“As American as Apple Pie”

Laura Ingalls Wilder Historic Home and Museum
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Mansfield
Reviewed 24 October 2009

We are a well traveled family and have seen many areas of the country and numerous attractions and museums. The Laura Ingalls Wilder Home and Museum is one of the best we have seen probably because it is “real and true.” Obviously, we are familiar with Laura Ingalls Wilder as we have every book and “then some” in our house. My Wife and 10 year old daughter have read every book. They loved the museum and house as did I. My 13 year old did too. From my view point, this museum is of national significance and needs much, much more visibility. It is a major historical landmark and is as American as apple pie. It represents the true story of the American dream! We can still learn from the way they lived their lives over 100 years ago (hard work, honesty, persistence through adversity, etc). In Laura’s and Almanzo’s case, they were very successful without the books. But, it was from the books that Laura was successful sharing their story, thus leaving us with a true appreciation of her life.

We need to make sure that this historic home site is preserved for generations to come.

4  Thank airlinefamily36

Reviewed 7 October 2009

I visited Laura and Almanzo's home in Mansfield in June 2008, along with my mother, sister, nephew and daughter. I truly enjoyed it. The museum had many items of Laura and Rose, and I was surprised to even see Pa's actual fiddle. We weren't permitted to take pictures inside the museum or house, which was disappointing, but they have postcards in the gift shop that are reasonably priced.
The Rock House was not available for us to tour (I don't remember the reason why), but the tour of the Rocky Ridge house was great. The countertops in the kitchen are so low . . . I didn't realize that Laura had been so petite - only about 5' tall. I would like to return there again some day. I would recommend this tour to anyone who ever read and enjoyed Laura's books.

2  Thank LindaJB2
Reviewed 14 July 2009

We live in Florida and were on our way to Seattle, Wa. to visit our son. We were going to stop whenever we saw something interesting. The first day, we stumbled on Elvis' home in Tupelo, Mississippie and the next day we saw the sign for Laura Ingalls Wilder's home !!! We had no idea we were that close. We got there before it opened, but waited around. What a thrill. I, like others have mentioned, was thrilled to see Pa's fiddle. Also many items that Laura had as a child. Just a magical place, if you liked her books and the show "Little House on the Prairie". We met a woman who had followed the path of the Ingalls from Pepin to De Smet and she had waded in Plum Creek ! We are heading out to Seattle again in a few weeks. We are going back to Mansfield, on to Pepin and Plum Creek, and finally to De Smet. I can't wait !!

1  Thank Sue352
Reviewed 17 June 2009

This little museum and the two Wilder houses are a must see. I could not believe the museum had Pa's actual fiddle and so many precious things I'd read about in the books. The little homes are so sweet and Almanzo built much of the first home (I imagine all of it) and Laura, Rose, and Almanzo's graves are nearby.

We drove down Highway 5 from Lebanon so if you go that way, don't miss Grandpa Joe's Chocolates near Hartville at 7345 Highway 5. I was shocked at how good the dark chocolates were and they had a soda shop w/homemade shakes and cute house decorations and I even got homemade perfume that smells like cookies baking!

3  Thank EasternTraveler1921
Reviewed 16 June 2009

For those in our group who had not read any of the books, this was just OK. But for those who love the books, this was wonderful. The history has been so well preserved. So much of the house is just as it was when Almanzo and Laura lived there. There is a small museum and two houses with guided tours. When I visited as a young girl, they did not have the rock house that their daughter built for them available. But now you can tour both houses for one fee. These are the houses where she wrote her books as an adult (not the log house from the prarie). We enjoyed all of the pictures in the museum and actually seeing Pa's fiddle!

2  Thank texas_girl99