Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark
Inn At Grand Glaize(Osage Beach)
US$70
US$65
US$117
Baymont Inn & Suites Osage Beach(Osage Beach)(Great Value!)
US$91
US$85
LakeHouse Hotel(Osage Beach)(Great Value!)
US$130
Hotels.com
Osage Village Inn(Osage Beach)(Great Value!)
US$76
US$77
Days Inn Osage Beach(Osage Beach)(Great Value!)
US$66
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
US$72
US$59
Red Roof
Scottish Inns Motel(Osage Beach)(Great Value!)
US$72
US$66
Town & Country Motel(Osage Beach)(Great Value!)
US$67
US$65
All reviewsburger kingwater parkbowling alleyblack bear restauranttan tar a resorthorseback ridingblack beansresort complexfood courtfitness centerbuilding cnice resorttan taratimber fallsspring breaklabor day weekendview of the lake
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 April 2008

We stayed at this resort recently over Spring Break and had a terrible experience. We were quite depressed to have had driven ten hours to get there, only to check out early. The room was old and dirty... numerous stains on carpeting and drapes, blood stain on the bedroom blanket, no sheets for pull out sofa, plumbing problems, etc. The new "KIDS" room was not even open (only on Saturdays apparently) and the "private" water park is actually open to the public (and hence too crowded and smelly). The indoor pool was OK until someone pooped in it. The only nice thing that I have to say is that the waiters at the Bear Lounge were friendly (carpeting in main lounge was FILTHY though) and the workout room was OK. Such a shame; this place has a lot of potential (with the bowling alley and mini golf), but needs A LOT of work!!! Do not stay here until completely renovated!!! Complete rip-off!!

• Stayed: April 2008
2  Thank camper89
Reviewed 26 January 2008

After booking the room prepaid with Travelocity, before I could even get my room at the hotel desk, I was charged an additional 10.00 per day for "amenities" such as a "2 for 1 drink coupon", shuttle service to the lodge from the estates rooms, swimming pools (in January?), nothing that I had asked for or used. They were basically charging me 10.00 per day for basically everything the hotel offered as a free service anyway before I checked in. To their credit, Travelocity talked twice with the resort and asked for a refund for these pre-check-in charges, but Tantara did not comply. Travelocity did give me a credit for future travel. I am not sure how a hotel could charge extra for things they offer as a service for free anyway.

The rooms themselves are very 70's and rundown. Instead of regularly spraying for insects, (you see plenty), they have a cute little brochure in each room that tells you what kind of insects you may see in your room with pics of them. How quaint to know what insects you are sleeping with. I have been going to Tan Tar A for an annual converence for over 10 years. I have come to know many such insects intimately (in my bed, in the bathroom)

The lodge smells of cigarettes, both in some of the non-smoking rooms I have stayed in and in the main public areas. My most recent stay included a strong odor of mold in the closet.

You can come to know your next door neighbors very well through the thin walls. I know, for example, that the couple next door showered in the evening and someone used their blow dryer each morning. That's how thin the walls are.

In addition to the $10 a day added fee, they have a great little sign in each room informing the guests that they have wi-fi available in the room. One only needs to call the desk for the password. Once you call the desk, they tell you it will cost you 9.99 each day for using it.

The beds themselves have thin pads under the sheets which are lumpy and move during the night. The mattresses are old. The heating/ac unit is noisy, so every time it went on during the night, it woke me up. Never again will I stay at this hotel.

I will pay much less and stay down the street at a smaller motel.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank mtnwomanSt_Louis_MO
Reviewed 15 November 2007

I respectfully disagree with the negative reviewers.

I took my family of five to Tan-tar-a last weekend (Nov 9-11). We had a wonderful time.

We arrived late Friday night. Check-in was a breeze. There were no lines, I walked right up and got my room keys. I was surprised by the reviews that complained of a smokey smell. I am sensitive to smoke. Unlike the other reviews, I never noticed an overwhelming odor of smoke in the lobby.

We stayed in the "A" building in the 400's. We had a nice, clean room. Our beds were very comfortable. We had a great view of the Lake of the Ozarks.

We took the kids to the waterpark on Saturday. Go early. Once you pay, you can leave and come back as much as you want in the same day. The kids loved the waterpark. There was something for kids of all ages. The park was clean. They were constantly testing the water quality while we were there. I do not know if the employees were certified lifeguards, but they were keeping a watchful eye on the kids. I stayed with my kids in the water, but I would have felt safe sitting at a table and watching them from afar. The employees were always walking around making sure everyone was safe.

Speaking of the staff... They were fantastic! Every single person with whom we had contact was friendly and helpful.

We ate at the Big Bear Lodge twice. Saturday night, I had a steak which was excellent. Sunday, we had the buffet breakfast. I thought it was overpriced, but the food was fresh and there was plenty of it.

When we walked into BBL Saturday, I was a little bit worried. There were folks in there in jackets and ties. I was wearing jeans and a tee shirt. Did not matter. The waitress treated us with just as much respect and attention as everyone else. Her name was Barb. She took the time to talk to us about the resort. She answered a lot of silly questions the kids had.

We were not let down on Sunday. Our server's name was Kris. She also talked to us and went above and beyond what I expected when ordering the buffet. Kris was asking my youngest daughter how she liked her food. My daughter said she wanted to try some bisquits and gravy. Before I realized what happened, Kris had gone up to the buffet and brought back some B&G for my daughter.

When we were ready to leave, I checked out on the TV, left the keys in the room, and picked up my receipt at the gate house on our way out.

Overall, we had a terrific experience at Tan-Tar-A. We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank Honest_Montgomery
Reviewed 12 November 2007

The main lobby has a smoking area that is open to the lobby, which is open to the meeting rooms, shops. On one night the smoking was so bad that I could smell it on the second floor by the gift shop. The Black Bear also has smoking at the bar and that is open to the restaurant. This is not a family friendly place or a place to hold a meeting. The meeting rooms were dirty and had that bar smell that comes from the years of smoke in the carpet, curtains and wallls. This place is gross. I would never want my kids exposed to the poor indoor air quaility of this resort dump. If its raining outside, the smokers fill the lobby bar and it reminds me of a college hangout. Not a place for families.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
4  Thank stlouismom
Reviewed 13 October 2007

This place was so bad we turned around and walked out. We even upgraded to a "lakeview" room and it was awful. There was a strong sewer smell as we walked into the main lobby. But still we were hopeful that our room would be fine. As we walked into our room, that same sewer smell was so strong we couldn't even stand in the room. The carpet was so nasty we were afraid to walk on it. The furniture looked straight out of the 1970's. Our "lake view" was blocked by so many trees you couldn't see the water. There was a family of 4 which arrived soon after we did and they didn't look too happy about their room either. Plus, we could hear them talking through the thin walls, and that was just talking, not even loudly. Luckily, we were not charged for anything but it was a waste of our time to drive 3 hours to start a mini-vacation.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple