“Great resort for families”

Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Osage Beach
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I was the organizer of a large group that stayed at Tan-Tar-A for a conference and family retreat. Knowing that the resort has mixed reviews, I went in with an open mind. The resort has been around for a long time and has a lot of different options to choose from for accommodations. It does need some renovations to bring it up to a more modern standard and they were starting those renovations while we were there. I found the resort and group staff to be VERY accommodating. They went above and beyond what we asked for in all situations. They took extra time and effort to make our group dinners special with decor and theme that we weren't expecting and the food was fantastic. Many of our guests commented that the group dinners were the best banquet meals they have ever had at a hotel/resort. I also ate in the Black Bear Lodge several times and found the food to be very good.

Sleeping rooms are quite spacious and provide plenty of room for families and all the 'stuff' that travels with them. Many of the rooms offer sofa sleepers and all rooms have a mini-fridge. These are important amenities for families.

The main outdoor swimming pool area is nice and in a good location with a large deck area, snack bar and children's area. I did not visit the indoor waterpark, but found the daily cost of entry to be quite high.

The Oaks Golf Course is a phenomenol location and was in great shape while we were there. Our group outing was very well received there.

I would highly recommend this location to anyone that is looking for a reasonably priced family vacation in the Midwest.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Kfrat827
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear Kfrat827,

Thank you for your recommendation and kind words towards our whole team. It's always great to hear that our associates are taking care of our guests and doing what Tan-Tar-A is know for - providing exceptional service.
Thank you for putting for trust in Tan-Tar-A Resort to deliver a memorable conference and we hope to get the opportunity to host your next event or family getaway.
Your kind review for our resort is greatly appreciated.

At your service,

Reviewed 22 October 2013

It's interesting, appeared clean at first glance, appeared nice, appeared to be a great place to stay...but, appearances are deceiving. My lakeside room was lake side, but the view was anything but extraordinary unless you like boats and back of cove scum. The carpet in the hall might have looked great in the 70's, but really either needs a good cleaning and stretching or replaced. The multiple wrinkles were at least 2" tall...no kidding! The room was extra large with sofa a dinette, at least the furniture was newer than the carpet, but just barely. The room smelled like it hadn't been opened all year. We unpacked, but I'm glad we didn't bring more than 2 days of clothes, the closet is tiny and my socks and underwear had to be put in the nightstand with the phone book, now what to do with the empty suitcases? My wife showered, but only after she killed a bug in the tub...I got its mate the next morning by the sink. Don't bother asking for a different room, there were none available...we waited for 2 hours for this one to get cleaned at 2 in the afternoon....lesson learned. They did serve Folgers coffee, but you had to keep turning the coffee pot on so that it would finish brewing. I'll post the pictures and let you decide for yourself. But,stay at your own risk.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank RatherBeCruising2
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear RatherBeCruising2,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We apologize we were not up to your expectations. Last year Driftwood Hospitality Management was appointed as the new management team for the resort with plans for the resort that include projects to enhance and improve the guestrooms and other areas of the resort. We are scheduled to begin renovations in the hotel’s main building very soon. If you make a return visit we hope you will have a much better experience. We would love to hear what you think about our changes.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I really enjoy this resort. It is very family friendly. My family had our family reunion here and everything was very nice and had lots of things to do. The food was excellent also. I would highly recommend!!!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear MZTW,

We are thrilled to read your title, “Love it Here.” Thank you for sharing your experience and we’re happy that you enjoyed a family getaway with us. With all of the activities offered on property, there’s something for everyone to do. We thank you for the high praise and the time you took for sharing!

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 21 October 2013

My girlfriend and I booked a weekend to enjoy the fall weather. I received a Living Social deal for Tan-Tar-A and thought I would give it a shot. Upon arriving we were upgraded to a lake-view room. The room was located right on the water and had a wonderful view.

The review of our stay is mixed. We went with an open mind; knowing that this was an older resort and was probably a little dated. It was dated, it has sort of a mid 80s Overlook Hotel (from the Shining) vibe to it. The most important aspect of our stay was that the room was clean. At least as clean as the staff are capable of keeping it. The carpet is old and pretty gross and the bed spreads really need to be updated; in other words the rooms need a remodel.

The best part of this resort is outdoors. The grounds are well kept and the views are great. I read in other reviews that people were unhappy with the number of stairs and accessability in general. If you have an issue with steep inclines, stairs, etc., this is not your place. Not an issue for me.

The worst part of the resort is the food; terrible. Way over priced and just plain bad. I know that this is the lake area and dining options aren't that great but skip the on-site places and venture out about 10 minutes and you can find far better options at much better prices. The breakfast (buffet) was literally the worst I have ever had. Seriously, the coffee was bad; how do you make bad coffee these days?

The staff was helpful and courteous, no complaints.

Another minor issue was the resort fee; wifi, local calls, faxes (really?), coffee machine, frig, newspaper,etc. These things should be included; any decent hotel offers this stuff at no additional charge.

In summary, we had a great time at the area parks and spending time outdoors so we didn't spend that much time in the room or at the resort but overall had a pleasant stay. Just feel that you could probably get more bang for your buck elsewhere.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are a plus.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bigyellowdog21
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Dear bigyellowdog21,

We appreciate you for taking the time to share your experience at our resort. This helps us know our areas of opportunity so we can provide better services to all of our guests. While we are delighted that you enjoyed the view from your room, the grounds and our associates, we are truly sorry we did not meet your expectations as far as your accommodations. I would like to take this opportunity to note that we are beginning a floor-to-ceiling renovation in the hotel’s main building very soon.
Additionally, we are usually praised for having a delectable breakfast buffet and your stay was clearly out of character for us. Yet again, we apologize and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in our hotel to change your perception of us.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 21 October 2013

There are lots of reasons to rate places various ways. I am rating our experience (from an average family) as very poor. We will not go again for many reasons –primarily because we had a small grievance and management was clear that they didn’t care. We ran into the “old school” management attitude that “rules are rules” no matter what – even if it doesn’t make good common sense and alienates your guests (further explanation on this issue at bottom of review).

When you travel to a resort, you are their "guest" and should be treated at such. If not, it is important for guests to make their grievances/concerns know - how else can an establishment better themselves and address these issues. However, when management makes it clear that they don't care, then they don’t deserve good ratings or return business.

We travel a lot – much more than the average family. We have been to many, many resorts and destinations and have had wonderful experiences. Don’t settle for less.

My rating is based on:
1) Cumbersome check-in. After check in, you have to wait in the Concierge line for map, parking & room directions, etc.
2) Facility layout and parking isn't set up well. It is very hap-hazard, confusing, random, and not particularly convenient.
3) Must get good directions to facility or use a navigation system - be careful surrounding roads have changed.
4) Handout had incorrect room service hours on it.
5) Waterpark passes are only slightly discounted for hotel guests are only for the day of purchase not entire stay.
6) There are much better water parks that are complimentary and for the length of stay. (Most allow you access the entire check-in and check-out day.)
7) Management attitudes were deplorable – rude, condensing, uncaring.
8) Recreation manager attitude – saying she didn’t care about our grievance or our business
9) No flexibility. Another guest at the hotel was unhappy because they would not let her stay in the room until 12:00/12:30. (Her companion was at a conference there that didn’t end until 12:00/12:30) and the hotel was very busy.)
10) Got the impression that they cater to more affluent guests/couples.

To further explain the issue behind our grievance that led to talking with three different managers: We simply weren't verbally informed that the water park passes that hotel guests can purchase at a slight discount are only for the day of purchase. We thought our 7 year old could utilize it for 45 minutes (yes - just 45 minutes) the morning of check out.

Considering the responses and attitudes we got from three different managers, we were appalled. Either the managers had no real management skills/training, no authority to make decisions – even common sense decisions, simply didn’t care about their guests, or were Robots.

Wouldn’t common sense tell you that your guest’s happiness and word-of-mouth are important…ESPECIALLY when resolving the minor conflict COSTS the hotel nothing!! The water park was open, one 7 year old playing in it for 45 minutes on the day of check-out wouldn’t cost the hotel anything – they would lose the $17 fee they wanted us to pay for the 45 minutes, however.

Were we negligent in not asking, should we have checked before coming, were their signs??? I don't know. BUT the bottom line is that it all comes down to what is customer service and guest’s satisfaction is worth to an establishment??????

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear MissouriLucy,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and expressing the concerns you had with our resort. Positive or not, the feedback we receive from our guests is greatly appreciated. We try our best to make things right when situations such as these occur and we apologize that the offer we extended to you did not meet your expectations.
In addition, we assure you that your feedback will be treated as an opportunity for us to improve our operations and in essence, remain committed in providing a positive experience for each and every guest that walks through our doors. We apologize that there were several areas where your experience and expectations were not met and we will address them all immediately. Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

My husband and I are in our early 40's and have 2 kids age 12 and 5. We travel frequently, including trips to Cancun area and the Carribean. We are a middle income family, but our extra money goes to vacations rather than electronics, cigarettes, etc. We are from Southern Illinois, an "average" mid-western family, and frequent users of tripadvisor. That being said here is our vacation scenerio at Tan-Tar-A.
My husband couldn't make this trip due to a family funeral. We traveled over the long Columbus Day weekend and had booked a Friday night stay at another resort that we had been to 2 other times. We had planned on staying 2 nights, but they didn't put us in a great room that first night and Tan-Tar-A (TTA for rest of review) had a $99 special . We also checked the Holiday Inn Express and they were priced at $135. We decided to try TTA for the first time and boy are we glad we did.
I guess it's about 6 or 7 miles away from Premium Outlet Mall and it's in a rural location on the Lake. You drive past TTA golf course to get there. I don't have the brochure, but it's on 200?? acres and is truly a RESORT. It actually reminded me of the layout of the tropical resorts that we go to. There are a few main buildings with accomodations and then smaller buildings on the outlying property. I am not sure about this since we only stayed one night, but I looked at the resort map frequently. I guess some guests are put in these outer buildings, but then a shuttle comes to pick you up to bring you to the central reort area. It has a couple outdoor pools, an indoor water park, mini-golf, a bowling alley, spa, fitness center,big arcade, boat excursion, horseback riding, golf cart rentals so you can tour the property. There are shops on sight and there was a wedding reception going on while we were there. The resort is layed out so you will need a map to get whre you are going. There are lots of hills and steps. I'll start the breakdown details.
CHECK-IN: We arrived with no reservation and at 1:30 wich is before the actual check-in time. The clerk at no time mentioned that we were too early. I explained that it was our first time here and we wanted a room near the water park. She said it wouldn't be a problem. She explained where our room was and sent us to the next desk for an explanantion of where to park and a little more info. We were given a resort map and a schedule of events with times, etc. This was quite handy. They gave us a card that allowed us to charge meals, waterpark fees, etc. to our room. Landscaping was nice too. It must take alot of staff to keep up this place.
ROOM: Our room was great. It was on the 6th of 7? floors and faced the lake. There was a large picture window with shear and black-out curtains. There was more than enough room for the suitcase and space to walk around it. The room looked like it had been renovated. It had 2 full beds (ok for this trip, but prefer queens) with 4 pillows each. There was a nice size flat screen TV and a mini-fridge. There was a side chair and a table with 2 chairs. The bathroom was spacious and they had Bath and Body Works products-yeah! They had nice full-size towels.The room was spacious and fine. My only thought was that I think it needed at least 1 picture on the wall and maybe a throw-spread at the foot of the bed, just to give it some color.
INDOOR WATERPARK: This was the main reason we chose this resort. With some coupons I found it cost about $45 for the 3 of us for the entire day. My kids loved it. There are water slides, a lazy river, a pool with 2 basketball goals, and another pool/large hot tub (don't know which) in the corner that the adults seemed to use. There are inflatables that the can be rode down 2 of the taller slides. The main water feature has water shooting out of everywhere. there are buckets, wheels, spouts, and all kind of water features. The posted pictures don't do it justice. I noticed there are lifejackets along the wall for the kiddos to use. There is plenty of nice seating and they provide towels. There is a snack area that you can see the kids from and just charge your purchases to your room. The staff was super nice. Maybe I missed it, but I wish there was a multi-day pass at a discount rate. I wouldn't pay $45 a day if we would stay there for a week. And trust me-the kids want to go every day! We didn't see any of the outdoor pools.
BOWLING: It cost $5.01 to bowl and for shoe rental. The place is brightly colored and a little cheesy, but it's all in fun. We put the bumpers up for my daughter and had fun. It doesn't score automatically. It was fine considering it was on-site.
RESTAURANTS: There is a Burger King and a Sbarro on site. They were fine, but of course a little over-priced. Another restaurant was open, but we didn't go to it. Apparently there is a fancy restaurant that is open during peak season. Room service is available during certain hours.
Since we stayed only 1 night, we couldn't see and do everything. We were really impressed with this resort and actually are thinking/planning on skipping our Mexico trip next summer and coming to TTA. We do all-inclusive vacations, so this was a liitle different than what we were used to. I know it will cost a little more in the summer, but we will be bak unless the prices are just way to high. This is now our first choice resort at Lake of the Ozarks. I joked with my kids about being glad we didn't stay at the Holiday Inn Express. They loved this place. This is a great choice for families or extended family for 3-5 nights. Okay, yes there are a few minor things wrong with this resort, but don't be too picky. You're in Missouri for gosh sake. If you want top notch go somewhere fancier and pay $500 a night! Send me a message if you have any questions. I check TA weekly.

1  Thank respiratorytherapist
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Dear respiratorytherapist,

Spending the day at our Timber Falls Indoor Waterpark is always a wonderful way to get in some quality time with the kiddos! We are glad to read your family enjoyed your stay with us and had a memorable experience. We are also so thrilled to hear that Tan-Tar-A Resort is now your first choice resort at the Lake of the Ozarks! Your detailed review is greatly appreciated by us and we hope that you’ll make more memories with your family at Tan-Tar-A Resort next summer.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 5 October 2013

We come to Tan-Tar-A a few times a year for various reasons, from conferences to family get-a-ways. It's a large resort with a lot of great amenities including a water park, marina, spa, shopping, golf, arcade, multiple restaurants, bar, fitness center, etc. We have stayed in a few rooms that are outdated, but they are always clean. The reason we rate this a 5 star even with outdated room is because of the wonderful staff and the service they provide. They go above and beyond to take good care of their guests. Donna at the front desk and Al at the bell stand are top notch!
We LOVE Tan-Tar-A.

1  Thank princesscoffman
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Dear princesscoffman,

Your review has certainly made us smile! We are thrilled to hear that you LOVE Tan-Tar-A and that you enjoy the service our associates provide our guests. Your kind words about our resort are greatly appreciated and we’ll be sure to share them with the associates you specifically mentioned. Thank you for your loyalty and we can’t wait to have you back again at Tan-Tar-A Resort!

At your service,

Sleep Inn & Suites Lake of the Ozarks
Lodge of  Four Seasons
Lodge of Four Seasons
#2 of 12 in Lake Ozark

Been to Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!