“Lots of GOOD food!”

Red Barn and Grill
Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Mount Vernon
Cuisines: Diner
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I have eaten at Red Barn several times. The latest was for a birthday lunch with daughter and other family members. Four of us had the lunch buffet which was very good. Two teenagers ordered sandwiches. The sandwiches were huge and the sides were enough for two people. Service was good and the cost was very affordable.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Ate lunch there yesterday while passing through on business. What a treat! Chicken-fried-chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, salad/soup & an incredible homemade yeast roll - all for only $8.75!
The food was terrific - tasty and hot. The server was genuinely pleasant and friendly. The best part for me was buying one of their chocolate/peanut butter cream pies to take home to my family. We enjoyed that last night after dinner - fantastic!

Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Went here for breakfast with a large group. Most got the buffet, which offers pancakes, waffles, eggs, b & g, etc. They also offer some fruit and pastries. The eggs seemed to be made from a powdered egg mix, my kids wouldn't eat their waffles, other issues with the food as well. The waitress was nice but maybe because of our large group there were a few issues. People that ordered off the menu got their food about the time the rest if us were finishing our plates from the buffet. If you like large portions this is the place for you, just not the greatest tasting food.

2  Thank Agarner3706
Reviewed 22 July 2013

You must go there hungry, the portions are huge and everything is made fresh. The staff is very friendly and always willing to go the extra to make sure you don't go without an empty glass or short on condiments. The Friday night catfish special is the best I've had.

1  Thank Tim N
Reviewed 30 May 2013

The Red Barn also features the Hen House bakery, but the portions are definitely rooster-sized, as evidenced by the table full of farm boys next to us who were relishing their large platters of food.
This is the kind of place that almost begs you to order a chicken fried steak because you just know it has to be really good. So I did. And it was. The generous piece of meat (well breaded, not greasy) covered half of my large platter. When I dug into it, it wasn't tough and you didn't have to fight it like you do some chicken fried steaks. It was accompanied by mashed potatoes and butter beans.
My husband chose pork chops, two slabs of thick and tender pork. He had a baked potato and green beans.
Along with our drinks, the waitress brought two large, yeasty, fresh-baked dinner rolls. The meals also come with salad bar (not the largest or most lavish I've ever had, but with all the other food, definitely not a problem).
What lends this place another star is the soup and cornbread bar. There were four kinds of hot soup — chili, beef stew, chicken and dumplings or noodles, and brown beans. The cornbread was very good, with a slight flavor of honey.
The dessert counter was bountiful, but we could barely look at it after that meal, much less order any. We'll definitely come back when we're near Mount Vernon.

1  Thank Betty R