“Great service and great food”
Review of Corner Cafe

Corner Cafe
Ranked #1 of 16 Restaurants in Riverside
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We always get great service at Corner Cafe, and the food is just like mom use to make. Found this place when looking for houses up in North KC, now it is a favorite when we dont want to cook.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Stopped at the Corner for breakfast on the way back from taking my wife to the airport. Had a desire for biscuits and gravy and as usual The Corner did not disappoint. Always good and well priced. I'd suggest the small or medium order. I got the medium and could not have eaten a large order. The medium was all I could eat. Great food at a very reasonable price.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

We came on a Sunday morning around 10:30. There was about a 30 minute wait and it was very busy, which made me believe it must be good. I had an omelette and my boyfriend had an egg, bacon, pancake combo. The portions were generous. We were starving by the time the food arrived. Everything was delicious and we ate every last bite. We happened to be seated at a table right near the bakery where a lady was making pies, bread, and cookies and where the servers put the icing on the cinnamon rolls. Had we had any more room, we would have loved to try the cinnamon rolls - they looked amazing! We did get a couple of cookies to go which happened to get a little melted later while we were at the zoo - they were awesome. Soft, chewy goodness!

The decor was just that of a family restaurant. Nothing fancy, but we weren't looking for fancy - just good breakfast!

Reviewed 10 August 2013

Just finished dinner here and I have to say I was disappointed. No wait for Saturday evening, we were early. I had the turkey dinner, and I'm sure nothing was home made. Not fresh real turkey, just the slices. Stuffing seemed to be box variety! Cranberry sauce was a dab out of a can. My husbands chicken fried steak was very good! Waitress was okay! Just a disappointing experience!

Reviewed 9 August 2013

My family and I are staying a few blocks away from this establishment in a hotel for a few weeks. My husband is working at a local company and we came to visit him. He did forewarn me prior to going that he had heard some rumblings from other members of his team about quality of food here. I thought it could not be that bad...I mean...we are in the Kansas City area...where home cooking and super polite service abounds. Let me tell you how very wrong I was.
We walked in to a nice looking cafe. It had all the usual atmospheric items...a classic motorcycle welcomes you at the front door, the open grill, and there are pictures of patrons all over the walls. We were seated right away and had plenty of time to review the menus.
I have Crohns so it is difficult for me to find foods that I can eat, I didn't think this would be a problem here. Words like homemade, fresh, and made daily were peppered all over their menu. Many items listed gravy or sauce as part of their meal so I automatically skip those since I am gluten free. I settled on the Flat iron steak, an 8oz choice with a side of cabbage and mashed potatoes.
My husband decided on the daily pasta special and the kids had spaghetti and tomato sauce.
My four year old is very picky but how can you go wrong with pasta and sauce?
My ten year old would eat a half baked rubber chicken...I didn't think there is a way to stop him from eating...until today.
After deciding we sat and coloured, and played "eyespy", and coloured some more, and tried to make up stories about the people in the pictures on the wall, and....WAITED and WAITED...
Finally Stanley, a waiter from another section took pity on us. He got us some drinks and told our waitress we were ready.
Michelle shows up all flustered, takes our order with little patience and literally runs away. Oh, poor dear is run off her feet...I start to feel sorry for her and mentally note to give a good tip because she is obviously overworked.
My four year old is starting to get anxious/hungry/bored and is putting whining. The place is loud so I am not too worried about it but Stanly sure is...he comes by and takes the time to talk to him. Calms him right down...THANK YOU STANLEY!
Michelle comes by a few minutes later and with our food. OH MY...what have we here? Watery past with tomato paste and a meatball for the kids, watery pasta for my husband but my is covered in gravy...WHAT? Gravy was not part of the description on the menu. I tell Michelle that I can't eat gravy because it has flour in it...here starts the beginning to Michelles rudeness...she snatched the plate away and we could hear her yell at the kitchen staff "this isn't supposed to have gravy!". A few minutes later she returns with another plate. Okay now I get a good look at my meal...a tiny piece of chuck meat, a small pile of funny looking mashed potatoes and a small bowl of cabbage. I ask my husband if the potatoes were homemade and he says he is sure they are because this place looks like it makes things from scratch. I take a bite....nope....boxed mashed potatoes. Thats gonna make me sick tomorrow...okay...move on...to cabbage. I love cabbage! Aggggh, I don't know what that is but cabbage does not come to mind. It is soaked in some kind of bacon grease with perhaps pieces of ham or mystery meat in it.
Michelle walks by and I call to her. I ask if the potatoes are real and she says 'Nope' and walks away quickly...ummmm....okay!
I eat my cheap piece of meat and push my plate to the edge. Michelle comes by and ask if I am finished. My answer is "I can't eat that" she dosen't even make eye contact and walks away. Ummmm...okay...essentially dissed twice now. My kids and husband are finished too. Not because they ate but because they can't eat. My husband ate his meatballs, my four year old ate two strands of overcooked pasta and my eating machine ten year old actually said his food was making him sick.
My husband is scanning the room for a manager and I just want to leave. Michelle walks by and dumps our bill on the table saying she'll be right back over her shoulder as she walks away. I try to say excuse me to get her attention but she is already gone. WOW...dissed again. We leave a $50 on the edge of the table and she sweeps by and grabs it without even a comment like "be right back"...nothing.
She is either daft or knows we are really upset and just does notwant to deal with it. Our $1.27 gets deposited on our table...no "good evening", "get bent", or a smack in the face...she is practically running...
Wanna know how ticked I am? I normally would leave a $6-$10 tip on a $50 meal depending on the service. Michelle got zero, zip, nada...
The food sucks, the waitress was atrocious and I would not return here if I was paid to do so!!!
P.S. Stanley...if you are reading this...please by all that is holy...please leave this establishment and go work somewhere else before it sucks all that is good out of you!
P.S.S. Management...if you are reading this...please give Stanley a raise!!!

1  Thank MelissaRG72