“Very good for food. Very poor hospitality.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Black Dog Inn

The Black Dog Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Chilmark
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Devon England
“Very good for food. Very poor hospitality.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

We popped in The Black Dog on the way home from my daughters graduation. We had seen it having passed many times and had always thought it looked nice. The menu was not big but there was plenty of variety which to be honest I prefer as it saves numerous toss ups between dishes. The food itself was very good and I would recommend it. However the woman who served us was quite frankly downright miserable bordering on rude. It was obvious that we were thought to be lowering the tone in her not actually that posh a pub. I would have thought that an unexpected £72 across the counter would have at least brought a small smile but alas not. Such a shame as this could have easily been a 5 star review.

• Visited July 2014
7 Thank John L

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Came across this pub by chance and we are so pleased we did.
Lovely garden, ample parking.
Extensive menu and really friendly staff. We had the burger which was the best burger we had EVER had. There was lots to choose from on the menu and the wait for our food was short.
Would recommend this pub if you are passing.I think we might be passing it a bit more regularly from now on!

• Visited July 2014
Wiltshire
“AMAZING!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is my local pub which I visit very often! I decided the other night to come up with my partner, which we were greeted very warmly by the landlady. I decided to have the resotto and my partner had the burger which is well know and looks amazing! The resotto had salmon which is my favourite and was fantastic.
The food has always been good and so have the staff.
The staff were very friendly and am pleased to have this pub so close to home! I would recommend and have to many people

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Beeskneess
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Very rude and abrupt”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I live in a neighbouring village and myself and a friend decided to try out this pub and restaurant as our village pub closed down last year. The landlady was very rude and abrupt right from the very start and she continued in this manner throughout our meal. The alleged warm welcome was non existant and the service was extremely poor. I will not be stepping over their doorstep again and nor would I recommend the place to anyone. We normally go to the Compasses Inn, another local pub and we will gladly go there again with out custom and not the Black Dog. I don't think I have ever been treated so badly in a restaurant.

• Visited June 2014
5 Thank fovantmum
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Lovely Birthday Celebration”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Whilst visiting family for the weekend who live locally.
Saturday evening table booked for four people to celebrate my wife's birthday.
You don't have to book but we did because it was a Saturday evening.
This is a smallish pub/restaurant ideal for smaller parties although I am sure they can accommodate more.
The room we were in is covered in photographs of Hollywood stars and has a really nice feel about it.
The atmosphere is lovely and the staff were very friendly.
The meals were superb - simple as that, all mains about £15 -£20 a head on average (some less - some more).
I had the belly pork with red marmalade which was just fantastic.
Not a huge menu but enough variety for us.
Overall, we had a great time, about £90 including several drinks for the four of us.
There is no rushing or any pressure, we could have stayed all evening - all very relaxing.
Highly recommended, we will be back again soon hopefully.

• Visited May 2014