“Don't rent a pet friendly cabin..you'd be better off in a tent!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Mark Twain Landing

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monroe City
Mark Twain Landing
Houston
“Don't rent a pet friendly cabin..you'd be better off in a tent!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

When I booked this cabin i was unsure about bringing my pet. As the date approached I called and informed them that I was not bringing him and they told me that was no problem, just inform them upon arrival. Doing what I was told, I was informed that I would still have to pay the $25 pet fee. I was completely unhappy with that because I was told that I would not have to pay if I had changed my mind. We arrived at out cabin and found carpet in the bedroom...hmm...carpet in a pet friendly cabin...totally smelled of urine. The odor was so bad we had trouble sleeping. Upon checking out I thought I would give the place one more chance to honor their word...the Manager informed me that even if I had arrived there and that was the last cabin available that I would STILL be charged the $25 pet fee..without even having a pet!? LUDICROUS!!! When I complained about the odor, she informed me that the cabins were being remodeled~yes, with my money ...and she just glared at me. Apparently the management skills required to run this place are zero...I would look elsewhere to find a place to stay..Just to be clear about policies...the rest of the trip I had no problem with the other campgrounds (Basswood/Branson KOA) about not having to pay for my dog that I decided not to bring...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank salliejanep
Brian S, Public Relations Manager at Mark Twain Landing, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We sincerely apologize for the fact you were charged for a pet you did not bring with you. This should not have happened and we will do our best to make sure that it never happens to another guest. Since your visit we have completed the remodel on our rustic cabins that you mentioned and they are ready for campers. We have also brought on our managers Michael and Terry to help with changes to our park. We greatly appreciate your comments and hope you'll consider us again if you are in the area.

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
London, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

We decided to stay here with some apprehension having read a lot of negative reviews but we were pleasantly surprised. We were told over the phone that we did not need to book ahead because they would have plenty of sites (the camp is very large). Our satnav took us to its version of the address and there was no sign of the camp, we eventually found it about a mile further on up a side road, the key to its location being the water park. We have not seen any directional signs for the camp anywhere. Check in was very welcoming, we were given a 30% mid week discount (as against the standard 10% Good Sam) and we were offered a choice of sites on the main tarmacadam road. There was torrential rain at the time and so we were pleased to see that our pitch was a concrete hard stand with very little gravel or pooling of water around. Cable worked quite well, the internet was down because of the thunderstorm, power and water were ok, the water point being shared with the adjacent site (there are two outlets). Many but not all of the sites have good shade. Based upon a one night stay, we have no complaints.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are so glad to hear you had a wonderful time at our campground. We do our best to make sure all of our guests leave happy and hope we'll see you again one day!
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

I've been going here every year in June and it is terrible. They overcharge people's stays. The cabins are full of bugs and u have to provide your own toilet paper and towels. It costs way too much. And if u have a pet do not bring them here because some cabins do not allow them which is stupid. On top of that the people that work there are very rude and disrespectful . Do not go here. We're not visiting here anymore . We're finding somewhere else to go as a family trip. :/

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank BDubbb
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Since your visit we have been working hard to making changes to our campground that include providing our guests with a better experience in our cabins. We do have some pet-friendly cabins but also have some that do not allow pets so our guests with allergies have a place to stay as well. We appreciate your honesty and will do our best to avoid having this situation happen again.

Travellers are raving about these Monroe City hotels

Illinois City, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

Our family reunion was ruined at Mark Twain Landing! My family (23 of us) stayed in the Rustic Cabins. Unfortunatley, they do not tell you they are located across from the parks sewage area! My husband & I decided, well, we won't be here to much, we can handle it......wrong! It wasn't so much the sewer, but our cabin bedroom reeked of urine! Horrible! I talked to a couple of housekeepers, they did give me baking soda to sprinkle on the floor, and an air purifier to plug in. So, at least they tried.

Then I find out that my cousins were charged $100 after they got home(on their Credit card!!) because they said someone urinated on the bed?!! Are you kidding me?!!!! So false!!! They are a racket!!! My advice??? Stay away from this place!!

3 Thank Robin W
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review Robin. We sincerely apologize for our delayed response and for the problems you had during your stay. I believe we have already responded to the review your cousins left but we wanted to address those concerns with you as well. Since your visit our manager Paula who charged those extra fees is no longer with us. We have also completely remodeled the rustic cabins and made numerous improvements to them. While we might not ever win back your business, we are listening to our customers now and hope to avoid this type of thing happening to anyone else in the future.
Kansas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

First off, I had not planned on submitting a review because I was torn both ways. The grounds were very nice and clean, however, the Rustic Cabins, not so much. It seemed as if they came in and just dusted a bit and left. They smelled awful too. Plus they are by the sewer treatment plant - which they don't tell you or show on the map - so you don't knew that you are going into a stinky mess to begin with.

The staff was friendly with the EXCEPTION OF MANAGER PAULA. The owners of this facility need to know the business she loses due to her horrible managerial skills. This is the ONLY REASON I felt compelled to write this review. Otherwise, I would have left the little things go; i.e. dirty cabin and sewage smell. Because we were very happy with the playground, pool and Splash Landing. Unfortunately, HORRIBLE customer service just doesn't cut it.

So, I sit here and write this unfortunate review because after arriving home, I see they have charged my credit card an additional $100. Upon speaking with Paula, she indicates someone "urinated" on the mattress. Funny thing because one BED my husband and I slept with a pillow top that we brought ourselves and the other BED was used to lay luggage on because the floors were filthy. My kids, ages 7 and 8 slept on the futon. I and my husband personally inspected the cabin before leaving and left it in better condition that it was given to us! Wiped everything down and swept.

However, our cousins, two doors down, during this trip did have urine in their cabin and by the way, the HOUSEKEEPERS were very pleasant in helping them get rid of the odor. So, PAULA you say we urinated on the mattress and you charged us $100 to replace it? Hmm, what did you do about replacing items causing the urine smell two doors down.

CONCLUSION: Is this how you make extra money on your premises? By charging people with "fake" charges? I can 100% GUARANTEE OUR CABIN WAS LEFT IN BETTER SHAPE THAN ON DAY 1.................

Please take these reviews on Trip Advisor serious. It's a great site and VERIFIES all reviews. I just wish I had read them before we booked out cabins. We rented 6 of their 12 available Rustic Cabins, obeying their "long list of rules", left the cabins clean, and instead of appreciating our business and welcoming us back, we are left with a $100 charge and false accusations. I sure hope no one else has to go through this.

3 Thank FURIOUS-FURIOUS
Thank for you taking the time to leave us a review. First, let us apologize both for the delayed respond to your comments and for your experience. Paula is no longer with us and the rustic cabins you stayed in during your trip have now been completely remodeled. We are constantly working to make improvements and while we might not win back your business, please know that are listening to you and all of our guests now.
Saint Charles, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

Stayed at Mark Twain Landing with family. We did not have any unpleasant staff members. They all seemed friendly. The only draw back I could see is the lay out. Since the deluxe cabins are on the other side of the campgrounds from the rustic cabins it made getting together for dinner and late night camp fires a little difficult. Especially with a one year old that needed to get to bed.

Other than that it was peaceful and relaxing. Splash Landing wasn't huge but it was good enough for cooling off in the hot sun! Plenty of beer and fun with the family helped to make it a great getaway.

It is not a royal palace but it is suppose to be camping. Sure the wifi didn't work all that well but it is good to disconnect. That is the whole reason to go!

I think we are booking the same week next year but will get cabins closer together.

Room Tip: You can not stand up in the loft in the deluxe cabin and the stand up shower is tiny! But the view...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review! We truly are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Can't wait to see you again this year. You'll have an even better time as we have made quite a few upgrades!
Topeka, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

I visited Mark Twain Landing with my extended family (several adults ranging from 30-60 yrs old and kids from 2-13 yrs old) for 3 nights. We rented 3 deluxe cabins and 2 golf carts.

The cabins are basically single wides outfitted to look "cabin-like." They are very clean and had central A/C. Each cabin had a screened-in porch (but access to the porch was a pain as the only way to get in was to go all the way through the cabin to a separate door. With kids taking naps, this was problematic. 3 of the other cabins had their own doors directly to the porch). Each cabin also had a stove, oven, refrigerator/freezer, and bathroom with a shower. Pretty good for "camping."

The cabins did heat up quite a bit in the late afternoon and that made it quite unpleasant indoors.

The amenities of MTL are abundant...sand volleyball, playground, water park, paddle boats, game room, craft/activity room, golf carts, mini-golf, a restaurant and gas station, a climbing play area for bigger kids and more.

The staff was great. One of the golf carts wouldn't stay charged and they quickly replaced it with no issues at all. We have multiple interactions with the staff and found them all to be knowledgeable and pleasant.

The water park was clean and well-staffed. Lots of water slides for bigger kids and adults, plus a lazy river, wave pool and even a tiki bar. They had two separate areas for little kids, which our two year old LOVED.

The only downside is that if it had rained during our trip, I'm not sure what we'd have done. There's really nowhere air conditioned to go for long periods of time and just relax/read a book/etc.

Overall, I would go back but not with kids under 2 as there aren't any suitable activities for that age group.

Room Tip: The deluxe cabins further from the playground have outside access to the porch but have a concrete p...
1 Thank mangobtl487
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We really appreciate your thorough comments showcasing all the different parts of our campground and water park. We do have a game room and an indoor theater that is air conditioned as well as a meeting room that you are more than welcome to use on a return visit if it would rain. Hope to see you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monroe City
#1 of 1 in Perry
No photo provided
Harbor Inn
#1 of 3 in Monroe City

Been to Mark Twain Landing? Share your experiences!