“A lovely Spring planting festival visit”

Bakersville Pioneer Village
Ranked #2 of 4 things to do in Mansfield
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A lovely Spring planting festival visit”
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

We are young, but avid gardeners, who have been purchasing seeds through Bakers Creek and loving the results. We decided to make the trip to the festival this year with another couple who love it as much as we do and we were not disappointed!

The slightly long trip from Nebraska was totally worth it! The grounds were completely packed with plants and trees of all varieties. The prices were so good we couldn't resist bringing back a couple of berry bushes and fruit trees in the back of our already tightly packed car. The seed store was filled with all of their available seed varieties as well as other gardening products and needs and the staff were kind and helpful, even with the massive crowds of people everywhere.

We also really enjoyed the bluegrass music. While this isn't something we would normally listen to, the groups were so good we still enjoyed them. The vast variety of venders were helpful and knowledgable and the atmosphere was great!

We enjoyed the donation based restaurant as well as cinnamon rolls, baked beans and cornbread. I even bought some teas from one of their stores.

We especially loved that they have keep the festival prices low enough that you can really enjoy yourself and get what you need without breaking the bank. We will definitely be back again!

Berryville, Arkansas
“Great heirloom plant (vegetables &flowers) diversity from vendors and even wildfowers!”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I love going every year. Depending on the weather and where you're able to park also helps in how enjoyable it is. If chilly, bring a jacket, but it's better than when it's pretty hot. If warm or hot weather, be sure to wear a hat and sunglasses help as well. Drink plenty of water and rest in the shade somewhere if needed because this year I endes up getting heat exhaustion and it made me so sad since it was harder to enjoy the festival. I did get a free bottle of water from a food vendor called The Aviary when they found out i was overheated and had to get to air conditioning for awhile right after ordering my food from them and didn't get back to get my food and they got worried. Food was delicious though. Wish it was a little cheaper. I am disappointed that the seed store doesn't have sales on the seeds during the festival like they did the first 2 or 3 times i came a few years ago. I always hoped they would because getting packets for $1.00 was awesome! I could afford more of the heirlooms i wanted to grow. I got a lot of nice plants, soap, roving wool and seeds while there. So wish i hadn't overheated or it would have been better. Wasn't able to go back and get some other plants i wanted to get after all. Wore myself out! Usually i do fine and don't have heat issues like that. Made me exhausted and with a bad headache. Just be sure not to stay in the sun constantly, wear a hat, rest once in awhile and drink water.

Visited May 2014
Carbondale, Illinois
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“A Visit During Spring Planting Festival, 2014”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I've bought seeds from Baker Creek for a number of years. This year, I finally planned a trip to coincide with the Spring Planting Festival. I was delighted to discover it's a mixture of exotic farmer's market, artist fair, and music festival.

Every year, The two day festival offers a number of speakers and more than a hundred vendors. The speakers are all experts in their fields, and they have a wealth of knowledge to share. Vendors run the gamut, including plant growers, wood carvers, painters, weavers, musicians, other types of artists, solar and wind companies, health-related items, food, and more. You can find things here you won't find any place else. The pros who attend know to bring small wagons, to get garden plants, bushes and tree starts back to their vehicles. Next time I visit, I'll do the same. Where else can you find exotic native plants in gallon pots, pawpaw trees in 7 gallon tubs, and several dozen varieties (and that's probably as gross underestimate) of heirloom tomato plants? If you come, bring something to carry or roll your purchases around.

Bakersville itself looks like a quaint little town on a hill. The big feature is their seed store, which I believe is a tremendous resource for heirloom gardeners. They literally have seeds from around the world of more edibles than you ever thought existed. I'm personally amazed at the sheer variety of tomatoes seeds they offer for every size, color and growing condition you might desire. If you garden and you're anywhere near, just go. Yes, you can order online, but but going in person is a special treat.

Visiting during the planting festival, or perhaps even during one of the smaller weekend festivals throughout the year, makes it a little difficult to navigate through the buildings. I did eat in their donation-based vegan restaurant. The menu changes, and it's simple, good food to give you a meal during your visit. Stop in and try it. The giant cinnamon rolls in the flour mill are also good. Expect a wait at both. There are nice soap and tea options in the apothecary. Beyond that, explore and see what else you can find.The whole place has a good feel, and the countryside is gorgeous.

Plan on walking some small hills, be prepared for gorgeous sun, and carry a water bottle. I would imagine Bakersville is fun anytime, but it's especially fun during the Spring Planting Festival for heirloom gardeners of any skill level.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank LHinkle
Ravenel, South Carolina
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“a hidden gem”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

my mom lives in Ava, and have been back to visit numerous times and had never had the opportunity to go to Bakers Creek. We went one Sunday afternoon and because I am a gardener, I fell in love with the place. I do not think there is are too many types of seeds you cannot find there.I went nuts and brought back packets and packets of all different kinds of fruits, vegetables, flowers and herbs.
and of course what would a visit be without a visit to the bakery. The sticky buns were to die for! And so were the apple fritters. Take the time to stop and see this place, it is truly amazing. very interesting for the entire family.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank patspetpalace
Mt Propsect IL
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Great place for heirloom seeds”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The village was not really operating when we visited, but the selection and knowledge of heirloom seeds was extensive. A bit hard to find.

Visited March 2014

Been to Bakersville Pioneer Village? Share your experiences!