“Marriott Needs to Re-think Their Chains”

TownePlace Suites St. Louis St. Charles
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Saint Charles
Reviewed 24 November 2012

I too must follow the lead of some of the other reviewers and say that the staff here is top-notch and when we experienced a problem with a worn-out bed and dirty room, they were quick to accommodate us and move us to another room. We appreciate that and it helped immensely, but seriously when I stay at a Marriott (which is my number 1 choice), I expect clean. We had problems with dirt and grime around the dishwasher, dirt on the windows by the lock and a fiber glass bathtub with a crack in it. Obviously, someone a tad overweight had used that one. The carpets are in need of being cleaned, updated and/or replaced.

The Grab n Go Breakfast offered here is ok, but nothing to get too excited about. Serves the basic needs, but for the cost of the room, you should get a little more in this way.

If you have trouble sleeping and need a totally dark room, be aware of the smoke detector that is placed directly above the beds in some of the rooms. The little neon green indicator light shines directly down on your bed and if the rest of the room is dark, it is like a spotlight being projected directly down on your bed and face. Someone wasn't thinking when they installed these smoke detectors. However, a few extra pillows over your head will help the problem.

It's time to upgrade the TVs folks....modern technology has come a long way and I'm sure that Marriott can buy plenty in bulk.

With all of that being said, it wasn't absolutely horrible and certainly better than Super 8 or Days Inn. However, I think that I've stayed my last night at any Town Place Suites. I'm having better luck with the Fairfield Inn and of course my favorite, Residence Inn. This location will suffice the average traveler. I just expect a little bit more, especially from something with the Marriott name on it.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank texaswinesnob

Reviewed 24 October 2012

I want to start out by saying the front desk staff was wonderful. Unfamiliar with the area, they answered a lot of question for me. St. Charles is such a cute area. When I check into a hotel the most important thing I look for is a super clean bathroom and clean bedding, this hotel had both. There were some smaller cleaning details that were missed and because of that, it made us feel less comfortable in the room. The stove had food drips running down the front of it, there were a lot of food crumbs around the sides of the refrigerator, the glasses were so dirty, we were too grossed out to use them, and there were cobwebs around the room. The worst was there was one with tiny spiders in it hanging over our bed. Its just small things but it would have made a huge difference. Also, the walls in the hotel are paper thin. We drove all night and when I checked in, I wanted to rest for a while. All I could hear was the echoing of people going up and down the stairs, doors slamming, the people above us talking and the person next to us blowing their nose. It was hard to fall asleep in the afternoon. I would stay at this property again. It is a great location and a good price. I would just be sure to bring my own paper dishes and not need a nap.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Themcgrooveyz
Reviewed 17 October 2012 via mobile

Great prices and friendly and courteous staff! The two bedroom suite is a wonderful idea if you're traveling with children, especially teenage girls! Room was cleaned daily and fresh towels were left each time, which is a must while traveling with three children! Grab and go breakfast offered a variety of items! Will be staying again in the spring while we are in this area!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 27 September 2012

My best friend and I booked a 2 bedroom suite for our 3 night stay and tour of the Missouri River valley wineries. There have been a few complaints about the location and how difficult it is to find but we were sent very clear driving instructions once we made our reservation and had no trouble finding it. It is close to the interstate, making St. Charles historic district easily accessible, albeit a bit far. It was a quick 30 minute and very pretty drive to wine country. While the rooms were basic and no frills, they were comfortable and very clean. For the price, we thought it was a great place to come back to and unwind after a busy day. The only real complaint with the room was the lack of air conditioning or a fan in the smallest of the bedrooms. The beds and bedding are very nice.

The staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. The housekeeper even left us bath salts and lotion to use during our stay, with a note wishing us a fun weekend! The breakfast was pretty basic but with kitchens in each suite, I can't expect much more. Overall, I would recommend it for those looking for a little more room to spread out in.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I have no major complaints of this hotel other than you need to do your research before going there. as mentioned in other reviews, there are no visible signs leading you to the hotel. The best landmark is the Golden Coral and McDonalds on Zumbehl Road. The hotel was average and the staff displayed their mid-West Hospitality. They were very helpful in giving directions on where to shop.
Rooms are average. No Frills. I didn't try the breakfast,but, I think it was just cereal and fruit. No hot items.
I have stayed at Many Marriott properties and although I have no complaints, I would rather stay at a Residence Inn.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 August 2012

This no-frills hotel had a very friendly staff and each room had a kitchenette. It has a several restaurants nearby and is conveniently located near the Interstate 70. It has two separate buildings which are three stories each and both buildings have an elevator. The property is a bit old looking and I did meet a couple of long term residents. You can easily miss it as it is not visible from the street and you have to enter through the strip mall next door. Parking is free. It was a great value for the week I spent here in August 2012. However, there was major construction going on next door as a new business is being build between this hotel and the main road.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank HobieKat
Reviewed 14 August 2012 via mobile

First off, know that in addition to your room charge and various taxes there is an additional $50 at the time of check-in for any "damages that might be done, smoking, long distance calls, etc".There is no sign up at the desk informing you of this $50 charge and AAA was unaware of the charge as well. If you pay cash beware because not so sure that girl at front desk wouldn't pocket the cash. If you pay with a credit card then it takes 10 business days for the $50 to be credited to your card. The suites themselves are nice and spacious with the exception of the bathroom. The toilet and shower are so close together that you almost have to stick your feet in the tub to sit down on the toilet! The beds are comfortable with plenty of pillows. The parking lot is very tight spaces unless you are on the sides of the hotel. There is a golden corral within walking distance that was very good but be aware that if it's close to closing time they start taking the food up whether you are done eating or not. There is no clear sign nor directions from the road about where to turn in so getting to the hotel is a chore itself. Take the road to Golden Corral and the motel is behind it.

• Stayed: August 2012