“An out-of-the-way place that should be on your way!”

Laura Ingalls Wilder Historic Home and Museum
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Mansfield
Phoenix, Arizona
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“An out-of-the-way place that should be on your way!”
Reviewed 30 June 2012

"Did that sign really say $8.00 per person?!" asked my sister-in-law incredulously. I replied that since I had forced her and her husband to visit this museum with us, she didn't have to worry about the cost. They had invited us to join them at nearby Silver Dollar City when I had mentioned coming to visit The Laura Ingalls Wilder Home. But since I had driven, they were stuck with me and my agenda...

And boy, were they glad! We toured the home that the Wilders had built, enthusiastically taking in all the details of Laura's and Almanzo's life where she wrote the beloved books. I had just finished reading the series to my boys (ages 9, 7, and 5), and we were sorry they had to end, so I planned a "field trip" to see her home (after attending the LHOTP Festival in Independence, KS a couple days prior).

The house tour was interesting. The boys remembered the Christmas clock Almanzo had given Laura for one of their first Christmases which sits in the dining room where it still works. It was very easy to imagine Laura sitting in the living room or on one of the porches. She's obviously still a very real presence at her house.

The museum was the best part, I think, because we could see Pa's fiddle which meant so much to Laura - and therefore she makes it mean something special to her readers with her vibrant way with words. We also saw the glass "Give Us this Day" plate which was one of the few things saved from the fire of Laura and Almanzo's first house.

We also toured the English style home that their daughter Rose had built for them in 1928. This is included with the price of admission. After touring the grounds, we left and paid our respects at Laura's, Almanzo's, and Rose's graves not too far away.

"So, yes," my sister-in-law sighed as we left, "I feel we definitely got our money's worth!"

Boys or girls, recently read her books or never read her books, living nearby or just driving nearby, this museum is more than worth the price of admission. I was happy to see plenty of people visiting the Monday we were there. I asked if today was normal as far as attendance, and the docent answered that it was a slow day. I'm happy to know that Laura still has many fans. (Especially when you realize that her daughter was famous long before Laura was.) I'm sure because her story - although historical - resonates with the true character of people of any century.

My boys are still talking about this wonderful place!

Visited June 2012
7 Thank dgn5cs

Bessemer, Pennsylvania
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“I loved it!”
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I have wanted to visit the Laura Ingalls Home/Museum since my childhood. I was not disappointed. There were so many items on display that I remembered reading about in the Little House books. It's amazing that Laura kept all of those things. The house where she & Almanzo lived was also very interesting. The tour guide had plenty of anecdotal stories to relate. My husband even enjoyed the house tour when you realize how much of the work was done by Almanzo himself. We spent two hours there, and I wish I had a little more time. We did go visit the Rock House down the road, but that wasn't nearly as interesting as the main home and museum.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank pollyqc99
Euless,
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Loved the Historic Home!”
Reviewed 17 May 2012

It was great to see where Laura Ingalls Wilder actually lived while she wrote the Little House on the Prairie books. If you're a fan this place is a must!

Visited May 2012
3 Thank K B
New Lenox
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A historic location... Interesting inside the home”
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Felt rushed through the tour. the Pre-Video is very poor quality, and the Projection TV is very much to blame. Sitting on benches to watch.

Visited May 2012
2 Thank tgmusicgirl
la porte, indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Thoroughly enjoyed it!”
Reviewed 1 May 2012

There was so much more there than I expected. So much history and a wonderful glimpse into what life was like for Americans at the time. The museum was full of historical items. The house tour was fascinating.

Visited April 2012