“Always a romantic weekend!”
Review of YMCA Trout Lodge

YMCA Trout Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Potosi
st louis mo
“Always a romantic weekend!”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Most years, my husband and I spend our anniversary at The Trout Lodge on their Valentine's Day weekend. We've never been disappointed. The value is a little pricey for some people, but for all they offer, we've always been so happy to pay the price.

There are so many activities that you can join in as a couple. BUT, you don't have to ever come out of your room if you don't want to;-) The walls are a little thin though and I have heard some people complain about that! lol THIS year, they definitely didn't decorate like they usually do. They barely decorated at all and I guess this would be my only complaint.

The Valentine's dinner of prime rib was better this year than we've ever tasted it. After dinner, we enjoyed listening to the band and dancing. There's also wine and cheese tasting. Wine is available to purchase. Oh and I ALWAYS look forward to the hour long massage. The price is fantastic ($45 for the hour). Remember to bring extra $ if you want to do the horse drawn carriage or the massage. It's an additional charge not included in the price of the weekend.

We like that the YMCA includes 3 meals a day in the price of the weekend. We're happy to make this weekend a tradition!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

I last visited the Lodge in 2002 for an annual conference. The location is breathtaking--smack dab in the beautiful Ozarks. I arrived with other attendees shortly after 11 a.m. The staff was very accomodating, allowing me to check in early. Unfortunately, the restaurant wasn't open. We were directed to another facility where we ended up eating with school age campers. Good thing since the closest restaurant is miles away on narrow, twisting roads. The room was spotless but slightly tired looking. Nothing fancy. The beds however are comfortable. I stepped over to open the curtains and to my surprise, the floor was spongy between the bed and the balcony door. I also found the same thing on the 2nd floor balcony. Needless to say, I didn't take advantage of the glorious view of the lake in full autumn color. I noted both issues on the exit survey when I checked out two days later.
The restaurant is situated to take advantage of the lake views. Coffee is superb and the buffet style offerings for all 3 meals were good, solid American comfort food. Not fancy but worth the price. Bacon was crisp and NOT microwaved. Glory be. Desserts were a little disappointing, obviously not made on site. I had a good time.
With a little maintenance completed and freshening up of the facilities, I would have no qualms about awarding Trout Lodge 4.5 stars.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sharon B
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 28 June 2014

If you are looking for a place to take the family for the day to get outdoors and make some memories together this is a great destination and the day pass is an amazing value!! For $30 a person you get access to everything on campus including mini-golf, archery, boating, fishing, swimming, beach play, crafts, sports, playground, hiking, nature center and more! As a parent of young children it is hard to find a day trip or vacation spot that actually feels like vacation for everyone but we have found that in the Trout Lodge! I love that most of the equipment for activities is left out for you to use such as mini-golf and beach toys which makes things fast and easy with children. Activities are near by each other which means kids of various ages and interests can do what they want and you can keep an eye on them pretty easily, plus it doesn't take long to get anywhere. You will want to look at the activity schedule for the day and decide what you might want to sign-up for in advance. We signed up for archery and an evening boat ride on the lake. Most things you can just walk up and do, including bike rental, crafts etc. The craft room is a great place to go mid-day to cool off and do something less physical. As a mom, I love that meals are available at the lodge (one comes with your day pass and you can add additional ones), no decisions about where to go, what to eat and no clean up! If you live with in a 2 hour drive (St. Louis is 1hr. 30min.) plan to stay for the evening activity. We visited on a Friday and our boys got a kick out of the campfire songs and skits and we ended the day with smores! Excellent value, especially if you have kids age 5 and under because they are FREE! Oh we also, loved meeting all the summer staff who come from around the world!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 50stateswithtwins
Saint Charles, Missouri
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Valentines Day in the spacious 2 bedroom cabin with a fireplace blazing. It just doesn't get much better than that. The lodge is so very helpful, from check-in to all the way through the weekend. Having failed to get my merit badge from the Boy Scouts for fire building, the maintenance department even dropped off fire starters for me to use. So many events offered, even in the middle of winter with snow on the ground. We attended a poetry writing seminar, went on a winery tour, just enjoyed driving around the grounds. On Saturday night, there was a dinner with white tablecloths and placement cards. These guys really did a great job with the dinner. Cabin rates vary depending on the season. Ours was secluded, up near the top of the hill and was priced at $200 per night. Considering meals are included and if you wanted to, there is 2 bedrooms, with additional bunk beds (yippee!) and roll-a-way beds for a total of 10 sleeping places. Bring friends and family and the cost is even less. We plan to return in the summer for more events. Oh, nearly forgot. The winery has a program called 'Grape Friends' where you can come to the vineyards and help them harvest their grapes. They feed you and they get their grapes picked. Kinda like a Tom Sawyer deal, but sounds like so much fun. That's definitely on our to-do list for this fall. Go to EDG-CLIF web site to find out about this event.

Room Tip: We were in 4302, (the 02 signifies 2nd story), that's near the top of the hill. These cabins are...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ValleyJet
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed just 1 night but you are encouraged to come early before checking in and to stay beyond checkout to enjoy all the activities they offer. We arrived around 11:00 am and our room was available so we were able to check in and enjoy a days worth of fun. My son had a super time as well as his momma and dad!!!

• Stayed November 2013
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

We have been staying at trout lodge for 10 years now. It never gets boring.
Make sure to book your extra activities the week before you arrive. Activities book up quickly.
Try to visit on off peak times when kids are free. You can't beat getting a room for 100 bucks and feeding the whole family 3 meals. Just keep checking back for specials.
All the special holiday weekends are fun. Easter, thanksgiving, Halloween, New Years!
Pines peak and pine zip are scheduled one after another and are located at the same place. Sign up for both.
The lodging is not fancy. It's basic and clean. But far from a 5 star hotel.
The food has never disappointed us. It's not fancy either. But you won't be hungry.
There are no TVs in the rooms. So , bring board games.
No cell service for Verizon.
The staff are always polite and helpful.
My 15 year old and 12 year old still get excited for our weekends here.

Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Asilhal
Rome, Lazio, Italy
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I did a lot of activities that I have never had and all of these were very funny. All the stuff is very helpful. I had shotgun for the first time with this very good instructor (I think his name is Massimo), he was Italian and he came at dinner with us and he told us about his country.
The lake is amazing, you can take the canoe or the kayak (free) and going around.
Our house was very comfortable.
I hope I will come again in this beautiful place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Daniele O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Potosi
Baymont Inn & Suites Sullivan
Super 8 Potosi
Super 8 Potosi
#2 of 2 in Potosi
Old Caledonian Bed & Breakfast

Been to YMCA Trout Lodge? Share your experiences!