“Too hostile”

Island Club Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Century City
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I didn't really like my experience at century city mostly for family reasons. What deceived me also was the lack of breakfast varieties in the restaurant. There were always the same stuffs to eat, no lunch nor dinner. However I enjoyed the rest of the accommodation and cleanliness of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 May 2014

My family and I stayed at this hotel for 8 nights. Travelling with two small kids we were given a smoking room. After complaining we were told on numerous occassions that the hotel was fully booked but we were promised to be moved to another room as soon as there was a vacancy available. That never materialsied and we were given no feedback whatsoever. What baffles me is that when we made the booking we were not informed that the room was a smoking room. To think that we specified on the booking form that were travelling with very small kids and yet we were allocated a smoking room!
Although the rooms were servives every day, stuff like cupboard doors, door handles, the bar fridge, picture frames needed some scrubbing and thorough cleaning - they were filthy dirty.
At one point we asked for fresh towels and had to wait for over 30 mins for them to be delivered to our room because the laundry truck had not arrived!
The breakfast menu was super boring - with the same "not so fresh looking" buffet every morning.When I asked for cappuccino I was informed that they were unable to make it as they didn not have coffee bean (why have the cappuccino machine in the first place)!
The only thing that compensated for the not so pleasant stay was the fact that the hotel is so close to the mall.
When I checked out a gave the same written feedback to the manager and I have not heard anything from anyone from the hotel - which makes me wonder why they bother to ask for feedabck if they are not going to do anything about it!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank pusegobinca
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

We fortunately only stayed one night. We were upgraded to a suite which looked very nice. Spacious.
The tv s are ancient. We could not get the local channels. After 5 calls to reception we were told it was too late for a technician.

There was no soap, the two small towels were hard and threadbare. No body lotion.

There is no room service??!!!!!!

We had to request a local delivery menu. Gave us a year out of date one.
There was only one spoon and one fork?!! in the kitchen.

This was the worst place I have stayed in in South Africa.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Mespey
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Me and my wife we stayed for 11 days and it was wonderful.

We appreciate the care and attention of the staff, the hotel offers quality services from the service, the food, transportation, telecommunications services.

Thanks for everything

Mr. and Mrs. Rodrigues

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CelsoRodrigues
Kerry V, Manager at Island Club Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Hello Mr. and Mrs. Rodrigues,

I am thrilled that your stay was thoroughly enjoyable. We are elated that you took the time to comment on your experience at the Protea Island Club Hotel.

Our guest are, and will always be our number one priority. The Protea Island Club Hotel looks forward to welcoming you back.

Keep well, and kind regards,

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I stayed here five nights on business. There was a hiccup with my reservation on the first night and the hotel management relocated me to a nearby five star property. Once I had checked into the Island Club, I found a large comfortable room equipped with a sink, microwave and small fridge. The room is open plan (with a curtain) to the toilet/shower area. There is a desk and chair area for computer usage or casual dining. The Internet connection was serviceable but not blistering fast and with occasional dropouts. Television included a decent selection of movie and news channels. Breakfast is served in a smallish cafe location on the ground floor and the selections are modest but the staff were friendly and accomodating.
The hotel is located near to the Canal Walk mall which is very very large and should accomodate anyone's shopping needs. You could walk there but carrying bags back might be tedious. Runners can find a pretty decent route (2 miles round trip) around the property and along the artificial canal. For reference, the hotel is a 15 minute drive from University of Cape Town or 20 minutes to the V&A Waterfront in non-peak traffic.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank GeorgeRex

Good afternoon Mr. Rex,

Thank you for your response and positive feedback.

Our hotel is well received with most guests finding the accommodation well above par. Our spacious rooms do offer comfort after shopping up a storm in one of South Africa's largest shopping centres. Next time you are down, we could arrange to rent you a paddle, and you can explore the area by canal - it is an experience worth considering.

Keep well, and we look forward to your safe return

Reviewed 9 January 2014

I wish I had checked Tripadvisor before making a reservation at this hotel.

We found the hotel hard to find - no signs on the road indicating where the hotel was. It's actually located in a complex down a side street and through a security boom.

The reception area was very small and plain - seemed more like an after-thought.

The room was quite large but the desk area was very cramped. Bathroom is modern and yet not very private as there is only a curtain between it and the bedroom.

The room itself was clean. As much as I like hotel rooms with a kitchenette, I found this one in need of some updating.

The TV in the room was extremely small and extremely old. Hard to see from the bed.

The aircon was not adequate to cool down the room. (Very hot day).

We requested a room change. We were shown to another room which was classified as a superior. The room was exactly the same except it had a balcony and view of the canal. (Nice view) The room was definitely a little cooler although nowhere near as cool as it should have been. (We were unable to lower the temp below 18 degrees C). We were told there was a R200 upgrade fee. I refused to pay an upgrade fee because we were not able to stay in the other extremely hot room. They agreed to wave the upgrade fee.

The new room had a double bed. We requested they split the beds into twins. Housekeeping took forever to arrive. Eventually arrived (looking very unhappy). Split the beds for us. When it came time for us to go to bed, we discovered the bed only consisted of an under sheet and a blanket. No top sheet. Phoned reception to let them know. Receptionist arrived with 1 dirty double top sheet. We pointed out we needed 2 single top sheets. He went away and then arrived back with the same dirty double sheet and a single duvet cover. (??) (Not sure why it was too difficult to bring us the 2 single top sheets we asked for). Off he went.

We were left to make the beds ourselves. (Nothing like a do-it-yourself hotel)

The hotel offers free wifi. When we tried using it we could not connect. Phoned reception. He came over and also could not connect. He said he would try changing the router but that never happened. So no internet during our stay.

Hotel has no dedicated parking. We had to park in a visitors bay on the other side of the complex and still pay for the privilege. (Not indicated on the website).

The only part of our stay which made us happy was to check out early the next morning.

Definitely will not stay there again and definitely will not recommend this hotel. A hotel that makes you make your own beds (with dirty sheets), sweating while you do so in the sauna like rooms is not my cup of tea.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank udivasdotcom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I read tripadvisor reviews AFTER I had booked this hotel. I was very concerned as many reviews were not good. What a pleasant suprise! The room was clean, large and very comfortable. Breakfasts were really good too. The grounds and facilities were stunning. I honestly dont know what the staff could possibly have done, to improve their service! Friendly,helpful,quick and always there. It rained ALL weekend and not even the weather put a damper on our stay. I have already booked this hotel again for next month.

Room Tip: Choose a canal facing room if you can. Great views and huge balcony. Take a walk to the outdoor pool...