“Nice place, but it's good to know that...”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. Louis Westport Plaza
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Maryland Heights
Washington, DC
“Nice place, but it's good to know that...”
Reviewed 23 August 2009

Check in was a snap. We arrived early and Stephanie was very helpful. We went directly to our room. Not the Arch view that we had hoped for, but the room was very comfortable. The hotel is a bit far from any attractions, but the complementary shuttle took us to the down town area. We had a fire alarm at 3:00 a.m. caused by a guest that was cooking and fell asleep and burned whatever the food was supposed to be. That was very unnerving, but ended quickly. This must be quite a "party" hotel with teens, so pack your patients. All in all, it was a safe, clean, satisfactory experience.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 29 July 2009

This is a WONDERFUL property located in a " business park setting", in West County, not far from Westport Plaza. It was a little hard to find, though. Nothing prepared me for the wonderful suprise I was about to receive when I arrived, as I had never stayed in a Residence Inn before. This is an extended stay type of property, which was set up like an INDIVIDUAL APARTMENT-like room. This was so much nicer than your standard hotel room. Each " Suite/Apt-room had their own private entrance from the outside. Once inside, there was a fully equipped--I repeat: FULLY EQUIPPED kitchen, complete with Microwave, stove, refrigerator w/ ice maker. Dishes, dishtowels, paper towels , dish soap, a dishwasther,table, chair couch, etc. T here was also a flat screen tv with cable, which I liked. On the granite counters was a " survival kit" which included coffee, other items and a bag of popcorn for the microwave ( you can purchase more after the "free bag" has been eaten, at the front desk. The bathroom, had all the basics plus a few more, such as body wash. My only complaint really was that the lotion smelled " rank" like it was old and had been around a long time. I knew the scent it was supposed to be, because I had recently stayed at another Marriott property and received the same lotion, which smelled really good.

It was like being in an apartment. If you get the back part facing the trees, it is like facing a park. It was so tranquil and peaceful. Some of the rooms had patios that you could go out on. Some of the rooms, were " penthouses" complete with fireplaces and bedrooms. " I caught a special", so the price I paid was well worth the money for the space and all the anemeties I had.

The checkin desk is located at what is called " the Gatehouse". Here , you can get complelmentary coffee 24/7, use one of two computers, purchase snacks at " The Marketplace", and have complimentary breakfast of eggs, sausage , breads, cereal, oatmeal, and make your own waffles. For the breakfast I suggest that you get there EARLY because seating is VERY limited.

My stay was excellent here, and I will DEFINITELY be staying again here in the very near future! :)
As far as things in the immediate area like restaurants. You need to have a car, so you can find them. There is a McDonalds' a few miles away. Lots of stuff up and down Olive Blvd ( take Interstate 270 to Olive exit)

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank Neeneed
minnesota
Reviewed 10 July 2009

We loved it ! Great outdoor pool and big room - we got a 2 bdrm loft - ended up staying an extra night because it was so nice - beds are REALLY comfy! We had room 122 and the rooms on that side of the building were facing trees and a nice yard ... the other side was facing the parking lot and a busy road. Everyone that worked there was so nice and helpful!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank dalphoebe
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 15 August 2008

This is a pleasant Residence Inn near Westport Plaza. My room was newly renovated and had everything you would expect at a Residence Inn. I did not hear any freeway noise at all during my stay - in fact I thought that it was quieter than many other places where I've stayed. Room was clean, service was good.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Southeast Missouri
Reviewed 20 May 2006

My family and I were in St. Louis for two nights for our daughter's college graduation and decided to rent a hotel unit where we could all stay together. We ended up renting a penthouse suite at the Residence Inn in the Westport area and were very pleased with our choice. The unit had two bedrooms with a sofa bed in the living area, 2 bathrooms, and a full kitchen with cooking and serving utensils, icemaker in the refrigerator, and a dishwasher. There were 3 TV's in the suite. We were very comfortable there and pleased with our rate of $129, which when split among families made the cost less than smaller, economic hotels. There was also a full hot complimentary breakfast in the lobby, which added to its value. The breakfast had different items each morning and included eggs, a meat, biscuits, gravy, pancake and waffle station, fresh fruit, bagels, cereal, and toast. There was also an evening happy hour, which we did not go to, so I don't know what that included. There were also other amenities we didn't use, such as a fitness center. The staff was extremely courteous, friendly, and helpful with every request we had, and when we had trouble figuring out the cooling system thermostat, someone immediately came to the unit to check it out. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, and my husband loved all the extra pillows on the bed. The hotel was located conveniently for us in the Westport area, near several restaurants and easy access to I270. It is located in a corporate park area, which felt safe. If there was any downside to the room, it would be the close proximity to the noise of the traffic on I270. However, that was minor and a trade-off for the convenience of the location. Overall, this was an excellent hotel choice and I would highly recommend it. While the penthouse suite would probably be too large for us when travelling alone, we would definitely stay at this hotel again when in the area.

3 Thank doctorjr
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 February 2006

had a wonderful time at this hotel in one of their 2 bedroom loft rooms. nice room, nice staff, great breakfast, located well with many things to do near by. staying there again this summer (2006)

• Stayed June 2004
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 August 2005

We stayed at the Residence Inn in August 2005. We decided to splurge for a two bedroom, 2 bath suite at the Residence Inn. Big mistake! We were hugely disappointed.

First of all, the bedroom upstairs is a loft room, which would be okay, except that the room was noisy -- The hotel is right off the expressway, and all night long, we woke up hearing trucks and heavy traffic going by.

The hotel is constructed of cheap materials, doors etc. are flimsy, but that wasn't the worst of it.

A list of the problems included:

1) very hard, uncomfortable beds
2) neither of 2 tubs drained well, water sitting in the tubs long after the showers were completed.
3) one of the shower curtains was dirty and moldy
4) there was no shampoo in either bathroom
5) there was no regular coffee in the room, only decaf.

The sole bright spot was a nice breakfast in the morning, with a variety of food options.

But, for the money you can do much better elsewhere.

Stayed August 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maryland Heights
Sonesta ES Suites St. Louis
Sonesta ES Suites St. Louis
#1 of 7 in Creve Coeur
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. Louis Westport
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. Louis...
#2 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Days Inn - ST. Louis/Westport MO
Days Inn - ST. Louis/Westport MO
#6 of 17 in Maryland Heights
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. Louis - Westport
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. L...
#3 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Hampton Inn & Suites St. Louis/South I-55
Clayton Plaza Hotel
Clayton Plaza Hotel
#3 of 5 in Clayton

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. Louis Westport Plaza? Share your experiences!