“Pricey but Tasty”

Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
“Pricey but Tasty”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My friends and I enjoy eating breakfast at this restaurant on our trips to the area. The food is always very good, no matter what we order. A favorite dish is the Vanilla Bean French Toast. The omelet I had was also yummy. The staff is never overly friendly, and act a bit uppity. It is a splurge for me, since it costs WAY more than a traditional breakfast out. I do feel the quality of food matches the price, though.

• Visited April 2014

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Quiet Breakfast for Special Day”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This bakery serves breakfast and lunch. It is open on a seasonal basis. Although located in a resort community, it does not have a lake view. Food is good, portions small, service is pretty good. Expect to spend $15-20 for your breakfast. Although there were linen napkins, no linen on table which I found inconvenient as many of the dishes are served in very small serving pieces. I just don't like to put my utensils down on hard surface. Coffee drinkers should expect to hop up and down to refill their mugs - self service refills.

I consider On the Rise a special treat, despite a few things I don't like. It is usually quiet and has outside seating (in season) but do not expect a view. Not a place for kids.

• Visited March 2014
Fort Leonard Wood
“Top Breakfast Establishment on the Lake”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Consuelo and I, with our friends Shirley and Stevie love this place - best breakfast and well worth the drive up from Fort Leonard Wood. Coffee bar is a great niche and the food is awesome. Reminds us all of being back in
Europe with the particular specialties they serve. Friendly servers and always on their 'A' game. We all recommend On the Rise for the perfect late morning breakfast crowd.

• Visited March 2014
Austin, Texas
“Possibly the Best Restaurant at the Lake of the Ozarks”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We have been to On the Rise many times, and it has consistently delivered excellent, freshly prepared breakfast and lunch dishes (closed for dinner), with above average service, in a warm and comfortable environment. Their fresh orange juice is squeezed (in plain sight) when you order it. Their Monkey Juice smoothie is delicious. It is advertised for kids, but I must admit to having talked one of my granddaughters out of a good deal of her's before ordering my own, on one occasion. Their flatbread, egg, and sandwich offerings are all delicious and remind you of the restaurant's bakery foundation. Their lobster bisque (be sure to get the splash of cognac) and French onion soup are a perfect way to warm up on those blustery days around the lake. Their salads are fresh and well conceived and their in-house parmesan potato chips, provided gratis while you wait for your order, are addictive. They have an excellent selection of premium beers to pair with dishes like their Scottish Salmon cold plate. But the thing that On The Rise does best is to actually deliver the variety of menu items described. This may not seem like much, but it is not a common experience at the lake. Many restaurants have mastered the art of describing a variety of delicious sounding menu items, but they have not mastered the actual cooking and delivery of those very same items. On the Rise has consistently delivered, over the past eight years we've been going there. The owner/executive chef is Mike Castle, a CIA (culinary, not secret agent) graduate, and it shows in the many details of his establishment. This is truly a big city culinary gem in a seasonal, lake recreation area. The only negative comment I have regarding On the Rise is in their pricing. It feels high, especially compared with similar restaurants in other cities like, Austin, Texas. I appreciate the challenge of providing high quality products with professional wait staff in a seasonal market. Mr. Castle has done a great job of building and (the hardest part) maintaining a consistently high level of food and service quality throughout the seasonal and economic downturn. But, we still have to manage our On the Rise outings to meet our budget. Nevertheless, we are truly happy when we dine there, and look forward to it every time.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Robert C
Kansas City, Missouri
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious!”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I loved the atmosphere, and the food was delicious.I got the salmon platter for breakfast, it was great. Pricey, but worth it for the atmosphere and food!

• Visited December 2013