Seabreeze Holiday Park
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Peninsula Motel(Whitianga)(Great Value!)
US$95
US$92
Mana-Nui Motel(Whitianga)(Great Value!)
US$95
  • Pool
Anchorage Motel(Whitianga)(Great Value!)
US$99
Beachside Resort Whitianga(Whitianga)(Great Value!)
US$121
US$98
Agoda.com
Blue Marlin Apartments(Whitianga)(Great Value!)
US$99
Oceans Resort Whitianga(Whitianga)(Great Value!)
US$113
US$110
Oceanside Motel Whitianga(Whitianga)(Great Value!)
US$121
  • Beachfront
All reviewshot water beach and cathedral coveholiday parkthe kitchenpowered sitehot showernice and quiet placeuntil midnightmicro brewerylounge areahotwater beachdorm roomenjoyed my staybeds were comfortabletwo nightsfantastic locationa great stayfish and chips
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I wasn't a huge fan of Seabreeze Holiday Park, especially when compared to the high standard of most NZ hostels. I am reviewing Cowree Lodge, which is the 'hostel' section of the holiday park, which also contains self-contained units and tent spaces.

I was met with derision from the girl on the desk, who treated me as if I had crawled out from the bottom of her toilet. A friend had dropped me off, and when I asked if she might nip into the building to use the loo, the girl said 'has she paid to stay here?'. I frostily informed her that she might use the toilet instead of myself, if that was how the toilet system worked!

They advertise the use of free bikes to HWB, which is true, but they are in a terrible state & you have to pay a cash deposit. Mine looked like it had been reclaimed from an Addams Family garage sale, it was that old & rusty.

The prices, when compared to other, better, hostels in the Coromandel Peninsula area, are a bit of a rip off when you consider the state of the facilities.

The bathrooms were clean, no complaints there, though the token for five minutes of hot water system was mildly irritating.

The kitchen was an absolute shambles. The sinks and surfaces were dirty and I hunted for about 10 mins to find a can opener for my baked beans, only to find a broken one. There was a severe lack of utensils and cutlery. I understand that many campers bring utensils etc. with them, but backpackers who are sleeping in hostels don't!

A girl I met in the kitchen was given a tent to sleep in, for the same price as a bed in the lodge ($30!) as they were overbooked. The tent had broken poles and was full of holes so ants got in there in the night.

My room was tiny, and I was located on the top bunk, so had barely enough room to lift my head before it hit the ceiling. The mattress sagged and it was generally unpleasant.

On the plus side, the girl seemed to get more friendly as time went on, and she was nice to me when I checked out, presumably she was happy to see me leave.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Laura D
SeabreezeHolidayPark, Owner at Seabreeze Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2013

We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay.Guests tell us
we have an awesome, friendly staff team and our prices are the cheapest in the Hotwater beach area with a range of accommodation options to suit all budgets.
Thank you for your review.
Kind regards, Dawn.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Our phone call was well received and registration was pleasant and informative.
Our 'chalet' had everything we needed/wanted including outside chairs on the verandah, ceiling fan, Sky tv, cutlery, crockery and linens.
We were pleased to find such a nice place which would allow us to have our dog along. He's a quiet clean old dog, and loves to travel, but can't always.

When the onsite cafe and pool are completed, I'll increase my rating of Seabreeze. As it is, the best beaches in the world are nearby and the staff referred us to Colenso, an award winning cafe, which is just down the road. What's not to love? http://www.colensocafe.co.nz/food.html

They also seem to provide shovels for Hot Water Beach, and other gear to make life fun. Simple deposit and refund upon return of gear. Very thoughtful.

We were happy to extend our exploration of Coro Peninsula by staying here two nights!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
SeabreezeHolidayPark, Owner at Seabreeze Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2013

Thats great you were able to stay and enjoy the Coromandel for longer! Enjoy the rest of beautiful NZ too.
Kind regards, Dawn and Alan.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

Just a short drive to hot water beach, we used a powered site and didn't use any facilities other than the showers which were clean, very hot and you needed a token. It was sufficient and did the job.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Yes Hotwater beach and also Cathedral Cove are awesomet and so close! Thank you for taking the time to place feedback, we do appreciate it.Kind regards,Dawn and Alan.

Reviewed 17 January 2013

Stayed in the KAKA lodge - clean, well kitted out and lovely hosts that really go above and beyond.
Lovely and close to Hot Water Beach with great facilities.
Internet available and looking around there are great facilities for everyone from campers to backpakers.
All the Kids had fun at the playground and everyone got along so well
Place is amazingly quiet - highly recommended

Room Tip: The cottage we stayed in was the biggest on there and had ample room with everything from fully kitted kitchen to TV & DVD's. The reception is fairly well stocked. I found it the little soaps did not last and was glad I had taken a full kitted sponge bag
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback , glad you enjoyed the beautiful Coromandel!
Kind regards,
Dawn and Alan .

Reviewed 16 January 2013 via mobile

Our first stay was in December 2006 and I believe we were among the first guests ever. Came back in October 2012 and now January 2013. I think that days it all. Great place to stay, friendly staff, clean facilities, heaps of space and we were allowed to bring our dog, YEAH. Thanks to the team at Seabreeze.

• Stayed: January 2013
SeabreezeHolidayPark, Owner at Seabreeze Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review - glad you enjoyed your stay again- do come again soon! and all the best for 2013! KInd regards from Dawn and Alan and the team.