“Just average for a resort”

Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Osage Beach
Kansas City, Missouri
“Just average for a resort”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I guess I am a bit spoiled to "resorts" since my stays at very nice very large resorts. While Tan Tar A has 3 pools they are all a bit small, in the busy season it would be very hard to find a spot to splash around. The indoor pool was in desperate need of a chemical balancing or cleaning as just walking into the room was enough to make your eyes turn red from all the chemical smells. The sandy beach was nothing more than than a couple hundred feet of sand dumped on a man-made barrier. The lake water doesn't touch the sand and you are not allowed to touch the water from this beach area. The resort does have two affordable budget restaurants.. Burger King and Sharro's Pizza. The little indoor water park is an extra charge so we skipped that as well as the onsite little bowling alley. I am not a golfer so have nothing to say about the course they have there, but the put put looked nice.
We stated in the Estates in room 6091. The room was very clean and very big with a nice back porch. There was a mini-fridge and coffee maker and ceiling fan. It could have used a microwave.
The grounds are clean and well maintained and the staff was friendly.
I could see enjoying this resort for a weekend but after that would run out of things to do and money since there are only a small handful of free things to do here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear kcwifle,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you and your family enjoyed our restaurants, your room, the grounds and our associates.
We apologize if you were under the impression that you could access the lake from our beach. It’s for the safety of our guests that you cannot swim off our sandy beach. We are located on the main channel of the lake and boat traffic can make it dangerous for swimmers.
We appreciate your business, and hope that you will consider a future stay with us.

Best regards,

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Illinois
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I have such a hard time finding a place to vacation that will be fun for my 13 and 15 year olds, this place was perfect! In fact I think it would be perfect for any ages!! We chose the price option of lake view and to be assigned at checkin. We got a room in Tar-Tar-A Estates, which is on property but not in the main buildings. Parking was very hard to find on Memorial Day weekend, but it was fine because they have a comp shuttle that is very prompt and will take you to and fro as much as you need. We started with the spa/salon. I had a massage by. Debbie that was the best I ever had!!!! Then I got a much needed hair cut and color and my son got a hair cut. My daughter also got her nails done. All that was $200. There are several pools, an indoor by the salon, an outdoor small one by the main buildings and then an awesome outdoor one down the hill with a water slide and a kiddie pool area, and a bar at the pool. Both pools overlook the lake. They literally opened the brand new lobby minutes before we arrived. It's gorgeous and has a very cool bar/lounge. Prepare to do some walking, even though the main buildings are all together, it is a huge property. The only negative experience I had was all the hills! They did have golf cart shuttles even for that but they were harder to come by on the fly. We did not do the water park, it was $17 and we didn't really want to be inside, plus my kids were a little too old for it. We had a blast at miniature golf, it was $7.50 per person, second game immediately was $3.75 ea. Building B has a very modern arcade, a 10 lane bowling alley, Sbarro, Burger King, a restaurant and a bar! The arcade was $10 for 600 points, the bigger games were 60-75 pts ea. we didn't bowl so I don't know the price for that. There is also a 9 hole golf course right there but we didn't do that either. You can rent a golf cart to just ride around the property, $150 per day I think. They also have a lot of water activities, like wave runners, pontoon boats, ski boats, parasailing, etc. I only did the ski boat with a tube. It was $75 per hour 2 hours min., plus $15 for the tube plus gas. It was about $60 for gas. The wave runner was $90 per hour, but I don't know the price on the rest. This resort seriously has something for everyone. It is not rundown, like some reviews say, it's just a bit outdated in areas but they are clearly remodeling all that. The Tan-Tar-A estates are made up of little houses. It's so beautiful in there. Our room was quite spacious and they promptly delivered a roll out bed when my kids didn't want to share a bed. The staff was exceptional, everyone we dealt with was friendly and service oriented. They had an awesome fireworks show for Memorial Day on Sunday night. It was a fabulous weekend!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cheyanne040277
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear cheyanne040277,

Thank you for your business and for taking the time to review your recent stay at Tan-Tar-A Resort. We are so thrilled that you had a fabulous weekend with us and enjoyed several of our recreational activities. It’s exciting to hear that Debbie gave you the best massage you have even gotten!
We hope that your memorable visit will stay with you for a lifetime! Again, thank you for your wonderful review, and we hope to have the pleasure of your return!

St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights in the Estates and had a wonderful time. Golf, swimming and relaxing on the deck with was great. The condo was well stocked with anything we needed and bed was comfortable. It was a little noisy at night but all noise stopped at 11:00.

• Stayed May 2014
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Linda C,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the pools, golf and the beautiful lakeview from your room during your stay at Tan-Tar-A. We appreciate your business and hope you get a chance to visit us again in the near future.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I attended an expo last year and won a weekend stay here. I must say this place is fantastic. We will definitely be back. We had a great time, everyone was very nice and helpful. The grounds were beautiful. We got to stay in the new rooms, with a balcony and lake view. The rooms were clean and fresh, room service was awesome but a little high as expected. Talk about spoiled! There is a bar, restaurant, bowling alley, pizza place, gift shops, boutiques and water park. We will be back for sure, I highly recommend.

In addition, if you choose to leave the resort looking for snacks, maybe a cheap bottle of wine, or what have you, there is a service station that is right across the street from the resort. You literally don't have to go anywhere. No 20 minute drive into town, right across the street.

Thanks Tan-Tar-A!!

Room Tip: Ask for the new rooms with a lake view. You may get an older one if you don't.
Dear TM1979,

We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your first stay at Tan-Tar-A! Thank you for your warm review and recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Currently a guest right now. First visit here and it will be my last to be sure. The cost of the rooms is ridiculous for how outdated they are. Moreover, even thought the website claims a military discount is available, I was told such a discount was not despite be on active duty. On Memorial Day Weekend??? Really??? (As an example, I'm paying full price for a room and the towel rack in the bathroom is torn off the wall. How easy is that to fix? Very tacky)

Aside from the poor and overpriced accomodations, be sure to read the fine print on the website. If you want to use the indoor waterpark, the cost for a family of four is over $70 for each visit. (It's nice, but not for $70. You can get an entire family in to White Water for less than that)

Transportation around the resort is terrible. The resort claims that complimentary transportation is available daily around the resort as most of the property is on a steep incline. However, you will be hard pressed to find any such transportation available.

We will be checking out tomorrow and will not be back. For the money I spent here this weekend, I could rent a house and a boat and will do so in the future. I will also be sure to tell friends and family of this miserable experience and warn them to avoin Tan-Tar-A.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Torch52
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Torch52,

Thank you for your feedback and taking time to share your thoughts. We enjoy hearing from our guests as it helps us improve the overall guest experience. We’re disappointed to hear about the details of your visit. We apologize that our accommodations did not meet your expectations and for the confusion with our military discount. A military discount is available for our standard guestrooms in our Estates Complex.

We offer a resort shuttle to be able to get you where you’re going on-site. On holiday weekends, we do our best to get everyone where they would like to go as quick as we can. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Again, we’re sorry that your recent stay with us didn't meet your expectations, and please accept our apologies for any disappointment caused. If you are interested in returning, I am more than happy to assist you in any way I can. Please feel free to reach out to me at 573-348-3131.

Travellers are raving about these Osage Beach hotels

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Overall great experience. They are in the middle of a remodel but staff said it should be done by Memorial Day. That being said our room was already remodeled and clean. Some of the grounds needed cleaned up though.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank AnneClare24
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear AnneClare24,

Tan-Tar-A Resort is a great place for a spring getaway! We're happy to hear you had a pleasant stay. Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon.

Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I had never been to Tan-Tar-A, but was looking for a fun place to bring my two six-year-old grandsons for the weekend and thought that it looked like a great choice. I read a lot of reviews, and saw all the comments about it being dated and a bit run down, but figured that the boys wouldn't notice and I could live with it if we were having fun. Now that our weekend is over I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. We had a blast!

Yes, some of the common areas are dated and worn, but renovations are obviously in progress. And neither the dated decor nor the renovations interfered with our weekend. And when we got to our room -- wow! I had paid a little extra to guarantee a lakeside room in the main building and was SO happy with it. The room was on the top floor, obviously renovated, very spacious, with two king beds (very comfortable, with beautiful linens), two sitting areas, an inner and outer sink in the bathroom area, and a private balcony with a gorgeous view. More than I could have asked for.

Our main focus for entertainment was the indoor water park, and again, we were very pleased. It is true that it is smaller than some other water parks, but I found that to be an advantage - I could sit at the tables in the middle of all the water attractions and keep track of the boys no matter where they were when I wasn't swimming or sliding with them. I should note, though, that at this time of year the water park was not at all crowded either Saturday or Sunday, and that helped make it extra enjoyable. I can see it being not quite so fun if it was packed with kids. Also, my boys are 6 and loved every part of the water park - I don't think they ever would have gotten bored even if we had stayed twice as long - but I can see it not being enough to keep older kids happy.

We also enjoyed the miniature golf course (very picturesque, also), bowling, the arcade, and the afternoon boat cruise. We packed quite a bit into a weekend, and it was nice to be able to do it all in one place! And next year they will be tall enough for horseback riding.

If I had one suggestion to make, it would be to downscale the Black Bear restaurant a bit. Our food was fine, and with the buffet option there was plenty of it, but I did feel it was a bit overpriced. It's my understanding that there is an even more expensive restaurant on the grounds (we didn't go there or see it), and I think it would be good to have an option that is somewhere more in the middle between that and Sbarro and Burger King. That being said, we didn't have a bad meal at all, and especially enjoyed the breakfast buffets.

I was surprised to find the shops to be interesting, and more importantly, very reasonably priced. I would have liked to see the candy/ice cream shop stay open longer - we would have loved to stop there after dinner and bowling but it was already closed.

Most importantly, I have rarely encountered such a uniformly friendly staff. I was particularly impressed with our servers at Black Bear - my boys were so enchanted with their dinner server Friday night (Robin) that they insisted on being seated in her section Saturday night! Our breakfast servers were equally friendly. It is great to see staff who seem to not only welcome, but truly enjoy, having children there instead of just tolerating them. I was just as impressed with the staff at the water park. Also the staff in the shops, bowling, arcade, etc.

We will definitely be back. I want to make this an annual trip with the boys, and I think the Estates might be a good option for a bigger group of family to get together for a weekend. In the meantime, wonderful memories were made, and kudos to all!

Room Tip: I don't know if they let you do this, but ask for renovated rooms. And I highly recommend Build...
4 Thank landiiiks
DianneS0260, Guest Relations Manager at Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear landiiiks,

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review of your stay. What a fun weekend it sounds like you had! We’re thrilled to hear that you and your grandsons enjoyed your room and several of our recreational activities.
Additionally, thank you for you mentioning how friendly and accommodating our staff is. We are very fortunate to have such amazing people working with us. They truly go out of their way to ensure that everything is always perfect for our guests. We'll definitely let them know of all the kind things you had to say.
We look forward to welcoming you back to make more memories with your grandsons.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Osage Beach
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,031 reviews
Camden on the Lake Resort
Camden on the Lake Resort
#1 of 13 in Lake Ozark

Been to Tan-Tar-A Resort, Golf Club, Marina & Indoor Waterpark? Share your experiences!