“Pet Friendly? In name only.”

Hollywood Casino St. Louis Hotel
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Maryland Heights
Fairview Heights, Illinois
“Pet Friendly? In name only.”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

If you want to pay the $47 fee, per night, and put up with having to trek through crowded hallways and take busy elevators, to eventually get to a little landscaping with rocks for your pet to relieve itself; then I guess this hotel is "pet-friendly".
First, the lady with reservations gave me a stern lecture about their pet policy. "The first time someone complains about your dog barking, you get a warning. The second time, you will be asked to leave." Luckily, we had no complaints, although our little dog did occasionally bark, in the room and on the journeys outside. Secondly, they put us in the middle of what appeared to be a "party floor". Rowdy people were hauling coolers to their rooms. With all these loud people going by our door, our dog will sometimes bark. What's worse? People, young and old, intentionally being loud in a casino hotel (where people could be sleeping any time of the day) or a dog that barks at them? I guess I'm different. Any conversation I have in a hallway is at a subdued level.
Now that I got that off my chest...to the room.
We stayed in the Sunset Tower. Nice, clean room. About average for a casino of this caliber. No view other than the roof the casino. The bed was great. So was the ventilation that allowed the fan to stay on to create some background noise to mask outside noises. The hi-def TV had no hi-def channels, just normal programming stretched wide, and several channels had poor reception. The bathroom was nice, but a bit small. It had a nice deep tub with a curved shower rod---the kind that always tends to be loose and droop.
Housekeeping and Front Desk personnel seemed friendly and accommodating. We wanted to get home before some bad weather was coming in and they allowed us to cancel our second night of stay without penalty. We were also allowed a late checkout without additional charge. What they couldn't help us with was adjusting the cost of the room, based on our casino play, even after a long night of gambling.
No review of their buffet or restaurants this visit. Their prices are a bit too steep, so we ate at Ameristar (5 min away).

Room Tip: Don't have your pet with you at checkout. They might forget the fee.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Seguin, TX
Reviewed 22 February 2014

After reading some other negative reviews, I almost changed my hotel plans for a recent weekend trip but glad I stayed with my first choice -- to see how much the place changed when it changed hands. The service was excellent in the restaurants and the casino. My room was lovely and very clean. The casino was great fun and unlike previous visits I was regularly asked if I needed anything. A steak dinner at Final Cut was exceptional and I plan to eat there again in the future.

Room Tip: Distance from the elevators is a good thing. You avoid the ice machine and noisy arrivals.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank gingertexas51
Saint Charles, Missouri
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The room we stayed in was the upgraded king bed, non-smoking. It's the best room you can get unless you want a mini-suite. Don't waste your money. You will spend nearly $300 for a room that is the same size as any normal room at any regular hotel. There was nothing special about it at all. Plus, the water that came out of the faucet was cloudy and tasted nasty. I'm never going back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Richard P
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

My reason for getting on here was because I couldn't find a comment card in the casino. I would like to make a complaint about how I felt like I was treated when I came into the casino tonight. When I approached the entrance to the casino floor your security officer Andrew didn't approach me and ask for my ID, but instead stood behind the podium and motioned for my ID. I felt like I had to go out of my way to make him comfortable and I'm not the one at work. I come to your casino every week and I do have a red producer's card and every single other security officer stands at a reasonable distance for the entrance. This makes me feel welcomed. He checked my ID weeks ago and did the same thing and I was going to write a review but I couldn't find a place on the website. All in all, because I had to cater to him a second time it actually made me want to turn around and leave. I don't know if it's because he's lazy or that I am black that he didn't care to take me out of my way but I certainly feel like
It was.

Also a couple weeks ago I called and booked a room over the phone and when I got all the way up there the front desk lady said I didn't have a reservation. A lady named " something"-quita took my reservation.
I've booked rooms there often in the past and the accommodations have always been nice. I left there that day without a room and my plans for that day were ruined. Now I'm afraid to book another room because I don't want to waste my time getting my hopes up or getting ready for a getaway to show up to a nonexistent reservation that I made over the phone.

• Stayed February 2014
4 Thank bmcol
Waterloo, Illinois
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Once again I was completely disappointed by Hollywood casino. The staff is so rude! I keep thinking it's going to get better but it doesn't. They are not friendly or helpful. They all have an attitude that does not make you feel welcome. If their staff were decent to their guests they wouldn't have to waste as much money on commercials. ..

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank jen2978
Itasca, Illinois
Reviewed 31 January 2014

The "New Hollywood" has just had a real nifty facelift; however, if you're looking for totally luxurious rooms you can book one of their suites. The resort has everything you need for a totally wonderful stay. Neat, clean and friendly. Check in desk right next to the garage exit/entry; nice people to check you in and tell you about the resort. Numerous excellent restaurants so you don't even have to go outside at all for food. We found this resort to be well situated and very easy to find. Many casino resorts don't have pools because they want you to be on the floor gambling. That was OK with us because we knew that up front. Our room was quite adequate with a heating/cooling system which provided us with everything we needed including large desk, easy chair, closet with safe deposit box in the room with us. The housekeeping staff rejuvenated our room a bit later in the day because we wanted to sleep later. They were very helpful in asking if we needed extra coffee, towels or anything else. We booked 2 nights and were having such a fun time, we decided to stay for the 4 as offered. Our room was very clean and comfortable after having just undergone a renovation. We loved the "New Hollywood" and will return again.

Room Tip: The 5th floor is high enough to overlook a large river and scenery was quite nice. We saw a bald eag...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frances M
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We recently stayed 2 nights and were very disappointed. The room was reasonably nice, but the view out the window is pretty dismal. There is no pool or hot tub. The rooms are not soundproofed at all, as we found out the hard way. And we had to fight with housekeeping to get someone to come make the bed and give us fresh towels on the second day we were there. And talking to a manager did not help at all (he was actually hostile). Hollywood reportedly spent $62 million revamping the old Harrah's casino. I wish they had saved some for fixing up the hotel!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 915SteveM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maryland Heights
River City Casino & Hotel
River City Casino & Hotel
#17 of 120 in Saint Louis
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. Louis Westport Plaza
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham St. L...
#1 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Holiday Inn Express Riverport St. Louis
Holiday Inn Express Riverport St...
#15 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Homewood Suites St. Louis-Riverport
Homewood Suites St. Louis-Riverp...
#10 of 17 in Maryland Heights
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. Louis - Westport
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel St. L...
#3 of 17 in Maryland Heights
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. Louis Airport - Riverport
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. Louis...
#11 of 17 in Maryland Heights

Been to Hollywood Casino St. Louis Hotel? Share your experiences!