“Hall Street Shines again!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Joseph
Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Saint Joseph B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Saint Joseph, Missouri, United States
“Hall Street Shines again!”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

What a joy to add the Shakespeare Chateau to the list of excellent venues for tourism in St. Joe! Isobel McGowan is doing an impeccable restoration and her standard of excellence is not just with preservation. Having dined there numerous times and toured the mansion, I can recommend this B&B to anyone visiting St Joe. It is also great for dinner events and parties. If you are looking for stunning ambiance, fine dining and a first rate historic account of one of St Josephs finest grand mansions be sure to call there. You will also be steered to other architectural gems, local events or tourist attractions. Thanks Isobel for promoting St Joseph so well!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
It is truly a privilege and a pleasure to work and live in this grand mansion, and to be part of the phenomenal renaissance that is happening all around Saint Joseph! The Hall Street Historic District is an American treasure of architecture and period interiors, and I'm proud that the house built for Nathan and Elmarine Ogden in 1885 is now open for overnight guests, events, and tours. Thank you, Jo, for your kind words.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed 29 October 2013

By chance we were able to get a room at this lovely bed and breakfast when we made a last-minute trip to Saint Joseph, Missouri. We instantly fell in love with the Shakespeare Chateau and its owner, Isobel. We stayed in the Romeo and Juliet suite which featured a jetted tub, in addition to beautiful stained glass windows and a fireplace with original hand-painted Romeo and Juliet tiles. Even though the mansion was filled with priceless antiques and beautifully renovated period pieces, Isobel welcomed our young daughter and made us feel at home. Before bed, Isobel allowed our daughter to get a picture taken on one of the two gorgeous hand-carved dragons that adorned the stairway railing. In the morning we awoke to the wonderful smell of coffee and a hot breakfast. Overall our stay was enchanting and we will definitely be back to visit again soon. The Shakespeare Chateau Bed and Breakfast is a must when visiting Saint Joseph, Missouri.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Thank you for visiting, and for bringing your daughter to experience the Chateau. The future of our historic architecture will be determined by those who are children today - I'm so happy to show young people the beauty and the craftsmanship throughout this home. Please come back to visit soon!
Lee's Summit, Missouri
Reviewed 27 October 2013

The Chateau is absolutely beautiful, the tile, the wall paper, the woodwork, the food - all perfect. However, the best feature is the owner/innkeeper-Isobel. She has done the vast majority of the renovation and study of the history of St. Joe. Her information and enthusiasm is contagious. One of the few places I will definitely return to.

Room Tip: Any of the 3 currently renovated spaces appear to be perfect. We enjoyed the Romeo & Juliet sui...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Russell F
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and for taking time to post a TripAdvisor review. My guests tell me over and over that they heard about me on TripAdvisor, and that reviews like yours helped them decide to stay. I'm most pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and hope to host you again in the near future!
Glenn Heights, Texas, United States
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My mothers wish for her birthday was to return to St. Joseph and have a party with family and friends. I have 4 siblings who live all across the U.S. and I didn't know exactly how I would pull this off. My mother had learned about the Shakespeare Chateau and had suggested this might be the perfect place for the party. She was right, I called the Chateau and was met with a very pleasant owner "Isabel" who was more then accommodating to work with me in making my mothers birthday one that she will never forget. We ended up with 23 for a Sunday afternoon luncheon which also included a tour of the mansion. The food was delicious, the mansion was beautiful and 3 weeks later my parents are still talking about the trip. Since leaving I have planned 100 different parties in my head, the only problem is that I don't live even close, but if I did, trust me all of my parties would be at the Chateau. The history of the mansion is intriguing and one can only imagine the elegant parties that have occurred there over the years. Preserving our past is very important and Isabel has done a wonderful job in restoring the mansion and bringing life back to it. I wish her many years of success and hope that many others will have the same experience that my family and I shared with in St. Joe for my mothers birthday. Thank you for making my mothers birthday so special. Tammy Thuman Garr

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
What a treat to host this birthday party here at the Shakespeare Chateau! Just as Tammy said, people came from all over the US to visit and join the fun! I love to share this mansion and everything that St. Joseph has to offer with out-of-town visitors. Thanks, Tammy, for giving me the opportunity to meet your family!
Columbia, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 25 October 2013

When viewing B&B's on websites, one is hoping the home is as picturesque as shown.
It is! The mansion is in restoration process with the supervision and care of its devoted owner Isobel. Put this home on your must stop and stay there list. The room was spacious and well decorated with furnishings reflecting the Shakespeare era.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
The Shakespeare Chateau B&B is truly an unforgettable experience. We offer luxury overnight accommodations, event hosting including weddings and business meetings, and tours of the home by appointment. Thanks for staying, Elizabeth, and for posting your review. I hope you'll return soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 22 October 2013

When I visit my granddaughter in Kansas, I like to take her away on week-ends and stay in B&B's
The Shakespeare Chateau is marvelous. So many beautiful details.The owner gave us a tour and made us aware of the many treasures in the home. Our room was spacious and
lovely. St Joseph has many fine mansions from the late 1800s to the early 1900s. All kinds of archetecture'
I took advantage of the 40% off room rate because I made the res within 24 hrs of arrival.
good deal!
Highly recommend

Room Tip: we stayed in the 12thNight room which has a fantastic shower. we saw the Romeo & Juliet room...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
My guests span a wide range in every category: geographic origin, profession, interests and hobbies, and of course, age. I find it so delightfully rewarding when young people visit the Shakespeare Chateau. These are the people who will grow up to love and respect our historic architecture. Thank you, Anda, for bringing your granddaughter!
Chesterfield, Virginia
Reviewed 19 October 2013

My sister and I visited St. Joseph in late August to see our family. We were totally thrilled with our visit and stay at Shakespeare Chateau. There is no way to accurately describe the beauty of that old mansion. Every room had its own special character and charming surprises. Isobel is to be commended for taking such great care of us and that spectacular house. We grew up in St. Joseph, but never knew anything about this extraordinary residence that has been lovingly cared for so that others can enjoy entering a world that we can now only read about. For anyone who loves old houses and wishes to experience another time, if only for a few evenings, a stay at Shakespeare Chateau must not be missed. The stained glass windows are stunning.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have their own charming personality.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CLH700
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you for posting your review. I'm always delighted to host folks from St. Joseph who are not familiar with the Hall Street Historic District. The mansions along this street are truly national treasures, and I'm happy to say, they are being better cared for these days! A renaissance is happening right now, and I invite everyone to come up and check it out!