! You have to read this to believe it!”

Comfort Inn Lee's Summit @ Hwy 50 & Hwy 291
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Lee's Summit
Davenport, Iowa
“Stay away! You have to read this to believe it!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

Where do I start with this disaster?! I made my reservation online and nowhere on the site did it say that there was any construction at this location. When we pulled up to the hotel, there was a free-standing "Super 8" sign out front and a "Comfort Inn" sign on the building. Construction materials were all over the front entrance and landscaping was being done in the front. I should've pulled away right there and taken it as a sign but my thought was that if they were doing a little landscaping, that was no big deal. I went inside to check in and was confused because there was a "Comfort Inn" sign behind the front desk. It looked like a tornado went off in there and there were construction people everywhere. They were tearing up the floor, the overhead lights, everything was piled in the breakfast area (and none of the breakfast machines, supplies, etc. were covered with a drop cloth) it was all a mess. Once again, I should've left but was so tired from driving. I finally got someone to help me and I asked what the address was as I was confused by the multiple signage and not sure I was in the right place. The manager said the address was 963 Oldham Pkwy. I was more confused now with the signage. I asked if it was a Super 8 or a Comfort Inn. His response? "It depends. How many nights are you staying?" I told him that I was staying 1 night and that I had a reservation. He asked for my last name and said, "Oh, 1 night. Then it is a Super 8. I have been waiting for you and have your room cards already made up." He said that it was changing over to a Comfort Inn the next day and said that he was sorry about the construction. I said that it would've been nice to know about the construction as I would've likely stayed elsewhere. I asked if breakfast was going to be available the next day as was assured that it was. Well, okay. I guess I would give it a try. We parked around back among all of the storage containers, trailers, and construction vehicles. Walking in the building was hazardous as there was stuff everywhere and nothing was even swept up. The elevator had a sign in it for the "construction people" not to smoke in it and that made me wonder if it was okay for them to smoke everywhere else?! We stayed on the 3rd floor and the hallway was remodeled up there. The carpet they chose wasn't anything I've seen in a hotel before, it was an interesting choice of colors and patterns but I really didn't care as I just wanted to get to my room. I have to say that our room was really nice. I'm pretty sure that we were the first people to ever stay in it as it smelled of paint and very obviously had new carpet put down (they didn't vaccum the carpet "chunks" that come with having new carpet laid) and the bedding, light fixtures, furniture all appeared to be new. With that being said, they didn't have any of the "extras" that you usually get with hotels - soap, etc. and didn't even fill the kleenex box in the bathroom. I just really felt like we were an inconvenience to them during this project of theirs. On our way out to eat I made it a point to look for the ice machine so I could get some ice when we came back. The machine was unplugged and the floor was torn down to the subfloor where it was supposed to sit. Upon our return a couple of hours later, I wanted to go to the front desk to ask about ice. I also thought it would be nice to take a swim before turning in that evening. That is when I noticed that there was no water in the pool. Great. That wasn't mentioned either. I noticed the fitness center was out of commission too. When I went into the lobby, the owner was there and he is the one that I spoke with. I asked about ice and he acted as if I had asked him to bring me room service or something. He asked if I checked the machines on the other floors in the hotel and I advised that no, I didn't because I didn't think or know that I would have to. I also asked about the pool and said that none of the construction was listed on the website. He went into a short tirade about how he was only given 48 hours to convert the Super 8 into a Comfort Inn or he would have to pay a $30,000 penalty and that "in the United States it is hard to get work done when a contractor tells you the project will be done by 4 June but it is now 20 June and it still not done." I told him that I could see he is putting in a lot of money for the hotel and I was sure it would be nice when all was finished but that it would've been nice to know that there were NO amenities whatsoever when reservations were made or even when I checked in. He said I could go to the other hotel he owned up the road and use the pool there. I told him that I was not driving up there at 10:00 at night and then driving back down here wet. He said he would have one of his "managers" go get me some ice and bring to my room but he had a lot to do and that he had to take pictures to send to corporate office. He said he would discount my room $20-30 for the inconvenience and lack of amenities. At that point, I just figured that I would chalk up this stay to what it was - a mess.
The next morning I went outside to get something out of my car and noticed that there were two workers painting the outside of the building OVER THE CARS IN THE PARKING LOT. The spray was flying everywhere and that was the last straw. My husband and I hurriedly got our things together to leave. I drove around front (away from the spray paint) and went inside to check out. I gave the individual who checked me in earlier my room key cards and asked him what my rate on my room was (thinking that the owner took care of it because he was standing two feet away from him.) He told me what it was and I told him that the owner told me that I would get a discount for the inconvenience of construction and the lack of amenities. Oh yeah, the breakfast that I was assured would be there? Nope. Nothing at all. It was just as big a mess in there as the night before. I was told that I already had a "really good rate" on my room and a discount wasn't necessary. I told him that it was because I booked at the AAA rate and not because of anything he did for me. I was very tactful but proceeded to tell him it was ridiculous that they were open considering the obvious inconvenience of paying customers while they were completing their changeover. There was no pool, no fitness center, construction materials in the pathways everywhere, and that people were now outside spray painting the building over the cars! He just shrugged his shoulders and said he would discount my room. I asked for a receipt and was told that he couldn't give me one. I started laughing at this point and asked why I couldn't have one. He said that all of the "Super 8" printers were already taken over to their other location up the street because now the hotel I was standing in was a "Comfort Inn." When I asked if I could go there for a receipt I was told no because the "access codes" are different there. He said he would email my receipt to me.
Well, I did get an email with my receipt for my stay and my discount on my room was a whopping $4.67 off of the original amount he gave me (My AAA rate). All of that for $4.67! Needless to say, I will never go back to this hotel or the one up the street from there that Mr. Patel owns as well. I swear that I cannot make this stuff up. It was the most surreal experience and yes, I did have spray on my car from their painting above it.
Do NOT stay here. Save your money and sleep in your car if this is your only lodging option. These people lie and do not know how to provide customer service at all. My husband and I are professionals. If we treated his clients the way that we were treated, he wouldn't have any! If the customer service would've been better, I could've overlooked a lot of the construction issues.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.