“Great family place”

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Osage Beach
Kansas City
“Great family place”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

My husband and my two kids (4 and 7) recently stayed here for a 5 day vacation. We had a great time. We stayed out in the estates. We loved it out there. Sort of felt like we had our own cabin! Yes, it is a drive but I enjoyed it and if you don't want to drive, don't stay in the estates. We loved the pools on the property. My kids played on the main one with the waterslide forever!. We ate at the Black Bear restaurant every day for breakfast. We all loved it and it was reasonable. We rented a boat from the marina. It was not any more expensive then anywhere around there. The employees were really helpful in everything we wanted to do. It is very hily, but that is the ozarks people. If you can't or don't want to walk and do hills don't come here. We will definately come back again

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
mhj_emc, Event Meeting Coordinator at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 25 August 2011
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and all that Tan-Tar-A has to offer. It sounds like your family had a wonderful time. Thank you for taking the time to comment on our resort and letting everyone know that Tan-Tar-A is a great place to vacation! We are happy to hear that you will be coming back again and look forward to your return.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Resort is at a beautiful location - great views from everywhere. Stayed in a king room in one of their small duplexes near the pool. Room had a STRONG musty odor, carpet was ripped and just a plain mess. Couch was old and uncomfortable. Internet is free but very slow. However the view was great! I can't speak for the hotel rooms, but my colleague was in another duplex and his room also had the musty smell. Pool area is nice - drinks a bit pricey. Personally I would take a pass on this place as there are newer, nicer resorts in the area - but the conference was here - so.....

PS - go to the Blue Heron restaurant offsite. Old school elegance and some of the best smoked lamb I have ever tasted!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Osage Beach hotels

Kansas City
Reviewed 12 July 2011

My wife & I spent a Saturday night here in June. Our room, which was in one of the main hotel buildings on the resort, was actually pretty nice, but don't bother paying extra for the "lake view". We were on the 5th floor and could hardly even see the lake over the trees, and the window/balcony was quite small anyway. It was certainly not the vista we were expecting for the additional $30 per night. Again, the room was nice, in fact, it was enormous, and there were no odors or stains as I have seen some other reviewers complain of.....in the room itself, that is. The common areas, the halls and stairwells, were another story. They were quite worn and smelled so strongly of disinfectant, it was almost offensive. I'm not sure what odors they are masking with all the disinfectant, but it's hard to imagine those odors are much worse than the overpowering disinfectant itself. It smelled like someone had spilled a bucket of Old Spice everywhere. We had dinner at the Black Bear Lodge onsite and felt it was over-priced, and not really that good. They have another restaurant next door to the Bear called the Windrose that is supposed to be more upscale, but after comparing menus between the two, the Windrose didn’t look to have anything that the Bear didn’t, it just cost a little more. My wife & I decided the Windrose is simply for people who are willing to pay a little more so as not to have to dine with other people’s screaming kids. Not a bad idea, is it? I’m confident both restaurants use the same kitchen, so make your choice based on ambiance & price, not the menu. Our room came with 2 free breakfasts at the Bear the following morning and I must say it was terrific! It was one of the best breakfast buffets I’ve ever seen. Without the free pass it would have been $10 and that is well worth it. The food was good , there was a wide variety, and it was all-you-can-eat. We walked around the complex quite abit just to get the feel of it, and yes, it is hilly. But this is the Ozarks, people! What were you expecting? If you’re out-of-shape, or physically impaired, do not vacation in the Ozarks. I am stunned to see some reviewers here who seemed surprised at the terrain. The onsite mini-golf is overpriced and looked pretty lame, especially compared to other courses off-site. The Bowling alley, on the other hand, was quite affordable and looked kind of cool. The indoor water park is rather small and would entertain small kids, but teens wouldn’t last more than a couple hours, if that. In fact, unless your teens golf, or you have a watercraft, Tan-tar-a is probably not a good choice for them. The indoor water park is also kinda pricey as it is additional and is not included. The watercraft rental looked pricey, too, but then that’s probably to be expected. There are 4 pools if you count the water park. The main one is down by the marina, has a bar, and though not large, we enjoyed it. The other outdoor pool is even smaller and looks to be for families with small children. The other indoor pool is housed with the exercise facility and we did not see it or the exercise equipment, so I cannot comment on those. We don’t go on vaction to exercise. We took a drive over to the estate side, which is where the condos are, and thought it was quite nice. I’ve seen some reviewers here complaining about the “long” drive to the estates, but it’s only a few minutes and very scenic. As for parking, there’s tons of it. We had no trouble finding a parking space, or a table at the restaurant, because the entire place was almost deserted! We were left wondering how Tan-tar-a is staying in business? We were there on a weekend in June and it felt like we almost had the place to ourselves! I would have thought this would be their busiest time of year. The small shops they have onsite were almost empty except for the staff that looked to be so lonely and bored that they could scarcely stay awake. We do not golf so we cannot comment on that. During the winter, the golf course becomes ski slopes, and that looked kind of interesting, but it wasn’t in season. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and may go back. We could even recommend the place, conditionally. If we did go back, we would look into staying in one of the small stand-alone “cottage” type rooms by the shore. Those looked pretty cool and some of them were no more expensive than the room we stayed at in the hotel. I imagine those book-up first and may not be as readily available. If you do go, expect to walk up & down hill/stairs quite abit to get anywhere, and try to get a discount rate of some kind (I've seen specials on facebook for $89 a night). At Tan-tar-a, the scenery is beautiful, and it’s a nice place to go to relax, provided you can get the right room and rate.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank KCStrip
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Primarily used for large group conferences for Missouri organizations such as educators, law enforcement and other public type workers. The "resort" is built on steep hills with lots of difficult walking between parking lots, guest rooms and conference rooms, even within the main facility. This is not a place for disabled persons or those with difficulty walking stairs or long distances. Food is mediocre at best. Rooms are very dated and missing the amenities you'd expected of a resort facility. There are some with great lake views, but this doesn't make up for the back-to-the-80s feel of the place. If I didn't have to attend conference here each year, I would never return. I could Skip the entire Lake of the Ozarks experience as well. The area has become so cheesy with the myriad of willy nilly, tacky roadside buildings and lines of traffic to be endured in order to get most anywhere. Feels like Branson or Gatlinburg.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank ch00seytraveler
Kansas
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Hello, I have stayed at the Tan Tar A many times through the yearsand just found that ROH does not mean run of the house (it means run of the property). I expected it meant any room at the resort which it does, but it includes any property that is as much as a 10 minute drive to the property. This is a large facility that covers many acres. Also I was instructed by the unfriendly lady at the desk that I should not use an outside travel source but call them direct and I wouldn't have a problem next time. I rented a room for children to be within walking distance and ended making many trips to and from the main pool area They do have a bus but you will need to call for a pick up and wait. All this would still be acceptable if the desk staff was some what friendly, I was being reprimanded for using an outside agency to book the place. I thought you would like to know this before you book the room. I have never had a problem booking for my company here so I would guess they treat companies different than families. I still like the place but don't like being treated the way they did, if they don;t get a better desk staff I will change resorts, I wrote a letter to them since I couldn't get help form anyone at the location. I hope this adds some worthy information.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank Jsunrays
Kansas
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Can't speak to convention handling, but if you have a family with unruly kids, this is the place for you. However, not for a relaxing getaway. In all, the resort just seems dated, tired, unenthusiastic and stuck in the 50s (at least the mattresses, decor...staff)....parking can be an issue as well as accessibility throughout the facility.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank profkc
Austin, TX
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We were scheduled to stay at Tan-Tar-A for four nights and only stayed 2. There are many wonderful qualities of this resort, the bowling alley, the food was amazingly great at all on site restaurants, the water slides for the kids, the marina being on site, the view from the room, the staff but these are overshadowed by the old outdated rooms. We stayed in a two bedroom "suite" and it was dreadful. The air conditioner was so loud that we all could not sleep at night, the carpet was stained in over 20 spots, the entire "suite" smelled of mildew and the blankets and pillows on the beds were old, dated and awful smelling.

The charm of this resort is old and I understand that however when you pay resort prices you expect your room at the least to be average not of poor quality. We would only stay again if we stayed in the least expensive rooms since if you are going to receive below average quality of rooms, at the minimum you get them at the lowest rate available.

In addition, the on site gym has many machines however on the days we visited only 2 machines were working...2 treadmills and a stair climber. Tan-Tar-A desperately needs an upgrade!!

Room Tip: I do not think any of the rooms are nice