“ANOTHER RIB EYE STEAK TO DIE FOR” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Black Dog Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Chilmark
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“ANOTHER RIB EYE STEAK TO DIE FOR”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

After a bad experience at Jamie Oliver's in Edinburgh with a Rib Eye Steak which was no more than an elbow patch for a sports jacket, I was delighted when my wife decided to treat me here to a meal out.
Ordered 2 Rib Eye Steaks and sipped a Tanqueray and Tonic while awaiting the treat which didn't disappoint at all. When a good butcher supplies great meat to someone like James who knows how to cook it the result is most unlikely to disappoint and it didn't. Washed down with a good Pinot Noir I really enjoyed my visit once again.
With a little red wine left - cheese was called for and this came as threee generous portions of good cheeses accompanied by a delicious apple chutney, assorted olives and a selection of biscuits.
All we had to do after that was the short walk home to catch up with Emmerdale and Corrie!
Many thanks Jayne and James for your excellent hospitality - you are a great team and Chilmark is lucky to have you both.

London, United Kingdom
“Very rude!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

Breaking our journey home from Cornwall to London we stopped at The Black Dog in Chilmark, I know this area well as I used to live there 25 years ago, not only is this a beautiful corner of Wiltshire, the locals are lovely and it was equidistant on our journey from our holidays to home. It was sometime since I had been to The Black Dog and I was looking forward to a warm welcome and a lovely lunch. As we pulled into the car park the chalk board sign indicated that lunch was served "12 to 2pm ish". We were just in the nick of time, or so I thought! We walked into the bar to order some lunch but were told in no uncertain terms by the landlady that the kitchen was closed, I checked my watch, the time was now 4 minutes past 2pm, I asked if "2pm ish" might have covered up to 2:04pm? This light hearted question was met by a very rude "we decide when the kitchen is closed, now it is closed!". The tone of the landlady was quite aggressive all the more surprising given that my wife was clearly 8 months pregnant, we were offered a cold sandwich but felt that the welcome was other than warm and we headed on our way. Fortunately The Beckford Arms, an old favourite and only 5 minutes away was more than happy to serve us, their welcome was warm, the food there was delicious, it is a truly wonderful gastro pub. I don't know really anything about the current owners of The Black Dog but one thing is for sure, they are rude and I would be surprised if they are from the same stock as the other inhabitants of this wonderful corner of England.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Richard M
Salisbury, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely food, Great atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

The Black Dog, is a lovely little pub, with a great atmosphere and good food, A great place to stop by if you've been driving for a long time, very relaxing! When I went there with the Family I had one of their famous Burgers and i'm glad I did, Wonderful taste and lovely service I recommend you get down to The Black Dog for a Burger! A no strings attached great evening!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hampshire
“Fantastic meal, beautiful inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

We travel to Dorset regularly and have often passed The Black Dog and thought it looked an attractive place. We were much later than usual travelling so we thought we would stop on a Friday evening to get a meal. It is such an interesting inn, several different rooms, all very attractive and obviously well cared for, nothing dusty or neglected.

The staff were welcoming and the service by young staff was efficient and friendly. I had tempura battered hake and my husband had belly of pork (one of his favourite dishes). There was a wide choice on the board which showed the menu. There were things like the fish I had but there were more complicated dishes too. My fish came with a dressed salad, a small tin bucket of chips (a lovely touch) and a beautifully carved half lemon. My husband's pork came with new potatoes and a good selection of vegetables. It had a wonderful sauce and apple slices.

We felt too full for a pudding or coffee but I'm sure they would have been good too. There was a lovely welcoming atmosphere in the inn. There is a lot of ground surrounding the inn with outside tables and plenty of room for children to run around. We will certainly be returning.

• Visited July 2013
London
“Cracking little country pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

We've been several times to the Black Dog Inn now as it is the perfect place to stop for lunch or dinner on our way to Devon. The food has always been delicious and the setting is idyllic. The pub has charm and character and the garden is beautiful. The landlady and staff are friendly, attentive and have always been especially accommodating to my wife who is now 9 months pregnant, we love the pub.

• Visited July 2013