“Quick trip was enjoyable ”

Laura Ingalls Wilder Historic Home and Museum
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Mansfield
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

As someone who grew up on the Laura Ingalls Wilder books and has read them multiple times I was excited to visit the home where the book were written. It was neat to be able see Pa's fiddle as well as the other items in the museum. Her home was very well preserved and well kept by the museum staff. I would recommend it to other little house lovers, but those who aren't familiar with her stories might not find it as fun.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Being a fan of the Little House on the Prairie television show, I decided to take my family to visit the house where the books were written. There is an interesting museum to look over before taking the house tour. The tour guide did an excellent job of showing the house and catered both to the adults and the children in our group. Its not that far off the interstate and well worth a visit.

1  Thank maschmit
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My second visit in just over a year. First experience was rushed due to my schedule, but today we were able to spend a good two hours onsite. Last time, my host/tour guide was exceptional, but this time I wasn't as enamored- didn't share info in the same manner, and I felt I could have done almost as good a job. But, won't over-judge a place based on one tour guide. The Rocky Ridge farmhouse is amazing, beautifully preserved- it very much appears LIW simply walked out the door and turned off the lights. The museum needs refurbishment, but is chock full of fascinating artifacts, and I could stare at Pa's fiddle all day. The Rocky Ridge home is not quite as impressive from an artifact or display perspective, but the home is physically beautiful. The gift shop is extensive and reasonably priced. Only disappointment was that we weren't allowed to wander the ridge, which is what I really wanted to do this time out. A great place to visit. The drive from Branson to Mansfield is terrific- a wonderfully calming drive through the Ozarks.

2  Thank Donald T
Reviewed 6 April 2014

There is an exceptional collection of personal memorabilia of Laura Ingalls Wilder in the museum. You also get to tour the farmhouse built by Laura and her husband, plus The Rock House their daughter Rose built for them. The wonderful Little House books were written in these locations. The staff is most welcoming and knowledgeable.

Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

It is a must see place if you ever heard about "The little house on the prairies" books! The guide was very knowledgeable about Laura Ingalls life! We took our 10-y-old daughter who had read all the Little House's books and also play a role as "Laura Ingalls" at school! It was great for her to actually BE at Laura's house! We learned even more about her and also about her daughter, Rose Wilder! Amazing place! Very good for Missouri to have such a great historic place on its ground!
Don't miss it if you have a chance!