“Terrific place to stay (but only if you're renting a car)”

Colosseum Luxury Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Century City
Sunnyvale, California
“Terrific place to stay (but only if you're renting a car)”
Reviewed 30 November 2011

I stayed at the Protea Hotel Colosseum for three nights during my first visit to Cape Town as well as my first visit to South Africa and the continent of Africa. The Protea is a very new hotel that is situated in the new upscale Century City area outside of the city center. The advantage to staying here is that congestion and crime are virtually nonexistent compared to the city center. Plus it's next to the huge Canal Walk shopping center. Also, if you need a quick snack, there is a small Woolworth's Food store right in the same building as the hotel (exit the lobby, turn right, walk around the corner), so you don't even need to walk or drive over to Canal Walk for that.

The hotel has a ground-level lobby, certain designated parking spaces in a shared underground parking garage, and two-room suites (living room and bedroom) on the fifth and fourth floors of a five-level building.

The hotel's interior design is sleek, ultramodern, and very pleasant to look at, although the lobby is a bit small and the lighting in the corridors is a bit dark. The rooms are clean, spacious and in excellent shape, with widescreen TVs; large, comfortable beds; and a separate shower and bathtub. No unusual smells or sights noted.

The disadvantages of staying here are as follows: no pool (which is kind of odd as two other hotels on the same block have small pools), no gym or exercise facility, and having to sit in morning rush-hour traffic to reach the city center. But if this is your first trip to Africa, you'll be too busy trying to see everything to take time out to exercise or go swimming. I was also slightly unnerved by the porter at check-in, who seemed a bit desperate to take my bags in order to earn tips, so I kept a tight hold on them.

This hotel is NOT a good choice if you're not renting a car for your visit, because then you'll be spending huge amounts on taxi fares just to go anywhere outside of Century City. But on the other hand, if you're renting a car (as I was) and planning to explore the rest of the Cape Town area outside of the city center, such as the Cape Peninsula, Bloubergstrand, etc., this hotel is a wonderful choice and I strongly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank coolcaesar
ProteaHotelColosseum, General Manager at Colosseum Luxury Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2011
Dear Coolcaesar
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your stay in Century City and at the Protea Hotel Colosseum. Our industry leaders say “a GUEST will see more in an hour, than the host in a year. We are extremely humbled by your feedback!. Your feedback is the one true yardstick by which we can measure our facilities and services. We hope to see you back in the near future.
Kindest regards
Stuart.
Protea Hotel Colosseum

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Arabic first
Cape Town
Reviewed 19 October 2011

From the time I made the reservation to the time I received the 'thank you for choosing us' email after I had left, I experienced nothing but the utmost professionalism, friendliness and efficiency. The suit was fabulous and the view of Table Mountain through the expansive glass windows was magnificent. I ordered room service and there was a good selection of tasty food and beverages to choose from that arrived in record time. With Century City a mere stroll away, there was every convenience one could wish for in close proximity. Will certainly be back to explore the restaurant and the on site spa treatments. I can certainly recommend that you give this hotel a try.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Glenda J
ProteaHotelColosseum, General Manager at Colosseum Luxury Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2011
Dear Glenda J

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor.

We truly value your support and your feedback.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Protea Hotel Colosseum in the near future.

Stuart Twine
Protea Hotel Colosseum
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 26 September 2011

If you are looking for a hotel with a good price and excellent service with an access to a shopping center then this is it. The waterfront is only 10min drive. parking is free. The things i only didn't like is the breakfast as it is very limited and everyday was the same.

Room Tip: Executive rooms
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Namakkal, India
Reviewed 18 September 2011

The room was just great will lovely Glass windows where you can see the grandeur of the mall. Just stayed for a day and loved the hotel. They were so nice to pack me breakfast for an early morning flight back to Joburg. I will definitely stay in this hotel when I visit Cape Town next. Dont miss!!!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Nataraj T
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Very clean, modern feel to this hotel. Interior done in a lounge/club style. Friendly staff and good location. Stayed in a family-room. Spacious and sleek. View was towards the mall, but the rooms facing Table Mountain have a great view. Breakfast was good in a lovely designed restaurant. Would recommend this hotel to business travellers, a young group of friends or modern couples. Very nice stay.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank carelbotha
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 15 July 2011

Difficult to add anything - from the time I drive into the parking garage - where I am met by a friendly porter, who carries my luggage for me, to the sherry/juice offered, friendly smiling faces - spotless room.
I suggest you request a non smoking room - if that's what you want - with a view of Table mountain.
There is nothing like relaxing in the awesome oval bath - overlooking the mountain - just recharges your energy - but is also mosty relaxing.
Breakfasts are excellent, fresh and with a great variety of healthy foods avaiable.

I have got quite acquainted with 'my goldfish' - who I believe misses me when I'm not there. (My personal letter tells me so) I really like this personal touch, when I'm so far from home, on my own.
Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Ask for what you want - e.g. room with a view of Table mountain
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 27 May 2011

I stay in many hotels around the world, including around South Africa. You would not find a nore welcoming experience than staying here. All the staff from the front desk through restaurant to chamber maids, were the most helpful, friendly team I have come across. I had a suite on the 5th floor which gave me views that were absolutely awesome. You want for absolutely nothing in this room, a home from home, just a far superior bed and bedding! I am yet to ask where they get their pillows from - I've just got to have at least one for home. To all the staff, this includes the breakfast grill lady :-) Thank You - I was so travel weary by the time I got to your hotel, I'd had enough - but you all made the difference - I am truly pleased I booked with your hotel. I wish I'd had enough time for a massage too.

Room Tip: 4th & 5th Floor - The Best!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
DoubleTree by Hilton Cape Town - Upper Eastside
The Bay Hotel
The Bay Hotel
#7 of 12 in Camps Bay

Been to Colosseum Luxury Hotel? Share your experiences!