“Everything I'd heard was spot on!”
Review of Big Cedar Lodge

Big Cedar Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ridgedale
Arenzville
“Everything I'd heard was spot on!”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I'd read about the place then got rave reviews from my friends...couldn't be more pleased. We'd planned to stay for three days with a visit to Branson each day, but after seeing and experiencing Big Cedar we only went to Branson for part of a day....too much to do, see, and experience at BC.
Yes, pricey, but I'd give it an "A" for value received. Our lakeside cabin was remarkable and the guest services were "there" and "helpful," not in your face. My only negative and it's but a minor one: the lady at the boatdock who tried to sell us real estate. Do we really need that while on vacation. But this is a rave review. I traveled 7 hours to get there and plan to return. Oh...one more thing..the cleanliness and attention to detail in the cabins and on the grounds. I didn't know resorts still did this so well!

Room Tip: If you're going for a cabin, get one on the lake.
2 Thank Kenneth B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Rusitc elegance. Nice place for a romantic getaway with plenty of activities without having to go anywhere else. The restaurants where good, friendly staff. The swimming pools where clean and well maintained. If you just want to stay in your room or cabin or if you want the night life it's a great place to vacation.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dan L
Emporia, Kansas, United States
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This was our 1st trip to Big Cedar Lodge but certainly not our last. All staff members were extremely hospitable and appeared to enjoy visiting with us. I would highly recommend this vacation spot to others as there's something to do for everyone!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Knotty Pine Cabins and their location.
1 Thank Gloria S
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Just got back from a 3 night stay at Big Cedar Lodge. We had a wonderful time with our 2 daughters ages 9 and 10. So many things to do! Loved the Top of the Rock restaurants and the cave tour. We did think Osage restaurant was a little better than Arnie's but they were both good. So pretty! Also visited Dogwood Canyon and love it even more! The resort was very nice and the bed were very comfy. My girls really enjoyed the cookie lady delivering gingerbread cookies every afternoon. We will definitely return!

Room Tip: We stayed at Falls lodge and really enjoyed the balcony!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This was the 5th year we've stayed at Big Cedar when we go to pick up our children from Kanakuk camps. The first year we stayed in one of the hotels, and it was ok, but nothing special. The next year I didn't get the reservation in time and the hotels were booked, but they had an open cabin. We simply love the cabins. It gives us more room to spread out, and after 2 weeks of camp my boys just want to take it easy. With the cabin we can stock up on our own food and avoid the crowds at the restaurants on the property. Big Cedar is a popular place--we are amazed at the number of people that visit. In the cabin you are just kind of away from it all. We've stayed in the cabins by the marina as well as the ones on the other side of the lake and like them all. You can sit on the deck and watch the wildlife--including the occasional skunk. Fortunately the decks are all raised so you aren't in danger. A huge perk if you are picking up campers is that they will do your camp laundry so you can bring home two weeks worth of clean clothes. We've rented boats, and prefer to do so in the morning as the lake can get crowded. We love the wings from room service and we've also had them bring the backyard baskets that you can grill yourself on your deck. We aren't big fans of the crowds in Branson so the cabins at Big Cedar have been the perfect fit for us.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
St louis
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Ok, where to begin? My husband and I first found big cedar 5 years ago, and we loved it. We were newly married and it was a perfect vacation spot for us. It offered plenty of outdoor beauty and activities with a a perfect mix of comfort and amenities. We have come back every year as our family has grown. We thought of it as a perfect family vacation location, with something to offer for all ages. Well I will tell you, the place has changes tremendously over just the last four years. Rooms are run down, staff is rude and as guest we were treated like an inconvenience to the staff at every turn. Actually, today is the last day of our 6 day stay and we will not likely be back.
1) we had to change rooms, twice. Not only is this inconvenient. But it took up the majority of two days of vacation.
2) No view in our final destination and on the first floor we felt like we were in the basement.
3) there were spiders coming out of the kitchen sink, we have a small baby and this was alarming to me. What if he was bitten.
4) the room was in major disrepair. Holes in the plaster. Shower drain was stuck closed. Carpet snagged. Etc
5) the most disgusting floor, walking on it for a moment turned ur socks or bare feet black! Yes black! Not an easy feeling when u have two little ones who want to crawl around.
6) we needed clean linens on the fourth day, I called and asked for new sheets and some more bath towels. The rude staff asked me why... I explained that we had spilled something. We waited for about and hour, no one came, so we went about our day. We returned to the clean linens and towels being thrown on the floor next to our bed... On that disgusting floor. So we are expected to change our own sheets... Which is more difficult than you think considering they do not have proper covers. Just a series of sheets. And now my "clean sheets" are gross from the floor
7) there was/is someone or herd of someones running around at all hours of the night. Night one I politely asked them not to jump around because we stayed in the unit beneath them and had a baby. When they run and slam doors the light fixtures rattle so loud the baby wakes up screaming. Not a fun thing to have happen at 9pm, 1am, 4am and right now at 5 am. They didn't stop and after I called the front desk. They send someone to ask them to quiet down. Next thing you know is a drunk from that room telling off that patio.
8) my final complaint and one that takes the cake. Walking to the pool from our unit in 2700, my 3 yr old holding my hand. We were almost hit by a white wilderness lodge truck. The staff driver was going far too fast and not paying attention. Look, you are at a resort with many small children. You should NOT be speeding throw the residences, by the pool or anywhere for that matter. They came within 2 feet of us. We were walking right on the edge of the landscaping and I threw my son into the landscaping to protect him from what I thought was a sure impact. This person did not even slow down or look our way .
In summary, I like big cedar it's a nice idea and beautiful setting. We will not be back unless they do some major renovations and rail in their rude rude staff. When paying for a vacation I want to be treated like a customer and respected as such . Not at all my experience here.

• Stayed August 2014
9 Thank TripAnnie
BCLGuestServices, Manager at Big Cedar Lodge, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
We are sorry to hear about the inconveniences you experienced. We will be sure to send this on to our neighboring property Wilderness Club.
Tuttle, Oklahoma
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

This place is an amazing place to stay!! Worth the money and awesome service. So many things to do with easy access to Branson. Anywhere we went was nice and clean and had great service. Highly recommended!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ridgedale
Marriott's Willow Ridge Lodge
Westgate Branson Lakes Resort
Westgate Branson Woods Resort
Hilton Promenade at Branson Landing
Hotel Grand Victorian
Hotel Grand Victorian
#19 of 140 in Branson
Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa

Been to Big Cedar Lodge? Share your experiences!