“Nice rooms but sevice and smell...”

Argosy Casino Hotel & Spa Kansas City
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Riverside
Cary, North Carolina
“Nice rooms but sevice and smell...”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I recently stayed at the Argosy so my husband could play black jack and I could relax. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a nice young lady at the desk. While being checked in, another desk agent came by and asked if she was doing a good job or if she needed to be fired. While I appreciate a fun working environment, I prefer a touch more formality at a hotel. As mentioned in prior reviews, the property is non-smoking but the casino allows smoking. As a result, the entire property smells like an ozone machine trying to cover the smell of smoke. Our room smelled like stale smoke as well. I imagine it is because of having clothes in the rooms that have a smell of smoke but still a bit offputtiing.
Soon afer checking in, I went to book a spa appointment. I had called two days prior and told "it was no problem to wait to book a treatment" but when I went to book something I was told they were completely committed for the day. Definitely a training issue! I decided to go work out instead. I plugged my ipod into the treadmill only to realize none of the televisions on the machines worked. Back to the spa (it connects) I went and was told "they don't work". Then why do you have them?!! The only large television had TERRIBLE picture and sound. Needless to say, my relaxing time was not going to happen!
Finally, we had a very early flight the next day so requested a 4am wake-up call. Guess what. You guessed it! NO WAKE UP CALL! That is BAD, BAD, BAD!!! Thankfully, we had set our phones as I did not feel confident from the other things. I mentioned it as we were leaving and I just got a blank stare.
The rooms are lovely and the showers are AMAZING! We got a good deal so hate to complain but if we had stayed one night earlier for $200 more, I would be calling management. Overall, a mediocre stay and I won't be going back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank misskay6367

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

I've come here over the years since 2008 and have recently stayed twice at the hotel again and I noticed some things I didn't before that I don't like. The overwhelming smell of cigarettes is apparent when you walk in and everywhere. I know it's a casino, but alot have gone non smoking, in this day and age with the knowledge of the dangers you have to be nuts to smoke. The rooms are way overpriced, sure the shower is nice, but the rest average. If anything, the wall mounted flatscreens are a bad idea as you can hear the next rooms tv blaring through the paper thin walls. Which brings the next issue, connecting doors. Unless it's a kid friendly Hotel there should be no connecting doors as usually creates noise issues. I don't enjoy hearing someone elses music, or sex, or party in the middle of the night when I'm trying to sleep. I actually had to complain twice the past two times I was there about noise issues. Then if you like to sleep late you have to deal with the noise in the hall from the cleaning people barging through. The buffet was average and the employees that work there couldn't care less about their job or serving people. I had to hunt down one of the staff members who is engaged with conversation non work related with several others to find a table. Love the fact that everyone want to tip to side from tipping the waitress that brings you a soda the people that make a mess Exedra have a tip jar for them too since when does everybody in the world get a tip for doing their job? Maybe I should too. The other restaurants are good though I must say Crazy Olives, The Journey and a little pastry shop Zoe's has some good items. Leo's Deli in the casino area is good too. The casino is nice has a lot of ame selections but very smokey. However this free soda dispensers are a nice option. Overall I will go again but try to get a higher room away from the elevator I think the third floor is a smoking floor so don't get put on that floor if you are a non smoker. Good Luck!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mark D
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This hotel has a casino attached to it. I've played at the casino before but the hotel is lacking. I stayed here just before Thanksgiving in 2013. My room smelled like ammonia. It was nasty. The hotel staff was rude, the restaurants were overpriced, and every amenity had an extra charge with it. Hotel management seemed that they did everything they could possibly do to stop customer loyalty, such as charging for drinks in the casino and then when you leave the casino and immediately try to return with the drink that you just purchased, you were not permitted to bring the drink back in. I do not recommend this hotel or casino to anyone and I will not return. Not only are the rooms here expensive but they charge for every single amenity. If I could give this hotel a zero rating, I would do so!

Room Tip: Find Another Place to Stay
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Chipster58
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival the smell if tobacco smoke was awful. The ventilation was poor. The customer service desk had moved and it took forever to find it. It was my husbands birthday and unfortunately this casino does nothing special for birthdays. Very disappointing . The buffet was average at best and over priced.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alissa G
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Some friends and I went to Kansas City for a Chief's game and decided to stay here. It's really nice and I had a lot of fun at the casino. The dealers and staff were very friendly and I never felt dirty or out of place. It does smell smokey, but that's what happens when you stay i a hotel that permits smoking. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Hollister, Missouri
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Check in was simple and check in staff was efficient. But that's where it all went down hill.
This hotel offers a beautiful room, and incredible shower. The bedding was soft, but never completely tucked in, so we could always see the mattress.
The bed was very hard, and I had a lot of pain every morning. My husband and I stayed for 3 nights and both feel best up and exhausted!
Wifi is not free, in fact its quite expensive.
Being that I personally work within the hotel industry may make me more critical, however I know how things should be.

When a guest requests extra coffee with a note and a tip, give them the coffee! She took the tip attached to the note but ignored the request.

I won't be back to stay here, and would discourage my friends from staying here.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CindyC3046
Gladstone, MO
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed for our honeymoon. We arrived late and had a long walk to the front desk. My wife had to walk in her wedding dress. The room was very nice and have no complaints. We didn't stay long, we left as soon as we woke up in the morning.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Riverside
Harrah's North Kansas City
The Westin Crown Center
The Westin Crown Center
#11 of 109 in Kansas City
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,133 reviews

Been to Argosy Casino Hotel & Spa Kansas City? Share your experiences!