Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. Louis Westport Plaza
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Maryland Heights
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My husband, adult son, and I stayed here for 4 nights in a Penthouse Suite, which is basically a 2-story, 2 bedroom, 2 bath townhouse. The room was clean and comfortable, with everything you would need to stay awhile. The room was exactly as expected, but the service set this hotel apart.
When we first got to our room, my son went to take a shower, and found the upstairs tub not draining. We called the front desk, and within 5 minutes a man from maintenance was there, bringing tools, more towels, and bottles of cold water for us. The tub was fixed in another 5 minutes. This is only one example of the attentive, friendly service.
The pool area was great, as it is outdoors, and has an adjacent fire pit lounge area. It looks exactly as pictured. We would definitely stay here again, in fact I already have reservations for later this year. Great value hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013
chuck s, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. Louis Westport Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

TeamBE,

Thank you for your review of the Residence Inn St. Louis Westport hotel. We pride ourselves in exceptional service and it seems we hit that.

Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

• Stayed: September 2013

TeamBE,

Reviewed 27 February 2014

I've stayed at this Residence Inn for hundreds of days between 05 and 09 but haven't been here for about 4 years. It used to be a great place for an extended stay but it has not been upgraded in too many years. The furniture is old and battered, the mattress was well past the point of needing replacement, and the "leather" recliner must have been rescued from the dumpster of some hotel that did upgrade. Add to that a printer in the "Business Center" that didn't work, chipped dishes, missing flatware and a heater/AC that was somehow sucking in the kitchen smells from the room below and you've got a real stinker. Marriott Corporate should pull this franchisees license immediately-- the worst Marriott experience I've had in 25+ years of being an exclusive Marriott guy.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Mark F
chuck s, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. Louis Westport Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Mark F

Thank you for taking time out and sending your review on our hotel. I am deeply troubled to learn of your issues with our hotel. I have shared your comments regarding the condition of the property with our maintenance team as well as corporate office and together we are taking your issues very strongly as we look to move forward. In addition I have asked our Executive Housekeeper to review the room items see if there is a trend or a common thread that we can address. Lastly, I want to apologize for the impression we left as a proud member of the Marriott family. We will certainly try harder to impress our guests going forward.

Sincerest Apologies,

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here. A friend from Seattle flew into Lambert STL airport and I drove 3 hours to meet her there. We stayed at this Residence Inn for three nights. Residence Inns are my favorite of the Marriott brands because they are basically small apartments, intended for longer stays. They are great for families because they have well-stocked kitchens so you can cook, plenty of closet space and they have rooms that sleep more than the usual amount of people with pull-out couches and typically a recliner type chair. This property in the Westport Plaza area definitely fit the bill for what we needed because my friend brought her infant. (Note: this hotel is an exterior entry Residence Inn. It looks like an apartment complex. I know some travelers, especially women traveling solo prefer interior entry.)

Our room had 2 bedrooms - one was off the living room area with French doors. She took that room. When the doors were closed, I could barely hear the baby cry, and she had her own closet and full bathroom in there. My bedroom was open-loft style up the stairs from the kitchen. The wall is tall enough to have privacy, but from up there, you can hear anything that goes on in the kitchen or living room. It was very cute though, and worked very well for our purposes.

While there were a few places that were getting worn, I thought that the inside and outside of the property were pretty well maintained and looked great.

Breakfast was a decent hot buffet with the typical boil-in-bag eggs, microwaved sausage/ham and microwaved pancakes. Fine for a family, but the areas were a little cramped, especially on Saturday and Sunday mornings when there are a lot of people.

I must give a major shout-out to Coleisha, the breakfast gal, who was just amazing. She didn't flinch when my friends 11-month old began making a mess as babies do, and she came over a few times while we ate to say hello to the baby, and even brought her a little pink hippo tub toy (which the baby would not let go of for the rest of the weekend!). I thought that was exemplary service. Even better, the next morning, Coleisha remembered the baby's name, and was just as pleasing even though she knew there was probably going to be another mess. We tipped her well.

I thought our stay here was great and would definitely come back. The rates here are typical Residence Inn prices - $119-$149-ish and it's worth it, especially if you want a stocked kitchen.

The hotel is a little out of the way in the business area, but it's quiet and feels safe.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

NMichele12,

Thank you so much for your kind words, regarding your most recent stay with us at the Residence Inn St. Louis/Westport. We appreciate you taking the time to let TripAdvisor and other people know of your great experience.

I am passing on your review of our property and "Shout Out" to Colisha. She truly is a role model for all our staff in customer service.

We look forward to your next visit,

Reviewed 15 February 2014

This is an older Residence Inn nestled among the offices at Westport Plaza in St. Louis. I found it very well maintained with outstanding service. The night I arrived, many guests were enjoying the complimentary evening meal in the lobby. My room was very clean and comfortable - excellent bed and shower, many channels to choose from on the large flat screen TV, and a full kitchen with a full size range, microwave, and refrigerator. When I checked out, the front desk agent made me feel appreciated as a guest and asked if there was anything else they could do for me before I left. They also offer the standard Residence Inn breakfast, complimentary local newspaper, USA Today, and Wall Street Journal. Breakfast was excellent in the warm and inviting lobby area. This property has an excellent staff, including the general manager who was greeting guests the evening I arrived.

Room Tip: To avoid traffic noise from I-270, ask for a room away from the highway.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
chuck s, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. Louis Westport Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Dear LoveCarmel42 ,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your most recent stay. We are delighted that your stay with the Residence Inn St. Louis Westport Plaza was enjoyable.

St. Louis / Westport Residence Inn
chuck.schoene@marriott.com
314-469-0060

Reviewed 9 January 2014

This Residence Inn is the worst I've ever stayed. They are cheaper than the other Marriotts, but they sure make you feel, "you get what you pay for". I stayed at the hotel a numerious times and the room were always dirty with dust and hair. The heat didn't work properly a few times, that they had to bring me an electrical heater to warm a studio room. The most disturbing complaint is the staff! The general manager was rude, disrespectful and arrogant. The front desk staff were fake with their approach to me and became less welcoming and helpful. I heard about other guesst leaving the Residence Inn to go stay at a near by hotels. After a few months, I just decided to stop going to the hotel, because there was always an issue that the staff wouldn't accommodate.

Room Tip: They do have some nice rooms that the furniture is messed up, that doesn't smell, and the heat o...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank OSilerio
chuck s, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. Louis Westport Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Mrs. Silerio,

Thank you for taking time out and sending your review on our hotel. I am deeply troubled to learn of your history of issues with our hotel and your decision to stay somewhere else. I have shared your comments regarding cleanliness with our executive housekeeper and together we are doubling our efforts to make sure nothing slips through the cracks going forward. In addition I have asked our engineer to review heating complaints and see if there is a trend or a common thread that we can address. Lastly, I want to apologize for any rudeness or arrogance on the part of myself or any other staff member here at the hotel. Anything of that sort is obviously unacceptable. We will certainly try harder to impress our guests going forward.

Sincerest Apologies,

Reviewed 21 December 2013

The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful during our small family reunion. Katie from the front desk went out of her way and helped us salvage a dinner disaster and saved the day. Housekeeping did a great job keeping us supplied while we were moving around. The rooms had plenty of space and were very well maintained. We'd definitely go back if in St Louis again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
chuck s, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. Louis Westport Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Mike A,

Thank you for taking the time to send in your review of the The Residence Inn by Marriott St. Louis / Westport. It is great to hear how Katie worked with you to create such a memorable moment. Also, housekeeping keeping your room clean and supplied.

We look forward to your next visit,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maryland Heights
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. Louis Westport
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. Louis...
#1 of 18 in Maryland Heights
Days Inn - ST. Louis/Westport MO
Days Inn - ST. Louis/Westport MO
#10 of 18 in Maryland Heights
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. Louis - Westport
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. L...
#4 of 18 in Maryland Heights
Comfort Inn St Louis - Westport
Comfort Inn St Louis - Westport
#9 of 18 in Maryland Heights
Best Western St. Louis Inn
Best Western St. Louis Inn
#1 of 1 in Tesson Ferry
Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis/South I-55

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. Louis Westport Plaza? Share your experiences!