“Not my best visit here”

GreenLeadersBronze level
USA
“Not my best visit here”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I think it is only fair to say this hotel and casino are degressing a bit. There are good things to say so I'll start with those. The staff (all levels) are great for the most part. Starting with the bellman we were greeted with the normal welcome, warm and friendly who always at least pretends to remember us. At the check in a woman with a frown waited on me. She was the only unhappy person we encountered. I hope all these people are recognized for their superior quality, which is why I have to say overall "Very Good".

Maybe because we usually always (for years) have had a suite at this hotel but it seems to me the standard room we were given was a little down at the heels so to speak. It was small and cramped. There was no desk, no makeup table and very few extras. Just basic like a cheap motel. Very clean which speaks again of the staff! But very basic. I also booked through LasVegas and was told we would have a suite. When we arrived we were told a suite was not available. Not wanting to make a fuss I accepted that without question but expected at least the same extra comfort I've come accustomed to finding in just a room. The quality has declined somewhat since Harrah's sold to Ceasars but this decline we were not expecting. While we were there I was told by a VIP host the next time to book with her and she would be sure I got a better room. Lesson learned ! However, I'd had this reservation for two months so a word to the wise !

The casino has also degressed IMO. There are fewer popular slot machines but more table games. I know the economy is still poor so maybe that is one reason but the machines are tight and we saw fewer jackpots than ever before. Of course also many more people playing minimum amounts on the machines. The payouts are based on the amount of money going into the machine. I'm sure the lack of max play is the main reason for fewer payouts. Harrah's in Tunica and St Louis have closed. I hope NKC will not be the next to go. We also noticed that the comps hardly exist at all. A few years ago we always had dinner comps but now you seldom see those. The indian casinos send them weekly.. I love the Harrahs casinos and hotels so I am discouraged and disaappointed in the obvious decline of this great place to stay and play.

Room Tip: Reserve early and get a written confirmation of room type.
Green Features: Harrah's is Green as much as is possible. Sheets are changed every three days. They give visitors a choice of reusing towels, etc.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MABUsa
Christina C, Public Relations Manager at Harrah's North Kansas City, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
So sorry to hear your experience this time wasn't as great as the last, hopefully that won't deter you from visiting us again in the future. We appreciate your feedback as we're always looking for ways to improve our guest's stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had read some mixed reviews here about this hotel and casino, but let me tell you we were surprised, in a good way! We actually loved this hotel and casino, and we will be back. All of the staff were friendly, the food was fantastic, and the casino dealer's were all friendly and really wanted you to be there, unlike other dealers I have encountered in casino's. The breakfast buffet is really good, and has many selections to choose from. On Sunday's they have a brunch, which offers even more variety.

My only complaint is NO free Wi-fi, they charge for it. Come on guys, step into 2014,every one gives free Wi-fi now. You make enough money off the casino you can give your customers the internet.

But that won't keep me from coming back here, we enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Christina C, Public Relations Manager at Harrah's North Kansas City, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and also for the positive feedback. So happy to hear that you were pleased with your accomodations, our staff and our dining options. Hope to see you again soon!
Raymore, Missouri
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I would not suggest booking a room at the Harrah's NKC. My daughter had booked a junior suite for my oldest daughter's bachelorette party back in February 2014. When we arrived in May, we were told they did not have the junior suite for us. My daughter showed them her confirmation number and they proceeded to tell us that they did not have any suites available. I know from past experience that hotels and motels always have extra rooms just for situations like this.
We had specifically requested the suite because we had an event planned for 14 people. We then asked if we could use a conference room and they again replied that they didn't have one of those available either. Finally they offered us a downgrade, a discount on our room, and told us that we would have a couch in the room. To which it didn't, it only had a chair. Then to top it off, the lounge that was supposed to open until 3 AM, but closed for some unknown reason at 12 AM. It was just one disappointment after another! While we made the best of it and didn't let it ruin my daughter's bachelorette party, we were definitely disappointed in the way they handled (or didn't handle the situation). So I guess booking in advance with this particular Harrah's means nothing. You might want to think twice before staying here.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Joni I
Christina C, Public Relations Manager at Harrah's North Kansas City, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
We are so sorry to hear about the issues you had during your daughter's bachelorette party. Please check your messages so we can invistigate the matter further and find out where things went wrong on our end and how we can improve for the future.
Sterling, Illinois
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We arrived at 10:00 AM on a Monday morning and were able to get our room right away. We booked the spacious Junior Suite and it was spotless! The room looked brand new from the carpet to the drapes and the furniture..The bathroom was huge with double marble vanities and the shower was amazing. The king size bed was very comfortable and we enjoyed lying there and watching the large flat screen TV.

Also had a refrigerator in the room and a coffee maker that was stocked with great tasting 100 % Colombian coffee. We had a great stay and will be back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank goldengreeke
Thank you for your positive review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and were happy with our amenities. Hope to see you again soon!
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We arrived early, but they were able to give us a room immediately. The room was a premium and it was beautiful, and clean. Check in staff was very nice, and any employee you passed, said Hello. Casino was clean, and had lots of slots. The casino wasn't terribly crowded, so that helped. No smoking would make the casino better!

Room Tip: The premium rooms are in a renovated tower.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the positive feedback and for choosing to stay with us. We hope you visit again in the future.
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I won't ever stay at a Harrah's again or use Travelocity. Requested a non-smoking room, but nobody seems to care. Neither Travelocity or Harrah's will do anything about it. I asked to just cancel the reservation and go somewhere else, but of course they all hide behind the hidden drop-down that tells you that you might not get what you ask for. Why ask what the customer wants??? You can get me with that one once, but don't worry I won't make that mistake again. There are plenty of hotels and plenty of travel sites out there. Also, the carpet is nasty. I don't even want to take my shoes off.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Just returned from 4 nights in Kansas City on a gaming trip. The hotel is just a bit better than average, but the service from everyone, was EXTRAORDINARY. the casino was nice, a bit older, but offered a bunch of different games. Self serve soft drinks, but if you are planting a machine or table game and want a cocktail server, they have a system in place. Although they walk through as much as they can, I think it is possible they are under staffed in this area.....so I would just tell the put boss or hit the button on my machine.

The buffet was typical casino fare, there is a snack bar just outside the gaming floor, that serves breakfast anytime they are open, which is nice.

Would absolutely return

#4 of 4 in North Kansas City
816 Hotel
816 Hotel
#24 of 109 in Kansas City

Been to Harrah's North Kansas City? Share your experiences!