“No longer a Protea Hotel”

Island Club Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Century City
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel was taken over by the SINGER group in August 2014. This means Prokard discounts and rewards no longer apply. They have kept the same amazing staff and the rooms are also unchanged. Will be interesting to see what, if any, changes the new owners will make.

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony are really best!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Island Club Hotel & Apartments

Reviewed 19 July 2014

This was my second time staying at the Protea Hotel Island Club and i was somewhat disappointed this time round - Although i was welcomed to the hotel with great enthusiasm, the room was spotless for the three nights i stayed at the hotel, i found the last day that the room had a leak right next to my bed. I also had the shower glass leaking when taking a shower and this left the floor soaking wet. The hotel is great breakfast delicious, but the it needs attention and some serious TLC.......

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is really a very nice bed & breakfast experience. You get bed and a full breakfast. There is gym though, you do have to ask each time for someone to unlock it for you.

EXPECT a bed and breakfast experience and you will be ok. If you think this is a 4 Star as advertised you will be bummed.

1. No bar, restaurant, vending machines, no minibar. So buy food or starve. No coffee or tea service. No food or drinks. EXCEPT breakfast. Which is nice. Coffee was spectacular. In room hot water pot with coffee, tea and little UHT milk.

2. Convenient to a shopping mall that has fast food chain restaurants, grocery store and a LOT of sports stores, several hair salons and stores that are ok. You won't find nifty gift items here nor nice things. You will find things that are staples.

3. Wifi: nightmare. Only works at night. After 9AM, starts going on the blink. Patience.

4. Staff was very nice to me. I checked in early, adjusted my room change (my room wasn't ready) so let me stayed in a similar value room early. But staff changes from weekend to week day. Week day staff, not so nice. Don't expect them to say hello or good by.

5. No concierge service.

6. Room clean, sheets clean, quiet even though I was on the first floor.

Room Tip: get the room with the Canal view. High floors they claim are for smokers but have the best views.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I didn't really like my experience at century city mostly for family reasons. What deceived me also was the lack of breakfast varieties in the restaurant. There were always the same stuffs to eat, no lunch nor dinner. However I enjoyed the rest of the accommodation and cleanliness of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My family and I stayed at this hotel for 8 nights. Travelling with two small kids we were given a smoking room. After complaining we were told on numerous occassions that the hotel was fully booked but we were promised to be moved to another room as soon as there was a vacancy available. That never materialsied and we were given no feedback whatsoever. What baffles me is that when we made the booking we were not informed that the room was a smoking room. To think that we specified on the booking form that were travelling with very small kids and yet we were allocated a smoking room!
Although the rooms were servives every day, stuff like cupboard doors, door handles, the bar fridge, picture frames needed some scrubbing and thorough cleaning - they were filthy dirty.
At one point we asked for fresh towels and had to wait for over 30 mins for them to be delivered to our room because the laundry truck had not arrived!
The breakfast menu was super boring - with the same "not so fresh looking" buffet every morning.When I asked for cappuccino I was informed that they were unable to make it as they didn not have coffee bean (why have the cappuccino machine in the first place)!
The only thing that compensated for the not so pleasant stay was the fact that the hotel is so close to the mall.
When I checked out a gave the same written feedback to the manager and I have not heard anything from anyone from the hotel - which makes me wonder why they bother to ask for feedabck if they are not going to do anything about it!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank pusegobinca
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

We fortunately only stayed one night. We were upgraded to a suite which looked very nice. Spacious.
The tv s are ancient. We could not get the local channels. After 5 calls to reception we were told it was too late for a technician.

There was no soap, the two small towels were hard and threadbare. No body lotion.

There is no room service??!!!!!!

We had to request a local delivery menu. Gave us a year out of date one.
There was only one spoon and one fork?!! in the kitchen.

This was the worst place I have stayed in in South Africa.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Mespey
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Me and my wife we stayed for 11 days and it was wonderful.

We appreciate the care and attention of the staff, the hotel offers quality services from the service, the food, transportation, telecommunications services.

Thanks for everything

Mr. and Mrs. Rodrigues

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CelsoRodrigues
Kerry V, Manager at Island Club Hotel & Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Hello Mr. and Mrs. Rodrigues,

I am thrilled that your stay was thoroughly enjoyable. We are elated that you took the time to comment on your experience at the Protea Island Club Hotel.

Our guest are, and will always be our number one priority. The Protea Island Club Hotel looks forward to welcoming you back.

Keep well, and kind regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Century City
StayEasy Century City
StayEasy Century City
#2 of 3 in Milnerton
DoubleTree by Hilton Cape Town - Upper Eastside

Been to Island Club Hotel & Apartments? Share your experiences!