“At least average”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Platte City
Kansas City
“At least average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2007

While some people may have had a horrible experience here, our experience has been at least average. The motel is clean, and we have found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

I need the internet and my laptop picks up the wireless LAN quite well. I overheard a guest complain he was having trouble, and the staff was having trouble clearing the problem up. Actually, the motel has three networks, and it is possible any one might be out. There was a terminal in the lobby, and it works well.

Maybe if I were staying for a night, I would choose the Platte City Comfort Inn but in that I am staying here for several days due to damage at my house, I have chosen the cheaper Best Western and it seems like a good choice.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank KansasCityHomebody

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Washington, D.C.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2007

I stayed here from 30 Jan to 9 Feb 2006. Incidents during my 10 day stay, far exceeded the worst hotel experiences I had ever had. Such incidents include but were not limited to, housekeeping leaving my room window open to the weather on a day of sub zero temperatures, failure of the management to follow thru on room repairs, closing hotel customer laundry facilities for a period of at least three days without notifying the customers (and then having a hotel employee laugh at a customer trying to access the laundry machines), and the negligence of hotel staff and management to replace batteries removed from hallway and room smoke detectors during my stay.
DETAILS
A business partner and I arrived at the Best Western Airport Inn and Suites, Platte City on Tuesday, 30 January 2006 while on business. During the check-in process, I was told that the requests I had made during the reservations process were not available. They were simple requests; I needed a refrigerator for medications, I asked for a microwave in order to heat my meals and snacks and in order to continue with my work after hours, I required internet access in my room. When the reservations for this stay were made, my business partner and I were assured all of these requests would be met without hassle. At check-in I was told that my room did not have these things in it. I asked for a new room but was told none were available. A man behind the counter who I would later learn was the Manager, told me that the room was equipped for wireless internet or I could access a public computer in the lobby. It would have been nice to know about this during the reservations process so I could either equip my computer for wireless or find another hotel. He said there were some hardwired internet access rooms there but I would not be able to move during my stay. The handy man said he would find a refrigerator for me. I went into my room to find there actually was a refrigerator and microwave in my room.

The next day at about 6:20 AM, while waiting for the 6:00 AM breakfast to begin, the Manager was at the front counter. I asked him again about moving to a room with hard wired access to the internet and he said he had an alternative idea. I watched him as he reached into a cabinet, I noticed several tangled wires and boxes. He pulled out a device designed to instantly make my laptop ready to receive the wireless signal. I told him I was willing to try it and we went to my room. The device failed to work and over the next few days I tried everything I knew to make it work with no success.

Obtaining access to the internet was to be the least of my problems however. On Sunday 4 February 2006 (Superbowl Sunday), I departed the hotel at about 10:00 AM in order to go to work. After completing my work I returned to my room at about 9:30 PM. As I entered the room I thought I was hit by a wall of ice. My window had been left open! To make matters worse, the heater had been left on and had broke during the day in its efforts to keep the room warm despite exposure to sub zero temperatures! I went to the front desk and explained the situation. I was not looking to have a new room (which was lucky for me since the young lady at the counter never offered to move me). Instead I was simply looking for another blanket to stay warm and assurance that on Monday, my heater would be repaired. The young lady at first had no idea where the blankets were and said she did not think the hotel had any extras, (but I finally got one, with stains and cigarette burns on it). She also wrote down the issue on a note for the manager to address in the morning on Monday. During our conversation about the issue, she offered an explanation as to why the maid service had left my window open. It seems that during the day there were several housekeepers who preferred to smoke in customer’s rooms instead of work. This would certainly have explained my half cleaned room on any given day to that point. Most importantly, it would explain why there were no batteries in my room smoke detector when I checked in. I noticed this because the slide tray which holds the batteries was out of the detector and exposed, and quite void of batteries! Investigating further, I noticed there were two detectors in the hallway, nearest my door that were without batteries also.
Turning back to the broken heater, I returned to my room from work on Monday to find the heater STILL BROKEN! There was no notice in my room explaining the situation, and while my room was not frozen like the night before, it was still colder than the rest of the hotel. I talked to yet another lady at the front desk and she was shocked to hear the story. She tried to call the Manager on his cell phone and got no response. Tuesday when I took time from my work to call him, I got no response either. In fact I also called the hotel and no one answered that line either. Finally on Tuesday night, I returned to a room with a working heater. Perhaps in a sign of rudeness or one-upsmanship, the heater was left on high since its repair sometime in the day. The result was my entering a blast furnace this time instead of a freezer.

Throughout these stated problems and despite at least three notes and messages left for the manager he not once left a message or response to me the customer in regard to the situations at hand. These are not the only issues, which my business partner and I encountered during our stay. Other issues included;

A continental breakfast that started generally around 6:10, even though the hotel advertised a 6:00 AM start. On the morning of the 31st, at 6:25 AM it was not ready.

A front desk attendant who laughed at my business partner when he carried his laundry to the laundry room on the night of the 6th, only to find it void of washers and dryers and closed. The clerk said there would be washers and dryers on the 8th since the manager had just ordered new machines.

Kids were allowed to swim in the hotel pool and use the jacuzzi, unattended by an adult. I witnessed this occur at least three times.

Attendants rarely answered the phone at the front desk, and never before the third ring. My business partner made face to face liaison with the desk attendant each night for his wake up calls because he was tired of playing around on the phone.

DRBWOODY

PS: This is a modified version of the letter I have sent to Best Western Corporate who in turn sent it to the hotel in question. I am promised a response in writing, within seven days.

• Liked — Location to my business affairs
  • Disliked — Management and customer service ethic
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled on business
Holiday Inn Kansas City Airport
Holiday Inn Kansas City Airport
#36 of 108 in Kansas City
Quality Suites Airport Kansas City

Been to Ramada Platte City Kci Airport? Share your experiences!