“Rivers Edge campground !!!!!!!!”

Riversedge Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lesterville
Riversedge Campground
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
“Rivers Edge campground !!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Great staff, Very Friendly, Good times!! Great float because you take out at the campground.. no hot sweaty bus ride after the float. A very nice place to take your family for the week or the week end. They have a nice little store there if you forget anything and a great play ground for the kids!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
saint louis
Reviewed 18 June 2012

The campground was beautiful and loved having clean bathrooms. However, we felt as though we had to whisper when it got dark. An older gentleman came around telling everyone to be quiet. We were not that loud at all, but we felt like we could not play music or talk over a whisper. Also, the river was so low when we wanted to float, that we had to walk 3/4 of it. We were on the river for 7 hours because of that. And they didn't mention it to anyone that it was going to be like that. Being in our 20's and 30's, we want to be able to stay up late around the campfire, playing guitar and drinking. So, we won't be going back there. It's probably best suited for kids and families.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank emmamiya

Travellers are raving about these Lesterville hotels

Carbondale, IL
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I have been bringing my horses to Riversedge for the past 15 years. I have seen the ownership change hands 2 different times and I was impressed enough with the improvements under the new ownership to get online and share my thoughts. What I did not expect were so many of the complaints that I have seen on this website. Let me just say this though, this campground has improved drastically over the past 2 years. It is a beautiful property to begin with, with lots of shade for the hot Missouri summers (not sure why someone complained on here about too much shade when the river and beach are right next to you), and ample trails for riding. In fact, trails that had been closed for years by down trees are now open again which has nearly doubled the amount of available trail on the property and if you get tired of riding the property you can cross the river and have all the trail you can handle for riding. In addition the campground has become much more family friendly. Whereas the previous owner would sit at a campsite designated "Party Cove" by a giant banner with his buddies, who I guess stayed there year round, and holler at young women, the current owner has added playground equipment, made the campground much cleaner, made quiet hours quieter, and done away with "Party Cove". In summation, this is a beautiful place that I look forward to returning to every year and some of the comments on here seem to be nothing but very angry people anonymously writing slander from some dark room somewhere, as angry people seem to do nowadays. It's a wonderful place and I reccomend it to anyone looking to camp on the Black River.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Steve H
Holden, Missouri
Reviewed 20 October 2011

We spent a weak at the horse campground. We found the trails mostly to be logging roads the views were mainly off logged and storm damaged timber. The best ride we had was a gravel road along the river. The campground was not set up for bigger riggs pourly managed we tried to get a refund of our prepaid days and could not so we could go somewhere else. Some of our group did anyway without a refund. Faucets leaking threwout camp, We counted four skunks told the camp manager about it they said dont bother them they wont bother you. Children around the play area should not have to deal with skunks. We camp a lot of places the worst i have ever had to deal with. Wood was high 50 cents a peice. Quoted hundreds miles of trails on website maps at campgroung only showed 50 miles. Stalls were barely adequate. I think poor conditions are why they do not have a comment area on their website.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank cindy s
st john
Reviewed 20 August 2011

The staff and owners are amazing and helpful, very clean campsite. Family friendly environment., will most definitely be back in 2012 to float and camp.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank jamiev680
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 3 August 2011

A few days ago my best friend called me to read the reviews on trip advisor of our favorite campground. I found the reviews from the weekend we were there and was shocked to see them on this website. As it happens we were both there and viewed these events. Basically everything they said management did is really what they did. They were there with a large group--some were fine but the majority were extremely intoxicated and very angry. At this campground it is recommended that we return from our floats by a certain time. Part of their party came in very late. A few people from our party were at our campsite and saw them when they finally arrived. They were very intoxicated and very angry. I had stopped at the campground store to buy some ice and heard these people threatening the management. In my opinion, the management was only trying to do their job and keep things under control. I do know later that the police had to be called because 'someone' vandalized the shower house--lets think who this could be. We have stayed here many times and have never witnessed anything like this. This campground is our favorite to come to and we will continue to come for many years.

Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank chicnotshabby
goriversedge, Owner at Riversedge Campground, responded to this review, 11 August 2011
Thanks for your support and the honest and impartial review. To tell the truth, we were shocked that TripAdvisor would actually publish the reviews in question. As new owners, this was the first and only event that we have experienced where it was necessary to get the sheriff’s department involved. We have since written to TripAdvisor asking them to contact the local sheriff’s department so they can hear the true facts of the evening – facts supported by what you describe in your unbiased review.

Family-friendly is really important to us -- and we work hard to maintain an environment that will provide our customers with a safe and enjoyable holiday experience. Thanks again for coming to Riversedge Campground, and we hope you come back again (and again) soon.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We have been floating the Black River for the last 7 years and two years ago we decided to look at other campgrounds like Riversedge and see what thought. We will be floating every year for some time but NOT here again. So reading the rest of the reviews I would agree for the most part that the camping, floating, and location are decent. Not amazing and not a gem, but average and the bathroom was clean. The float was great and despite what other reviews say, I was properly informed of the $20 / hour late fee. To be honest the late fee is quite reasonable when comparing to other policies.

The big BUT here is my ride to the river. The bus ride to the put in for the float was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. To get to the put in, you have to go down a back woods dirt road. The driver started and was taking every turn way too fast and the bus felt like it would tip. Then the driver decided to pass a mini van full of people. This was on a dirt road, mind you, that was entirely too narrow to be pulling a stunt like that. The driver then let out a yell and floored it. There was a bus in front of him and this guy made the decision to PASS THE BUS at what felt like 50+ MPH! There was no room for error and he didn't make one, but to put that many people's lives in DANGER was absolutely ridiculous. It was at this point that everyone yelled at him to slow down, but he sped up. I then yelled "we have two pregnant women on this bus, SLOW DOWN!" The driver looked at me in the rear view mirror, gave me a peace sign and floored it.

Later on the float some fellow campers from Riversedge, said that this guy went back and was bragging to them about passing a bus. They got on the bus and on this trip he did in fact drive a truck off the road while pulling the same stuff. There were several injuries but he kept driving and fled the scene. My wife verified this with the owner of the truck who we also met on our float. I have no idea what happened to the driver. The guys at the take out said he wasn't working there any more, but they were hired teenagers and not management by any means.

Which brings me to my review of management. I did not have any guns pulled on me. To the contrary all of the people I dealt with were professional and nice. However when it was time to inform the management of the incredible harm there driver put so many of their customers through......NO MANAGEMENT TO BE FOUND. The office was completely closed on Sunday, which is odd because they should have been opened on the day people leave. They were closed because they didn't want to deal with complaints and maybe have to refund some money.

I was going to tell the owner that as long as he could assure me that I would never have to deal with that type of driving on a bus ride to my float again, I would continue to come to his campground. Everything else was great. Since I can't say for certain that the crazy guy isn't still driving a bus for them AND the management at Riversedge Campground apparently could care less about their customers I will not be returning. There are so many other campgrounds around Lesterville that offer the same amenities and won't kill me.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Huey25MU
As the new family owners of Riversedge Campground, we would like to say that our number one goal is for all our campers and floaters to have a safe and enjoyable week-end. So that being said, we take your comments very seriously related to the transportation services that were provided to you as part of your float trip.

First of all, we are sorry that you were not able to speak to anyone in person on your day of departure (on Sunday the office is open from 10am to 5pm), but both on Saturday and Sunday when the office was open we did address customer issues regarding the bus ride and subsequently offered refunds to passenger’s on that particular bus (we have the names of all customers on that ride so could verify). If you could please call Riversedge Campground office (573-637-2295), we will be happy to provide a refund for your trip as well. You can also email us at goriversedge@gmail.com.

Secondly, as to the driver in question, this individual has since been terminated and will never work at this facility again. A new driver has been hired, with great credentials, from the Ellington Public School District. Finally, as new owners of the campground, we have instituted strong new safe driving policies that include no passing (even in a legal zone) as customer safety will continue to be our #1 priority.

Thanks again for coming to Riversedge Campground. We really appreciate you as a customer, and hope, based on the comments above, that you will return to visit us again.

Been to Riversedge Campground? Share your experiences!