“Great value and pristine views”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of YMCA Trout Lodge

YMCA Trout Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Potosi
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great value and pristine views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Some rooms are good and some need updates, but no resort has as many things to do as Trout Lodge and few have such a nature display. The Lake views are expansive and pristine. Overall cost becomes a good value when I factor in all the activities and food that is included and a staff that really tries to entertain you and get you involved. Climbing tower, ropes course, boating, horseback, mountain biking, golf... There is never time to do half the things i want when I visit.
I will be visiting again soon.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank kkall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

I recently stayed here for a reunion. We had so much fun! We stayed in the cabins which made it nice b/c 2 families could stay in one but still be separated by double doors. plus all the cabins were fairly close to one another. All of our meals were included. The food was wonderful and the dining hall was very clean and overlooked the lake. We did a little hiking and some of did the zip line. Just a little note, you do have to climb a telephone pole to do the zip line, but it's not that hard. The beautiful location combined with great fall weather made for a perfect family weekend!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank countrygirl26
Chesterfield, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

Just returned from a little family getaway to Trout Lodge. I have lived in Missouri for over 15 years and didn't realize it was even there until recently. We have two children both under 7 years old and it was perfect ! I can't remember when I have spent so much quality time with our children and we even went to Disney this year. Rooms have no TV, can't hardly get cell service so it is the perfect way to just be a family and have fun. The food is included in the room rate. I would rate the food average (cafeteria) kind of food but we certainly didn't go hungry and they have a nice salad bar! The rooms were some of the cleanest rooms I have ever been in and we have stayed in a wide range of places from Tan-Tar-A resort to Ritz Carlton's. I had read other reviews before we went and yes there were a couple of paddle boats that were broken and a few bicycles that needed repair but there is PLENTY to do and if you can't find something to do then you would be unhappy I am guessing just about anywhere. We had an awesome time and spent hardly any additional money aside from the cost of the room. When the kid's were thirsty juice boxes were 50 cents and popsicles were a quarter! They do have a small fee for some activities like our kids did the pony rides and it was 4.00 a piece and they got a free cowboy hat at the end. In one day, we did the following: pony rides, fed the fish ( 25 cents for a hand full of food), rode on funYaks (free), took a 30 minutes tour of the lake on the pontoon boat (free) , paddles boats (free), canoes (free), putt putt golf (free), rode bicycles (free) , waterslide (free), played on the playground (free) and went to the evening dance party (free). We will definitely go back and probably try a cabin next time.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank lisamom2
Fenton, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

This is a great family place to vacation. It's beautiful and private. Lots of activities for the kids. The food is just alright, nothing special. The best part is it's prepared for you.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Dianeq_11
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

Great place to bring friends and Family. Trout Lodge is so big with so many activities to choose from that it helps to research the calendar of events before you visit with their reservations desk to secure spots for pontoon rides, horseback, climbing tower/ropes course, archery, golf... Also Put-Put and waterfront activities & interaction with the staff performers are among the staples you experience.Or just do your own thing and relax & swim at their beach or ride around the historic property. Pretty much every kid of every age that I've been around, including my own, will tell their parents they want to come back soon.
Dining is buffet style with a great view and rooms are simple with all that you need, but no TV's yet to encourage getting out. Too much fun!

Room Tip: Durijng the week and non-summer seasons are easiest to book
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank kkall
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

We stayed 3 nights after picking our kids up from their week at the adjacent YMCA Camp Lakewood property. Activity choices are great but do sign up early as some fill up. In three days we managed to get in sailing, swimming, zip line, horseback riding, hiking, canoeing, target shooting, chess and a couple of movies. Only the zipline and horseback riding cost extra and they weren't expensive.
The property is gorgeous and teeming with life -- eagles, hummingbirds, swifts, frogs, geese, etc. Every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful. Some rooms in the lodge are updated w/ rustic wooden furnishings. Others, including our room, need a redo; wallpaper was stained and coming up in places, balcony railings in desperate need of painting. This aside, the room was clean and modest -- no phone or TV which is how we like it.
Food is so-so and served all-you-can-eat buffet style: Mostly canned fruit and veggies and a lot of fried and processed food. Saturday lunch was cold cuts and I really do expect better. Typical meal is comfort food like meat loaf and mashed potatoes and there is always a salad bar and a kids buffet line. The best part is we can walk away from the table and someone else cleans up dishes. We've been back many times so we know what to expect. This is not a luxury resort but a place to enjoy nature in a low-tech, relaxed setting. Don't expect bells and whistles. Also, BYO wine and beer because it is not served on the property, but you're allowed to have it in your room.

Room Tip: 1st flr rooms have the most direct access to beach
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank citylifemomma
Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

I came for a business conference and phoned ahead because I have food allergies. Usually, I just ask for a microwave and mini-fridge, but when I asked, the director e-mailed me back to let me know they could cater toward my allergies. We exchanged e-mails several times and I found her to be extremely knowledgeable about cooking for food allergy sufferers. When I arrived, the entire staff was supportive and had everthing ready so that I could eat with my colleagues and not have to worry about my own meals. I really enjoyed my stay and enjoyed getting to know the friendly kitchen staff.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank SaraAnn75
Also consider these accommodations in or near Potosi
Baymont Inn & Suites Sullivan
Old Caledonian Bed & Breakfast
Super 8 Sullivan
Super 8 Sullivan
#3 of 6 in Sullivan

Been to YMCA Trout Lodge? Share your experiences!