“ANOTHER GREAT RIB EYE STEAK”
Review of The Black Dog Inn

The Black Dog Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Chilmark
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Having just arrived back from France where they tend not to know what good beef is or how to cook it I couldn't wait to get into the Black Dog for a tasty Rib Eye.
James you excelled yourself once again with a perfect medium rare steak accompanied with top class chips and vegetables and a pepper sauce with a real pepper kick.
The pinot noir was a great wine match.
Looking forward to my next visit

Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stopped by a few Sundays ago, sat outside in the warm weather enjoying the countryside. We ordered a pint of Guiness (they only have a brand we had never heard of), and a glass of Chardonnay, which turned out to be a cheap Italian Pinot Grigio. (I know my wines). Both drinks, £8.25. We had menu's pushed at us, even though we decided not to eat. This decision seemed to annoy some of the staff because as soon as I had taken my last sip of wine, our glasses were whisked away never to be seen again or refilled, especially at those prices.

3  Thank timetoexploreagain
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stopped at The Black Dog on Friday on our way to Devon, Food was nice but visit spoilt by the very unfriendly woman serving, we ordered drinks, no smile or words, food, same again, 2nd drink and sweet, same again, when she came to lay our table I smiled and thanked her, no response, when she cleared the main, I thanked her and commented how nice the meal had been, no response at all, locals were coming in and getting a very different welcome, she was actually rude to two women who came in to ask if they were still serving food. Such a shame as the food was lovely but wouldn't go back as I like a friendly welcome and at least a smile ..

5  Thank Pat C
Reviewed 24 August 2013

After a bad experience at Jamie Oliver's in Edinburgh with a Rib Eye Steak which was no more than an elbow patch for a sports jacket, I was delighted when my wife decided to treat me here to a meal out.
Ordered 2 Rib Eye Steaks and sipped a Tanqueray and Tonic while awaiting the treat which didn't disappoint at all. When a good butcher supplies great meat to someone like James who knows how to cook it the result is most unlikely to disappoint and it didn't. Washed down with a good Pinot Noir I really enjoyed my visit once again.
With a little red wine left - cheese was called for and this came as threee generous portions of good cheeses accompanied by a delicious apple chutney, assorted olives and a selection of biscuits.
All we had to do after that was the short walk home to catch up with Emmerdale and Corrie!
Many thanks Jayne and James for your excellent hospitality - you are a great team and Chilmark is lucky to have you both.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

Breaking our journey home from Cornwall to London we stopped at The Black Dog in Chilmark, I know this area well as I used to live there 25 years ago, not only is this a beautiful corner of Wiltshire, the locals are lovely and it was equidistant on our journey from our holidays to home. It was sometime since I had been to The Black Dog and I was looking forward to a warm welcome and a lovely lunch. As we pulled into the car park the chalk board sign indicated that lunch was served "12 to 2pm ish". We were just in the nick of time, or so I thought! We walked into the bar to order some lunch but were told in no uncertain terms by the landlady that the kitchen was closed, I checked my watch, the time was now 4 minutes past 2pm, I asked if "2pm ish" might have covered up to 2:04pm? This light hearted question was met by a very rude "we decide when the kitchen is closed, now it is closed!". The tone of the landlady was quite aggressive all the more surprising given that my wife was clearly 8 months pregnant, we were offered a cold sandwich but felt that the welcome was other than warm and we headed on our way. Fortunately The Beckford Arms, an old favourite and only 5 minutes away was more than happy to serve us, their welcome was warm, the food there was delicious, it is a truly wonderful gastro pub. I don't know really anything about the current owners of The Black Dog but one thing is for sure, they are rude and I would be surprised if they are from the same stock as the other inhabitants of this wonderful corner of England.

4  Thank Richard M