“Nowhere near 4 star hotel”

Island Club Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Century City
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I wish I had checked Tripadvisor before making a reservation at this hotel.

We found the hotel hard to find - no signs on the road indicating where the hotel was. It's actually located in a complex down a side street and through a security boom.

The reception area was very small and plain - seemed more like an after-thought.

The room was quite large but the desk area was very cramped. Bathroom is modern and yet not very private as there is only a curtain between it and the bedroom.

The room itself was clean. As much as I like hotel rooms with a kitchenette, I found this one in need of some updating.

The TV in the room was extremely small and extremely old. Hard to see from the bed.

The aircon was not adequate to cool down the room. (Very hot day).

We requested a room change. We were shown to another room which was classified as a superior. The room was exactly the same except it had a balcony and view of the canal. (Nice view) The room was definitely a little cooler although nowhere near as cool as it should have been. (We were unable to lower the temp below 18 degrees C). We were told there was a R200 upgrade fee. I refused to pay an upgrade fee because we were not able to stay in the other extremely hot room. They agreed to wave the upgrade fee.

The new room had a double bed. We requested they split the beds into twins. Housekeeping took forever to arrive. Eventually arrived (looking very unhappy). Split the beds for us. When it came time for us to go to bed, we discovered the bed only consisted of an under sheet and a blanket. No top sheet. Phoned reception to let them know. Receptionist arrived with 1 dirty double top sheet. We pointed out we needed 2 single top sheets. He went away and then arrived back with the same dirty double sheet and a single duvet cover. (??) (Not sure why it was too difficult to bring us the 2 single top sheets we asked for). Off he went.

We were left to make the beds ourselves. (Nothing like a do-it-yourself hotel)

The hotel offers free wifi. When we tried using it we could not connect. Phoned reception. He came over and also could not connect. He said he would try changing the router but that never happened. So no internet during our stay.

Hotel has no dedicated parking. We had to park in a visitors bay on the other side of the complex and still pay for the privilege. (Not indicated on the website).

The only part of our stay which made us happy was to check out early the next morning.

Definitely will not stay there again and definitely will not recommend this hotel. A hotel that makes you make your own beds (with dirty sheets), sweating while you do so in the sauna like rooms is not my cup of tea.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank udivasdotcom

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I read tripadvisor reviews AFTER I had booked this hotel. I was very concerned as many reviews were not good. What a pleasant suprise! The room was clean, large and very comfortable. Breakfasts were really good too. The grounds and facilities were stunning. I honestly dont know what the staff could possibly have done, to improve their service! Friendly,helpful,quick and always there. It rained ALL weekend and not even the weather put a damper on our stay. I have already booked this hotel again for next month.

Room Tip: Choose a canal facing room if you can. Great views and huge balcony. Take a walk to the outdoor pool...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ann H
Kerry V, Manager at Island Club Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Hi Ann,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such positive feedback.

We are continuously trying to better the stay of our guests, and to achieve the highest level of service from our friendly staff.

I am glad that you got to experience what the Protea Island Club Hotel has to offer without being deterred from the odd negative review.

We think our hotel is something special (our canal views are truly amazing). We hope you have better weather upon your return and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Keep well, and travel safe,

Reviewed 23 July 2013

My wife and I went away for a night. Decided to try out Protea Island Club. I was very disappointed with this hotel.
Room was leaking water. It was also very far from the reception. Car had to park outside.
Defiantly one of proteas bellow average hotels. Would not stay there again.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EugenevanLogg
Reviewed 24 May 2013

The hotel is a rather depressing place. Hugely sprawled you might be unlucky enough to have to walk through dingy car parking spaces and hidden doors in for 10 minutes in order to find your breakfast. TVs are tiny. Rooms large. No wireless. Only plus points are that it is close to the mall if you want to do some shopping and the size of the rooms. Feels like you got a suite.

On top of that they put me in a room that was right next to a building site. No sleep after 0700. Mega noisy.

But a hotel without wireless internet? Seriously?

Room Tip: If you have to stay here pick a room with view to the fake canals.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2013

After lots of security gates, you reach the hotel reception. Staff is friendly while welcoming later they wont disturb you by being over friendly.

Rooms are big with wooden flooring. Next to entrance door is cupboard which has some kitchen utensils, microwave and glasses.
TV on the wall is small, but you are not there to watch TV anyways.
Bed is huge and very comfortable. Balcony is big with sunbath chairs for a couple and two normal chairs with a small table to enjoy canal view with drinks.
Bathroom is separated with thick curtain contains bathtub (not for tall guys, need to fold your leg :-( ). Shower is refreshing with multi-speed water jet.
Room has many night lamps, I like the one with foot button.

During day time (though you won’t stay at hotel) its boring. Thanks to mall across the canal.
Evening boat ride in canal is cool.
Best part is at night - the reflection of mall’s light into the canal water making the mirror image of mall.... awesome view.

Room Tip: Please ask for canal facing room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I have stayed here before and have a reference point to base judgement. Many times one has a great or bad experience and write about the property. My opinion is consistent with the last time so I feel it's pretty objective and accurate. Property: Rooms are large, clean, showers are great, and very modern. 8 out of 10 there. Front Desk: Friendly and helpful. 8 out of 10 Security: 8 out of 10. My issue is with the breakfast staff and quality. Sometimes they open late and sometimes on time. They really aren't that friendly nor make an effort o assist you. The hotel is very convenient to the Century Mall and have a great opportunity to "wow" their guests. The investment it takes to train and measure the staff customer service would pay back dividends. If there were other places for breakfast close, I would skip it there and leave feeling pretty good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the mall. You will get a great view of the river and large balcony.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank brianparsley
Reviewed 16 March 2013

This Protea Hotel is in close proximity to the Protea Crystal Towers. I could not secure a booking and as such decided to give Island Club a try. The lobby looks run down and left me apprehensive about the night ahead. The room itself was actually spacious and the bathroom was definately upgraded recently. The cupboards look tired and the self catering facilities are built into the cupboard space. At midnight the hotel staff woke me to ask me to move my car. When checking in I was not told the parking at the hotel entrance may not be utilised by hotel guests. I did not sleep well and will not be returning despite always trying to support Protea Hotels.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
StayEasy Century City
StayEasy Century City
#2 of 3 in Milnerton
DoubleTree by Hilton Cape Town - Upper Eastside

Been to Island Club Hotel & Apartments? Share your experiences!