Residence Inn St. Louis Galleria
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$179
US$137
Sheraton.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Clayton Plaza Hotel(Clayton)(Great Value!)
US$127
US$157
US$147
US$118
US$111
All reviewsgalleria mallfull kitchenlonger termloft bedroomconvenient locationmain buildingeasy accessoutdoor pooloatmealfloor roomsitting areaminute driveupon checktwo blocksfree internetup to datecity museum
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 September 2006

I was at the St Louis Galleria located on 1100 McMorrow Avenue. I spent one night only, 8/12, in what was supposed to be a non-smoking room. On top of all the other problems with the room, it reeked of smoke. I am allergic to smoke and asked to move to another room but was told there were none available. Being unfamiliar with the St. Louis area and having just spent 8 hours in the car, I was not comfortable searching out a new hotel in the dark.

The next morning my hair, clothes, luggage, makeup case, etc. all reeked of smoke. My eyes were very puffy and I had a severe sinus headache. I was actually worried that taking a shower in this place might leave me dirtier than before I got in. I did shower but then spent the day driving in my car still reeking of smoke since my clothes now smelled like it.

The photos of the hotel on Marriot are quite misleading. I am sure that these are standard issue room photos and not photos of the actual hotel but when making reservations I often use these photos to determine what location will suit my travel needs best. I am posting real photos of the room that I stayed in.

I did finally hear back from the management and I will be credited 20,000 bonus Marriot Rewards points which would be the enough for a free night at this hotel.

I would not return here for any reason. I am a loyal Marriott customer, I have not spent a single night with any other hotel brand this year. I understand that there can be bad hotels out there even under a good brand but this one was just so disgusting that I really felt the need to let other travelers know about it.

Stayed: August 2006
8  Thank JCSISEMORE
Reviewed 29 June 2006

Although I respect the experiences of the two previous posts, I have to disagree. I booked this hotel for business purposes with MANY different situations involving 5 people and everything was handled very professionally. Katina at the front desk is FANTASTIC and deserves a raise! She coordinated my needs like a travel agent. The front desk was always there to send a fax for us, take care of fed-x needs and help move boxes when needed.

The hotel is set up like an apartment complex and was completely full every night. The rooms are large and have most everything you would need for a long stay. My only complaints are with house keeping. Although they visited everyday and took out trash and replaced towels, my sheets on the bed were not replaced during my entire stay (6 days) and the room was never vacuumed or dusted.The rooms have a bit of wear and tear. The chair in my room was filthy and worn, and I noticed if I forgot and went barefoot, my feet got very dirty. I do have to say, the use of Febreeze is heavy. My room was a smoking room (the only room available for early checkin at my arrival) and whenever house keeping came in, they doused it good.

The breakfast is okay. It consisted every day of powdered scrambled eggs, seasoned potatoes, and sausage patties, with something else thrown in daily (flour tortillias, pancakes, french toast) There is also a waffle maker, cereals, breads, etc. Anything that is cooked starts as a frozen product.
Same with the managers special at night, although if you are on a budget, free food is free food. The staff at both the breakfast bar and evening reception worked very hard to keep it well stocked and clean.

The pool is lovely.

The Galleria Mall is right across the street with shopping, shopping, shopping. There is a metro station within walking distance that will be opening soon.

All in all, the stay was pleasant, and the staff bent over backwards to accomodate all our needs during our stay.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
3  Thank Mona60
Reviewed 22 June 2006

ohmigod, I hardly know where to begin...I have just submitted a lengthy report to the Mariott Corporation about why I left the property Here is my advice, based on my horrendously nightmarish experience :First of all, don't believe anything you are told about what to expect regarding your accomodations that you have pre-arranged. If you have any kind of special needs, get everything in writing first, because the front desk women are oddly detached and robotic and they will deny any agreement that you received when you made the reservation.
Do not expect them to react with expectable concern about your satisfaction at their property.

This was the worst experience I have ever had at a hotel in my life.and, oddly, my stay 3 months earlier was good enough to warrant my return, although I must admit the handwriting had been on the wall about those women at the front desk.After negotiating the kind of accomodation I was told to expect, and getting only moderately close to what I had expected, I entered a room that was SATURATED with the chemical deodorizer FEBREZE.
I was told to leave for a few hours (after traveling all day and expecting to be able to shower and rest and a door was opened (in the 95 degree heat) to "air it out". when I returned, there was no change. I had infomred the hotel that I had severe allergies, asthma, chemical sensitivity. they told me that they were "at capacity" and that was that. Even though I was a Mariott Rewards customer, (I have since ripped up my card)I was treated as though I WAS THERE TO MEET THEIR NEED NOT TO HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE ISSUE. To make a long harrowing story short, I was left to spray down the room with water in an attempt to neutralize the toxicity of the chemical deodorizer(Why was management not taking charge of attempting to move me or neutralize the Febreze? I was PAYING TO TROUBLESHOOT THE PROBLEM!--- the curtains were reeking of Febreze, as was the air itself,suffered respiratory distress for over 24 hours , slipped on the water and sustained a seriously painful and debilitating injury to my foot --- finally checked out without staying after sobbing from the entire ordeal, had to call their corporate customer carre numerous times becasue the property refused to file an incident report, ...they also refused to refund my $$$ even though I left and had to sleep on a relative's couch, until I contacted the corporate headquarters....never reached the manager on the property, who did not bother to contact me the next day .....or the day after, until I literally got through to the office of MR. MARIOTT himself.Suffice to say, there is something TERRIBLY WRONG witht he management of this property. TO BACK UP THE PREVIOUS REVIEW --- BEWARE THIS PROPERTY IF YOU HAVE ANY KIND OF DISABILITY!While much of this treatment could be chalked up to sexism,there is no question that there is something altogether "off' about either how this particular property is run, or about the Mariott chain as a whole. I won't ever find out, because I will never stay at a Mariott hotel again. In all fairness, there was one sweet timid new employee, who, when she saw me sobbing, offered to give me a hug.....which I declined, somewhat shocked at the well-intentioned but inappropriate , offer....Getting a "hug' is NOT what people are seeking when they check into a hotel....being given a trouble-free hospitable experience would have gone a lot further in "easing" my distress.

• Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank smithandzip
Reviewed 26 May 2006

This is a property that is spread out and resembles a reasonably well-maintained garden apartment complex. It is in close proximity to Washington University in St. Louis, so parents of students frequently stay here. Quite recently, we had an unpleasant experience here when we arrived with a large family party, some of whom were elderly with disabilities. Although we made sure to inform the hotel of this fact when we reserved ( several months in advance) requesting that the block of rooms reserved be in close proximity to each other, we were assigned rooms in the four outermost corners of the property. The seniors really had a hard time.

The hotel staff was informed months ago that some of its guests were disabled and required monitoring. Confirming requests were repeated on several occasions prior to arrival, even as late as two days before we arrived. All requests were ignored. Marriott rewards silver elite status was meaningless at this property and the staff is apparently completely insensitive to individuals with special needs. There are lots of other good choices in and around the University area.

3  Thank maxgo0
A TripAdvisor Member
Macon, MO
Reviewed 9 April 2006

Very clean room with good layout. Loved the fireplace. Convenient to the Galleria and all the other spots (St. Louis University, the Hill) visited.

Stayed: February 2006