“A beautiful first visit to the Indian Ocean”

The Sun Siyam Iru Fushi Maldives
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Iru-fushi
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Me and my other half stayed at the Hilton Iru Fushi in November 2011 for 10 nights. We were told by the travel company that it's a slightly older resort and a little tatty, but with my other half having already been to the Maldives twice before, he knew that this wasn't necessarily a bad thing, as the standards are high. I wasn't worried in the least as I'd never been anywhere remotely as luxurious and this was my first time visiting the Maldives.

Firstly I'll deal with the downsides we had. On arrival, the weather took a turn for the worse which meant the seaplane was unable to take us all the way to the island. We landed at Kuredu and had to wait for maybe 2 hours in a shelter from the rain whilst the boat arrived. Unfortunately this meant our luggage was sat in the rain and I found a few items wet when I opened my case. One of the managers from Kuredu then took us to the bar, where we (and the other parties on board) were given complimentary drinks....or so we all thought, until they called us in to reception to settle the bill! Obviously, none of this was the fault of the Hilton Iru Fushi, it was down to the weather and could not be helped. When our speedboat arrived, it was perhaps the most unpleasant journey I've ever been on. The water was very choppy and the boat was going at full speed, bouncing and slamming us down, much to the amusement of the local staff on board,no doubt!

When we finally arrived on Iru Fushi, we were greeted by a rep; one per party for that personal touch. Ours was a polite and helpful Japanese girl, Ai, who insisted on carrying my heavy hand luggage which I felt rather guilty about! As it was so late, she encouraged us to eat dinner, and suggested we either go to the buffet or order room service. We opted for the latter. We boarded a golf buggy and went to our beach villa and it did not disappoint by any means!
Our Beach villa was spotless. The only sign of wear was in the very corners of the indoor shower but that's nothing! The outdoor bathroom was of course stunning, and made going to the loo at night quite a novelty, with the geckos and fruit bats watching over you! The rest of the villa was beautiful and well maintained. Our beach cabana was a little tatty (the fan was a bit rickety, bird droppings on the cushions), but given it's location, it's to be expected with exposure to sea water and crows. Again, this is nothing compared to the rest of the holiday and perhaps I'm being overly critical, but I wanted to cover all aspects of the villa.

My other half wanted me to say that you will need to take lots of anti-mosquito spray, as they seemed to make a beeline for him, and he said that the resorts he'd visited previously had a more strict misting regime. Room spray and plug-ins are provided, so it's only when you're outdoors that you need to be careful of the mozzies! We did wake up with a few bites and on the last few nights discovered that this was probably due to the large ants inside our villa, one of which we found in the bed.

The house reef wasn't much to write home about for my other half, who has seen better ones, but for me who's never snorkelled before, it was an ideal way to get some practise in. We saw some large rays,one of which scared the life out of me, and we were also lucky enough to se a sea snake on one occasion! I was blown away! There were plenty of colourful reef fish to see around coral at the end of the jetty (the one with Flavours restaurant on) and to the right of flavours, close to the beach, we saw two eels, a puffer fish and a small black reef tipped shark.

Our first night was met with very heavy rain, but even this seemed beautiful in the Maldives! On the first day we were caught in an unexpected shower after snorkelling, much to our amusement! For the rest of the holiday it was beatiful and hot, sometimes overcast but it's nice not to have the sun beating down on you all the time. As with most of the islands, there are signs of beach erosion, and on our last few days the pump was moved to the sea by our villa, which meant we had to snorkel in a different spot than usual, but this wasn't an issue since we happened to see even more sealife. I would recommend buying underwater cameras at home or in the airport as they are very expensive in the gift shop.

The food was magnificent! Due to our problematic arrival we chose in-villa dining. We had plenty of high quality food and it turned out to be better value than eating at the buffet or in one of the restaurants. The children's meals were more than enough for me I found, which again kept the cost down. For breakfast we attended the buffet, which completely blew me away for quality and selection. Whatever your tastes, there was something to suit you, and with it being a buffet it gave you the option to try foods that you wouldn't normally choose. The same goes for the evening buffet. The 'International Buffet' is the night to go for; something for everyone. For four out of our ten nights we ate at the restaurants; Bamboo, Flavours (twice) and the Islander's Grill. The food was beautiful each time.

One last thing, the wildlife might take a little getting used to as the geckos call throughout the night, and if you're unlucky enough to have one sneak into your room it might keep you awake! We did see a few spiders, one very large, about the same size as my hand, but they are not poisonous so the best thing to do is let them get on with their business. The crows are pesky and will steal any food you leave out, whether it's in a wrapper or not!

This was my first visit to the Maldives and I was not disappointed. My only concern is that my next visit to a different hotel will be a disappointment compared to Iru Fushi!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kel_kitty
AlanS97, General Manager at The Sun Siyam Iru Fushi Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2012

Dear kel_kitty,

It gives us great pleasure to know that your holiday and first trip to the Maldives from last November is still fresh in your mind!

Thank you for sharing your experience and insights from your stay, which your beautiful photos certainly reflect. It certainly is very nice to know that after the uncomfortable arrival into our resort, the Villa and facilities were a welcome retreat for you. We are delighted that you enjoyed our restaurants, the snorkelling and dolphin excursions.

We truly appreciate your feedback and hope you will stay with us again should you return for another Maldivian holiday.

There are newer reviews for The Sun Siyam Iru Fushi Maldives

Reviewed 9 September 2012

been at sep 2011.
i stayed there for a week for our Honeymoon. It was quite wonderful and we enjoyed every second of the holiday.
The hotel is amazing, the best place to enjoy the 2 of you. The beach bungalows are perfect, feels like you are alone on the island. The territory of the hotel is clean,

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maljahdaly
AlanS97, General Manager at The Sun Siyam Iru Fushi Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Dear Maljahdaly,

We are delighted that you had a wonderful honeymoon at Hilton Maldives Iru Fushi Resort and Spa, it was a pleasure having you with us.

We are happy to know that you enjoyed the resort, from the villas and beach to our warm service and food variety. It is especially encouraging for my teams from Islander's Grill and Flavours to learn that you loved the food in their restaurants.

Thank you for your kind feedback and compliments, we hope to see you again in the future, perhaps for an anniversary celebration.

Reviewed 7 September 2012

We stayed there for a week for our Honeymoon. It was quite wonderful and we enjoyed every second of the holiday.

For families; it would be boring I suppose since there are not much activities for kids.
For divers; lagoons are perfect for both explore and pro. divings.

Our room: Water Villa

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Opeth44
AlanS97, General Manager at The Sun Siyam Iru Fushi Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Dear Opeth44,

Thank you for spending your honeymoon with us, it is wonderful to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your holiday.

The resort is indeed a popular destination for honeymooners, who very much enjoy the privacy of the villas, romantic and varied dining options in our 11 outlets, an array of outdoor and watersport activities, an adult-only swimming pool and the discreet yet personalised Maldivian hospitality from our very capable team.

At the same time, there is a lot to offer for families from our variety of organised activities and exclusive Kids' Club to our jungle-themed pool and family-related dining offers.

We truly appreciate your feedback and hope to have you back with us again in the future.

Reviewed 6 September 2012

THE GOOD : Very friendly and cheerful staffs. The beach and the resort setup were wonderful. The water activities were really nice. There are great choices of restaurants...my favourite would be the Islander's Grill (freshly grilled seafood) and Flavours. The live band during the night was great as well! The room was perfectly setup with an outside Jacuzzi which provided a romantic and intimate atmosphere.

THE BAD : Quite dark at the restaurants and walkways around the resort during the night. The price of the Iru Restaurant's Buffet was relatively high compared with the quality and range of food provided. Went for ala carte for my subsequent dinners after the disappointing buffet. WIFI internet service could be improved to cater more areas.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stevenchee28
AlanS97, General Manager at The Sun Siyam Iru Fushi Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Dear Stevenchee28,

Thank you for spending your honeymoon with us, it was a pleasure having you.

I am delighted that you had a wonderful stay experience through my team's warmth and hospitality; our restaurants, especially Islander's Grill and Flavours; our live entertainment; and the villa.

We also very much appreciate your constructive feedback and will be using this as reference to review the quality and variety offered at Iru Restaurant, as well as to ensure that the necessary action is taken to improve our wifi internet service.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and we hope you return in the future for an anniversary holiday. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 1 September 2012

Very good, very difficult to say what was wrong. We enjoyed our beach villa, the food, activities. Staff was very attentive (don't be afraid to ask if you need something to feel comfortable).
A choice of restaurants and bars, two different pools, quite big area to explore. Great!

Room Tip: I would recommend beach villas (rather than water villas) on the other side of the island where no p...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank young_ukraine
AlanS97, General Manager at The Sun Siyam Iru Fushi Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2012

Dear young_ukraine,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Hilton Maldives Iru Fushi Resort and Spa, it was a pleasure having you with us.

We are very grateful for your kind feedback on the villa, service and facilities. We hope you do plan another Maldivian holiday in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back to the resort.

Reviewed 31 August 2012

We had our honeymoon in this hotel and it didnt disappoint one bit.
We had a beach bungalow which was amazing.. had an outside jacuzzi/ shower . The beach is pretty secluded so you can have your intimate moments with your partner. we went during september , had great weather.do try snorkelling .. hotel has great staff.Food was good. Do try and go all inclusive/half board if you can . coz it is expensive otherwise.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sanjjames
AlanS97, General Manager at The Sun Siyam Iru Fushi Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

Dear sanjjames,

My team and I are very happy to know that you enjoyed a memorable honeymoon at Hilton Maldives Iru Fushi Resort and Spa.

Thank you for your kind feedback, it is always a pleasure when our guests have wonderful stay experiences with us. We hope for the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

We chose this resort after we have reviewed many websites and travel pages and can highly recommend the Hilton Hotel Resort Iru Fushi and the Water Villas.

Once arrived at Male Airport you will be awaited from a Hilton representative and guided to the Hilton Lounge at the Seaplane Terminal. An impressive and exciting 45min flight to the North will bring you to the Island. We arrived at 1030am and could move in our Sunset Water Villa at 230pm. At the meantime we got an excellent introduction from a member of the Guest Service Team. As we booked this trip as Honeymoon Vacation we received from the hotel a free bottle of Champagne, a nicely decorated Water Villa, a spa and an excursion voucher.

The only disappointing issue at our stay was the required reservation for a dinner in 4 of the 5 restaurant, which have to be placed in best case 1 or 2 days in advance. We have been in 2 restaurants and were refused to enter as we didnt have this reservation, even the restauraunts were empty at that moment. This really need to be improved.

However our 7 days/6 nights were very relaxing at this Island with nice beaches and wonderful tropical vegetation. We seldom used our shoes, booked a wonderful photoshooting with the great Photographer Tania and enjoyed the great service of the friendly hotel staff.

Room Tip: I would recommend the Water Villas, if so, choose the Villa with numbers 600+(more quiet) or 400+(su...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank metallfarmer

Dear metallfarmer,

Thank you for choosing to spend your honeymoon at Hilton Maldives Iru Fushi Resort and Spa, we are delighted that you enjoyed a memorable holiday with us.

We very much appreciate your feedback from your experience and it is nice to know that you felt well-taken care of during your stay. We are, however, very sorry that you were disappointed that you found the necessity to make dinner reservations difficult. Our fine dining and a la carte restaurants require advance reservations so that our guests can enjoy a personalised and intimate dining experience and tables tend to be reserved for the entire evening so that the evening is relaxed and enjoyable.

Through your feedback, my Food and Beverage team will review this issue and see how best we can ensure that all our guests get to enjoy the unique dining experiences we offer.

Thank you once again for staying with us and we hope to see you again, perhaps for an anniversary vacation.

Alan Stocker

Also consider these accommodations in or near Iru-fushi
Cheval Blanc Randheli
#1 of 1 in Velaa Island
Hurawalhi Island Resort
Hurawalhi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Hurawalhi

Been to The Sun Siyam Iru Fushi Maldives? Share your experiences!