“Call for directions!!”

TownePlace Suites St. Louis St. Charles
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Saint Charles
Reviewed 23 April 2013

First thing, call for directions to the facility! No signage that can be seen from any street. My GPS said “You have arrived at your destination” and I was in front of a restaurant and a grocery store no hotel in site. After driving around for 20 minutes and just taking driveways around where the GPS said it was, I finally found it. It was behind a restaurant, again no signage. The only reason I found it was because I had seen a picture of it on their website and matched the picture with the building. I am a platinum rewards member of Marriott and this was my first stay at this flavor of a Marriott family. Spring Hill Suites. Suites?? It did have a kitchen with cooktop, fridge, microwave and equipment to cook in but, it was all just one smaller then normal room. I would not call this a suite. Clean room, good heater/AC and friendly staff. Do not expect a nice hot breakfast. They roll out a little cart with cold cereal and pastries. I personally like a hot breakfast so I went to Bob Evans. It is located in a nice area but very hard to find.

Room Tip: Try to get an upgrade.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 January 2013

With one family member living in St. Louis, and another visiting in-laws in Perrysburg, MO, we decided on a post-Christmas gathering in St. Louis. The TownePlace had a 2-bedroom suite, perfect for out-of-town families, with a small kitchen, living area, dining table, small bedroom (that needs a second nightstand and reading lamp), a larger bedroom with room for the smallest visitor's Pack-and-Play crib provided by the hotel, and a generous well-designed bath (that could use a few more towel racks). This would be a great choice to share space for other family events like weddings (or funerals, alas) or reunions.

Warning: despite GPS, the TownePlace is *very* hard to find, not easily visible from the road, being located in the back corner of a mall (turn in at the Schnuck's sign, look far to your right).

The housekeeping was excellent, and the reception staff was great, providing the crib and recommending a restaurant in downtown St. Charles that we all enjoyed. We'll stay at the TownePlace when we visit again, in a small half-suite next time, and when the weather is better for strolling the quaint main street of St. Charles.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank mleonard6
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Stayed here for one night in October 2012. Having stayed at many Marriott properties around the world, and several times at TownePlace Suites in other areas, this property compared very unfavorably. It's old and needs renovation. Furnishings are tattered and torn. My friends and I rented two rooms; theirs was under a set of stairs and they were kept awake all night by the noise of people going up & down. In my room I could hear someone coughing all night. There are plenty of other places to stay in St. Charles, and I would never return to this property. Upside: front-desk staff was very nice & helpful. It seemed clean but hard to be sure because everything was so dingy.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 December 2012

Unfortunately, I left this hotel saying 'Live and learn'.

I stay at hotels quite often and decided to try a different hotel in the area. I usually stay with a Hilton brands, but decided to spice it up and go Marriott this time. Please note I'm writing this review with little to know experience at other Towneplace Suites.

I did think this would be a step up from the Fairfield, but I think its a step down.
The rooms seemed clean, but dated. The breakfast was available, but no place to sit... when they say "Grab and Go"... they emphasize the GO the part. The walls and stairs creaked something awful... don't get a room close to the stairs unless you want to know anytime someone is coming or going. The walls are also super thin. I could hear the TV in the room next to mine, but the person I was traveling with swore they was a goat in the room next door. It was an ongoing joke for the week we were there determine what time 'goatboy' would go to bed at night. The laundry room left something to be desired... I did a small load and had to dry it twice.

On the positive side, its cheap ($89//nt) and the staff was friendly. Needless to say, I won't be returning to this hotel. I'll likely go back to the Hampton Inn across the highway.

Room Tip: Don't stay near the stairs... they creak and you can hear anyone coming or going
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 December 2012

This was my second stay at this property. we only stayed one night on this past trip. It is hard to find this location using a gps since the hotel is hidden off the main road behind a plaza. I remember this from our last visit. The hotel is older but very clean and fresh. We didn't have any problems previously but this time had difficulty sleeping due to our neighbors. We could hear the tv blaring all night but couldn't tell for sure which direction the sound was coming from. This would prevent me from staying again unless we could be assured a corner room away from neighbors. (if that is possible) The breakfast was limited compared to other hotels in this chain. We had just stayed at same name brand the night before and had a real breakfast. The main lounge area is extremely small which explains why the breakfast is just grab and go. The staff was very kind and friendly. Sound proofing is our only complaint.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet area where noise from televisions should be minimal.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Stayed here recently. Decided to try another hotel from my normal route. This hotel was hard to find. It is also two buildings; not wild about that. I stayed in another TownPlace Suites in Overland Park, Kansas and expected this one to be as nice. It wasn't. Th fixtures and TV are dated. I also had a mechanical room near me that was noisy. Overall, not one of my new favorites. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to stay here again (as I did the first time).

Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 November 2012

I too must follow the lead of some of the other reviewers and say that the staff here is top-notch and when we experienced a problem with a worn-out bed and dirty room, they were quick to accommodate us and move us to another room. We appreciate that and it helped immensely, but seriously when I stay at a Marriott (which is my number 1 choice), I expect clean. We had problems with dirt and grime around the dishwasher, dirt on the windows by the lock and a fiber glass bathtub with a crack in it. Obviously, someone a tad overweight had used that one. The carpets are in need of being cleaned, updated and/or replaced.

The Grab n Go Breakfast offered here is ok, but nothing to get too excited about. Serves the basic needs, but for the cost of the room, you should get a little more in this way.

If you have trouble sleeping and need a totally dark room, be aware of the smoke detector that is placed directly above the beds in some of the rooms. The little neon green indicator light shines directly down on your bed and if the rest of the room is dark, it is like a spotlight being projected directly down on your bed and face. Someone wasn't thinking when they installed these smoke detectors. However, a few extra pillows over your head will help the problem.

It's time to upgrade the TVs folks....modern technology has come a long way and I'm sure that Marriott can buy plenty in bulk.

With all of that being said, it wasn't absolutely horrible and certainly better than Super 8 or Days Inn. However, I think that I've stayed my last night at any Town Place Suites. I'm having better luck with the Fairfield Inn and of course my favorite, Residence Inn. This location will suffice the average traveler. I just expect a little bit more, especially from something with the Marriott name on it.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple