“Pros: plenty to do, affordable, great staff - Cons: rooms dated, food bland”
Review of YMCA Trout Lodge

YMCA Trout Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Potosi
Reviewed 21 July 2013

A few quick tips our family found on our trip.

Make reservation well in advance. Many popular things fill up, e.g. Pines Peak, Archery, Mud Cave, Pontoon Pirate Ship. Try to sign up a few weeks early even if you aren't 100% sure what you want to do. You can always cancel and your spots will most likely get snatched up.

Another tip, if you are going to sign up for either Pines Peak or the Zip Lines. Go ahead and sign up for both and do them back to back. You already have the equipment on and once your kids see the tower, they will want to do both anyway. Pines Peak and the horse stable are quite a hike (20 min). If you ask the front desk they will tell you how to drive there.

Bring Lysol and a box fan. The rooms definitely have an outdoorsy smell that you may wish to eliminate. It's a little thing but it can make for a better trip.

Bring board games for down time. There are no televisions in the room so spend some family time playing games. I suggest "Would you rather?" the kids version. We would just take turns reading cards out loud and asking silly things like "would you rather be able to fly?" or "would you rather have x-ray vision?"

Bring a couple of folding chairs. You can use them on your balcony that only has two chairs. You can also use them at the campfire to guarantee yourself a comfy seat. You also will want them on the beach so you don't have to fight for a lounger.

Everyone chooses the middle meal time. You most likely will want that time because the others are way to early or late. That also makes it slightly crazy and stressful. Arrive just a few minutes early and claim a table. The place gets packed very quickly and the aisle are tiny. Choose a place to sit on the outside wall furthest from the wall.

We had a great time and plan on going back the next time we see a good deal.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Shawn B

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Months later, my family is still singing the songs we learned around the campfire. The kids love to see pictures of their painted faces, tell about canoeing, fun kayaks, riding horses, our scavenger hunt, and adore the things we made in arts & crafts. There were so many things to do that we ALL fell fast asleep as soon as we read for five minutes.

My kids are six and four. We'll be able to go back for years and years because there are so many things to do for older kids and adults.

The deal is that your lodging also gets you three meals a day. You don't have to cook or clean the kitchen, or shell out extra dollars. There are always vegan and vegetarian options for protein (LOVE the curried lentils for Friday dinner). It is not fancy, but is higher quality than greasy, diner food or fast-food.

The rooms are very basic. Some are updated and some are not--but it's all comfortable enough.

And, of course, the setting is BEAUTIFUL Ozarks. Nature abounds.

Room Tip: The loft rooms have a little more room for kids to move around in and not be stepping on each other.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank 711CarolW711
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Had a fun time at the Trout Lodge - Lots of activities and a helpful, friendly staff. Food could be better - reminded me of high school cafeteria food :(
Rooms are clean but very basic - bring your own shampoo, soap, toothpaste...

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank sjohnson509
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I am a single mom to three small children (my husband passed away from cancer two years ago) so I try to find vacations that 1. I can afford and 2. that I can keep up with my kids. The Trout Lodge is by far the best vacation spot for our situation! My kids now are 5, 7, and 9 and we travel to the Trout Lodge several times a year. For the off season it only costs me $99 and includes three meals a day for all four of us! I don't think I could go anywhere else for that price! We do all the included activities, which keeps my kids busy from sun up to sun down with so many fun things! This past weekend for example the kids did archery, funyaking, swimming, mini golf, road bikes, went on a pontoon boat ride, went to a campfire with skits and s'mores, learned how to geocache, did family Olympics, and so many other fun activities! This didn't cost us a dime extra!
The rooms are very basic with two beds and a bathroom. There is no TVs or phones, which I love because it makes us spend quality time together! They have a small library where the kids pick out books and I read them a book each night to fall asleep to. They also have games you can check out at the front desk. Really, there is absolutely no way for a child to be board here!
The staff is absolutely phenomenal with the kids! They are all energetic and ready to interact with the kids. Even at meal time they take the time to talk to the kids.
The meals are all buffet style, which is great since my kids all eat differently. They always have vegetables on the kids area and a salad buffet. My kids are very picky eaters, but always find something good to eat.
We have already planned our next trip and can't wait to come back. I really just can't say enough good things about the Trout Lodge (but maybe I should so it doesn't start booking up on us).

Room Tip: We have only stayed in the guest rooms and they all have lake view balconies attached to them. I ca...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank kristinaw898
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We spend several days there every year - we love Trout Lodge! It's definitely a YMCA setting, so there are always various groups with their own activities, and the cafeteria shifts can be busy. Horse ranch, canoes, mini golf, walking trails, craft sessions, extraordinary scenery - all are great. The rooms are very basic, but clean and comfortable. If you're looking for a resort/spa experience, this probably isn't the best place for you, but if you are looking for a great family environment in a beautiful setting with many great activities, this is the place.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Went as part of a Road Scholar (formerly Elderhostel) group and found it an enjoyable relaxing place in a sylvan setting. All lodge rooms have a lake view. Walking trails are well marked and are of various lengths. All meals are buffet style. Dessert and salad bar selection stayed the same the five nights we were there.
The setting is strictly rural so no close by restaurants if you opt to eat off site. Basic lodge rooms are comfortable but small. No phone, TV, microwave, but refrigerators are available on a limited basis on request. We found wi-fi adequate for our laptop but no cell phone service (Verizon). Fishing, pedal boats, kayaks, horseback riding offered along with complimentary miniature golf and volleyball. Great place to get away from urban setting.

Room Tip: Cabins for families and larger rooms available. I did not check these out but was told no accommodat...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank theatregoernap
Reviewed 17 August 2012

My husband and I book a weekend at the Trout Lodge every Valentines Day weekend. The Trout Lodge hosts a weekend just for couples at a very inexpensive price with all 3 meals a day included. So many romantic, couple building activities are offered if you want to have a schedule or you could just "wing" it and enjoy each other's company. There's a ping pong table in the back of the Lodge facing the lake that we like to play on. At night, you can sit around a campfire and sing sings or tell stories with other guests. On Saturday, the Trout Lodge hosts a delicious prime rib dinner and it's decorated so romantically with the dim lights and table settings. They usually have a live band playing soft music during the meal. After everyone's eaten, you can go upstairs and join others for dancing (a different live band). We also enjoy the local winery that comes in to let you sample their wine and cheese. The Trout Lodge doesn't serve alcohol or let you bring alcohol out in the open (I guess you can have it in your room as long as it's in private) so it's nice for a lot of couples to enjoy some wine before the dinner on Saturday. It helped with that romantic atmosphere. There's a scavenger hunt that we always go on and they offer a prize if you find everything. We also like the horse drawn carriage rides that you can schedule for a small fee. Be sure and bring warm clothing and maybe a blanket if you go on the carriage ride. They take you all around the lake so you can see it lit up at night.

During the summer, I bring my girls and their friends several times for the day passes. We've never taken a family vacation here but would like to. The cost for us is $20.00 a person ages 13 and up and $10.00 for children. Children below a certain age are free. With the day pass, one meal of your choice is provided, buffet style. The food isn't gourmet but is very good considering it's free. There are lots of healthy choices with the salad bar and they have several desserts and a hot food section. Endless drinks while you're eating. We're always so hungry after a day on the water! I guess our favorite thing to do is take the kayaks out on Sunnen Lake. We all get a definite upper body workout paddling the kayaks most of the afternoon. They make everyone use life jackets so there's no use arguing about it even if you can swim. The kids also like getting the bicycles and riding all over the Trout Lodge. They make the kids wear helmets which is good because I've witnessed quite a few bike accidents while I was there... nothing major. The hills are hard to ride up and down but the kids enjoy it:-) We love playing sand volleyball and swimming in the lake. The life guards won't let the kids swim past a certain point unless they can pass a swimming test. The test is hard and not everyone who thinks they should pass the test does pass the test so be prepared for some sad kids if they're wanting to go into the deep. My kids also love to go on the water slide that's open 15 minutes every hour. During the evening, the Trout Lodge offers an ice cream float.... it's where they take you out on a pontoon boat all around the lake and feed you ice cream and root beer! LOVE to do this! You have to sign up for it though and I think it costs a little extra. Sometimes the Lodge offers karaoke on the beach during the summer time. We've had a blast doing this with the kids. You might want to call ahead to find out if there's an event or party planned for the day you want to come just so you know what's all offered.

There's just so much to do here we never run out of activities... only time! I almost forgot to mention the horse ranch! If you want, you can sign up for one of several trail rides during the winter and summer months. The trout pond is free but it's definitely catch and release. We tried to learn to fly fish here but never got very good at it. lol There is fishing in Sunnen lake and they do give you fishing poles if you forget your own. We've caught several fish here. Some days we go down just for the fishing if the kids aren't with us.

The Trout Lodge is only a little over an hour from St. Louis and I think it's well worth the time and money to make such good family memories! Some of our best memories are here with our kids:-)

Room Tip: If you're traveling with your family, you may want to check out their cabins instead of the Lodg...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank shellakers

Been to YMCA Trout Lodge? Share your experiences!