“Not a value at $103 per night”

Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - St. Charles / St. Louis
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Saint Charles
McKinney, Texas
“Not a value at $103 per night”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Not sure where the value is in this hotel. Room 111 was the first room I was given on 7/20/2014 when i asked for a room on the upper level. Toilet seat was up but the bowl was covered with urine and public hair. Deal breaker but just for fun I pulled back the bed spread and there was hair in the sheets. Asked for another room and was given room 113 next door to the hotel maintenance washers and dryers and across from the fitness room. Urine on the toilet bowl AGAIN! I guess cleaning toilets doesn't include the bowl. Didn't have choice so had to stay but for $103.00 per night let me clue you in to this place. I read the reviews and thought I would take a chance since there were more good than bad. I guess they screen out the bad ones but I really couldn't say what happened here.
#1 urine on the toilet bowl in both rooms I was given
#2 mold in the shower
#3 mold on the shower curtain
#4 handicap rail in the shower was mounted above the faucets and was covered in mold. Couldn't close the curtain due to the rail in the way
#5 shower curtain did not close and curtain rod was falling out of the wall
#6 carpet was filthy. BRING SOCKS YOU CAN THROW AWAY because you don't want to walk barefoot on this carpet
#7 sheets were dingy and stained as was the bed cover
#8 mattress was too soft and had a huge dip in the center so I had to sleep on the edge of the bed
Just some other minor things, the HBO guide was from June, the microwave was ancient, the room smelled of mold, the light bulbs took forever to fully illuminate. When I come back to St. Charles County Missouri I will most assuredly NOT STAY HERE. I'm a regular traveler on a budget and this place was awful

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lee A S
Py P, Guest Relations Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - St. Charles / St. Louis, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and taking time out of your busy schedule for this review. We strive to exceed all of our guest's expectations and we will use your comments to help us improve. I am extremely sorry to hear about all the issues you mentioned I am not familiar with any of these. We have someone on staff 24/7 to try to resolve whatever issues you may have had, but I am not seeing any records of that. But I humbly apologize and we hope you will give us additional opportunities to serve you in the future.

Py, Management Staff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Lee's Summit, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

Given the choice between poor and average I had to give them a poor overall rating because they weren't average. I would not consider our stay "poor" but it was well below average and we won't be staying again.

They didn't completely miss the target, there were some pluses, but they did not outweigh the minuses.

Pluses:
Location - Short drive to historic St Charles. Plenty of retail and eats within walking distance. Right off I70.
Beds were comfortable.
Rooms reasonably clean.
Service is good.
It's half the price of the Ameristar.

Minuses:
Pool was dirty and half the lights were out which made it tough to see the dirty pool until you were in it - thankfully a shower was nearby.
While they have a full hot breakfast, the food is not very good. Day (or more) old bagels - microwaved scrambled eggs & sausages - biscuit in the biscuit and gravy was more like a hockey puck. We stayed two nights and passed on breakfast morning #2.
Facility maintenance - upon arrival our door was very difficult to close and impossible to deadbolt. The 2nd shift front desk person was able to remedy. Our bathtub faucet also leaked (not dripped - leaked). Fortunately we were able to close the door and it did not disturb us.

The biggest complaint I have is related to my booking process. Generally when I book online I ignore the "number of people" in the room option and just book. Turns out they charge $10 a piece for persons #3 and #4 per night. I suspect that's to help offset the cost of the "free" (and inedible) breakfast. There's no other reason to pop me for an extra fee - there's 2 queen beds, what do you care how many people are in the room. We're a family of 4, not a bunch of drunken frat boys. By the way, next time you charge for extra people tell housekeeping top put 4 towels in the room. I ended up sharing one with my wife.

Next time I'll book earlier and stay at the Country Inn & Suites - with your added $20/night to the room for my kids it's the same price.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Dave T
Dear Dave T,

Thank you for staying with us. We strive to exceed all of our guest's expectations and we will use your comments to help us improve. I am extremely sorry for the inconvenience and we hope you will give us additional opportunities to serve you in the future.

Py, Management Staf
Washington, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Good value, clean, bedding comfortable. Had to reset TV cable and then it worked, even if I never did find HBO. Light above sink not very bright for make-up use. Towels more adequate than most. Breakfast okay,not great. Really, no hot sauce? If you can get packets of ketchup, you can get packets of hot sauce. Pool was nice. Staff courteous. 10% discount for steakhouse next door was a nice perk. Would stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear jsd2222,

We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay at the Americas Best Value Inn & Suites in St Charles. We appreciate your kind words about our hotel and thank you for helping us spread the word about us to other travelers and I'm extremely sorry you weren't able to find HBO, we do offer it along with ESPN.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Cable was not working. Internet was unstable. sheets were smelly and dusty. room floors had stains. Common hallways had moldy smell. No hot water in one of the rooms. Front desk was friendly and helpful though.

Room Tip: Cable wasn't working. Internet was unstable. sheets were smelly and dusty. No hot water in one o...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelReadyZone
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to provide us feedback. I sincerely apologize about the inconvenience you had at our property but rest assured the issue in that room has been taken care of. We would love for you to give us another chance when you are in the St. Charles area so we can provide the excellent service that we pride ourselves on. Thank you once again.

Belton, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Easy check in. Room was very hot and took a long time for AC too cool it down. Web site indicates 32 inch flat screen but that was no the case. It was old style and not easy to see. Breakfast was standard free breakfast food. Easy access to I-70.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Richard P
Py P, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - St. Charles / St. Louis, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Richard,

Thank you for staying with us. We strive to exceed all of our guest's expectations and we will use your comments to help us improve. We will look into the TV issue you mentioned and the AC not being on already. We hope you will give us additional opportunities to serve you in the future.

Belton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a non-smoking room, but was in a hallway with other smoking rooms so the smell was still pretty strong. The room itself was decent size. The beds a little hard, but not unbearable. Location is good/felt safe. Very close to downtown and not too far from St. Louis attractions. Breakfast is okay. Had to keep logging in for wi-fi everytime I re-entered the room. Based on location and nothing terribly wrong I would try it again.

• Stayed June 2014
Py P, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - St. Charles / St. Louis, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us. We strive to exceed all of our guest's expectations and we will use your comments to help us improve. We hope you will give us additional opportunities to serve you in the future.

Springfield, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying that I am not a negative person, and actually can put up with a lot! I have stayed in some horrible motels just for the bargain, however, you want what you paid for.

We came to St Charles for an event at Ameristar and stayed for 1 night. The check in process was uncomfortable with no acknowledgement or greeting, just very transactional, like we were a burden. Ok, that's fine, moving on...

When we finally get to our room, it was a nightmare!! The bed was undone and unmade. (Obviously someone had been sleeping there!!) The tv was still on. There was food and beverages in the fridge. There was some sort of fluid (I hope not bodily) running down the mirror. My first instinct was that someone was already in this room!!! I called the front desk and asked. I only got put on hold while they checked. They said no one was there and the room cleaning was marked as completed. (Room 209) I just kept being asked what I wanted to have done. Finally starting to get angry, I said to just give us a different room. I was advised there were no rooms available and they were totally sold out. I asked if we could just cancel the reservation with no fee and just go to another hotel. Again, this was not an option. This room was completely disgusting and unacceptable!! The 2 gentlemen came up to clean the room. When they entered, the manager just said "What's the problem"... again, no empathy or assertiveness to fix the situation. I had to explain why I did not want to sleep on used linens and be in a room with trash and food left over from the last guests. They began to strip the beds at that point. The manager returned and said they had a cancellation and we could move rooms...FINALLY. At this point, we are running behind on time for our schedule.

On to the new room... Walk in (Room 204) just to have wires hanging out of the ceiling where a smoke detector should be. (Which of course is a HUGE Missouri safety violation, making this room illegal to rent out) We had to get ready at this point and leave. We had a great evening away from this hotel. When we returned, we realized there was no tv remote. We called the front desk to see if we could get one, as the tv has no buttons to control it otherwise. We were told he would see if he could find one that works. The night person came up with a remote and attempted to get it to work. He was able to power on the tv with the remote, but not able to change channels or adjust volume. After trying, he said it wasn't going to work, and didn't think he had another one. That was the end of that and he left. Now we realize the tv is still on, and can not turn it off due to the lack of buttons!!!! Our solution, we had to cover the tv with bed covers just to block it out. I was way too mentally exhausted by this motel to even call the desk again to have him come back to turn it off.

Now,this is the jist of things,but there are also more examples!! I am just tired of going on and on. I would be here all night! I do have pictures of all of these examples that I will post as well. I would like a refund of our expenses as this experience was totally out of line!!!! Not to mention being put in a code violation room!

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Justin V
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us. We strive to exceed all of our guest's expectations and we will use your comments to help us improve. I apologize for the inconvenience and we hope you will give us additional opportunities to serve you in the future.

Py, Management Staf