“Good food, warm welcome”
Review of Chatterbox Cafe

Chatterbox Cafe
Price range: US$3 - US$21
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Chatterbox is the super-friendly cafe in St John's Chapel's Market Place. As well as serving locally sourced, freshly prepared food, we also host the Upper Weardale Visitor Information Point where we sell high quality Weardale art and craft.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Good food, warm welcome”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We were attracted to the Chatterbox Cafe by reading other reviews as we travel with our very well-behaved Border Terrier and get fed up when we are turned away when we are trying to get a meal somewhere. The picture shows this is not the case at the Chatterbox Cafe...in fact, Barney got his biscuit before we got our lunch! You get a warm welcome, with lots to look at inside including local guide books, cards, paintings and local event information. My husband enjoyed an Aberdeen Angus burger with bacon and cheese and salad garnish as well as chutney and coleslaw whilst I opted for spinach and riccota canneloni with garlic bread and salad - both delicious. We had the best pot of tea we had drunk all week and polished it off with scones (home made) and brownies. We thought a good sign was locals were also having lunch there alongside walkers and cyclists. Well worth a visit and we will go back when we are up there again.

1 Thank Glenis M

Sunderland, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best chocolate brownies EVER!”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

What a lovely little gem this place is. We called in whilst passing on our bikes and were given a very warm and friendly welcome. All the homemade goodies loooked good and we chose to 'share' a chocolate brownie. Once I had tasted the brownie there was NO WAY I was sharing and my husband was forced to order his own!!
Sitting checking e mails and chatting with the staff there was a very relaxed atmosphere in the place. We're going back up to Weardale soon and our first stop will be the Chatterbox cafe to try more of their goodies - yum!!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank HandE2002
cumbria
“quaint”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Like cafés used to be,quirky,a good place to have a coffee and snack from a good menu,a smiling,happy waiter,and a relaxing atmosphere.What more does one want

1 Thank kdpl
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Gem of a café”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We called in yet again on our way through the beautiful Weardale for tea and scone. As always a warm and friendly welcome with good conversation and excellent food. We have been eating here since it opened and have yet to be disappointed. Don’t pass by, call in and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere.

1 Thank John L
Durham, United Kingdom
“Glad I called in!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I am so glad I called back to Chatterbox Cafe this summer because I was absolutely stunned by the transformation! New kitchen, new display cases, a lot more staff and...the most wonderful little glass milk bottles instead of milk jugs!!! I teasingly joked in my last review that the experience was like a Ken Dodd show without the timings - well, the owner is really getting into his stride remembering orders and his staff are all so friendly. I really do think that this is the nicest, most down to earth cafe I have ever visited. You must go!