The Malthouse
The New Hobbit(Sowerby Bridge)
US$96
The Old Golf House Hotel Huddersfield(Huddersfield)(Great Value!)
US$80
US$82
PremierInn.com
US$69
US$67
Premier Inn Huddersfield West Hotel(Huddersfield)(Great Value!)
US$84
US$59
US$57
Priceline
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmalt housebelly porkbreakfast spotchunky chipspub lunchlovely sunday lunchprawn cocktailbrieyoung waiterfamily mealreal firehaddockwild mushroomsportion sizeslovely nightpiean evening meal
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We booked in the Malthouse for two nights to watch the Tour de France, I'll review the pub and the hotel separate.
We arrived late on Saturday evening to be greeted by Jamie, what a fantastic front of house person he was, in fact all staff we're friendly, approachable and nothing was too much trouble. We ate there on the Saturday evening, I had sirloin steak and my husband had the home made steak and ale pie, both meals were excellent value, good portions and hot! the sirloin steak was £16.00 but they had an offer on if you had two sirloin steak meals, you got a bottle of wine and the total cost was only £27.00, what a fantastic offer.
The next day when the race was on, I must say the whole of the town did an amazing job of promoting itself, the Malthouse did a barbecue so we ate from that when we got back and again it was very tasty and good value for money.
There is a small seated area at the front of the hotel and a massive seating area out the back which is an absolute sun trap and the gardens are immaculately kept with lots of flower pots and established gardens, it made you want to sit out there all night.
The inside of the pub is really quaint but with a modern touch, comfortable seating, excellent ambiance, all in all excellent.
The Hotel
We were shown to our room which was up two flights of stairs, we then went down to collect our things from the car, as you get to the top of the second flight you have to stand on the stairs and open the fire door towards you,as I did this luggage in hand two large dogs came through the door, as you can imagine it was a bit of a shock, the man with the dogs we can only presume was the owner offered no apology, the dogs seemed to be staying in the room next to us as we did hear them on both nights. The rooms are quite old fashioned but immaculately clean,although there is a dog smell throughout the hall and stairwell. The bed was comfortable, as it was summer the windows weren't a problem but I would imagine in the winter you would get quite a draft as they are original windows. You get a lot of road noise. The bathroom was okay but the toilet was up a step which proved tricky at night and the electric shower was boiling one minute and cold the next.
All in all the pub is excellent, but the hotel side lets it down, the breakfast took a long time to be served each morning but was okay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank toni t
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Came back again here last Wednesday on the way back from a trip to Manchester. It was a really sunny day and we ending up eating in the rear beer garden. Nice to see that they allow dogs and even more surprising that they give them treats. I had a BLT as a starter, which was chunks of juicy belly pork and slices of tomato and baby gem, beautifully arranged on a plate, my partner had a rib starter that looked huge, he said it was great. The food was excellent. We both had a rib eye steak, juicy and tender as the last time we had it. Nice bottle of Rioja to go with the meal, all for less than £50 including a tip - seems pretty good value us. Spoke to a waitress who seemed all chipper and cheerful and the manager who asked us if we had enjoyed our meals. If you get the chance sit in the quiet beer garden and enjoy the sun.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank uk/usguy
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We visited The Malt House for a farewell dinner with family and was appalled with the service and quality of food. My sister returned her drink as she had a squashed fly on the inside of her glass and asked the waitress to replace it with a fresh one. On returning with the drink my sister asked if it was a fresh drink and a fresh glass. The waitress said she had tipped the old drink, with the fly in it, into another glass and looked put out when asked for another drink. The food for three of our meals was cold and we felt rather uncomfortable as the staff stood less than three feet away from us throughout the meal. We would never go there again and was disappointed as the last time we visited there it was the Royal Oak and could not have had a better meal. I would give the place a wide birth if I were you.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Paul K
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We booked a table for 9 adults and 2 high chairs for Mothers day. 2 of our party arrived earlier so sat at the table and noticed only 1 high chair. They mentioned this to the lady and she said she would bring one we everyone was there. Once everyone arrived we asked for the high chair and was told there wasn't one available?! Eventually got 1 after 5 minutes. Drinks orders wrong twice. Ordered food and asked for a childs meal to be brought with starters - arrived after our starters had been cleared.I had chicken liver parfait and this was the worst looking dish i've ever had! Not a parfait at all! 5 of us had beef for mains - very tough - couldn't cut into it with the knife provided. Roasties burnt and soggy. Plates eventually cleared after 15 minutes, no one asked if we wanted desserts until another 10 minutes after clearing the plates. Desserts best part of meal really apart form sticky toffee pud which was like a brick! Been here a good few times but since it has changed hands we definitely wont be going back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank rob w
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We have been to the Malthouse a number of times and always had a great experience, however we went last night and I can't say I will be going again in a hurry. It was a Saturday evening and the place was very quiet. Service was a lot slower than previous. I ordered the ribs which were tasteless and my fries were cold and barely cooked. My husband enjoyed his steak. I ordered the duo of chocolate mousse which stated on the menu that it came with raspberries however it came as one mousse not two and was in a glass not much larger than a shot glass with 3 red currants on top!! It came to nearly £60 which it definitely wasn't worth. Such a disappointment. There was also no real atmosphere to the restaurant, it looked like it was in the middle of a refurbishment, bare walls and no curtains.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple