“Wonderful Stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Joseph
Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Saint Joseph B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Maryville, Missouri
“Wonderful Stay”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My husband wasn't to keen on staying at a bed and breakfast but now he is telling people about Shakespeare Chateau for a getaway.When we arrived Isobel was there to greet us and give us a tour. The pride and work she has put into restoring the mansion is amazing.We stayed two nights. The first night it was just my husband and I, very nice romantic atmosphere. The second night our 9yr old daughter joined us.She had a great time exploring and is still talking about the stories Isobel told her about the mansion. From the delicious breakfast to the beautiful rooms and gracious host we truly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
I always enjoy showing children around the Shakespeare Chateau, and they always respond so well to the fabulous architecture and interior. Through stories and answers to questions, I hope to engage more young people to learn about the history of this mansion, of the historic Hall Street District, and of Saint Joseph. The future of our historic heritage is in their hands.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Morro Bay, California
Reviewed 27 November 2013

From the grand house to the lovely hostess our stay was a pleasure. Beds were great and decor sumptuous. Fun interaction with hostess and guests created a festive air. We will go again if anywhere close to the area. Also loved the history of the house as well as the town of St. Joseph.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
My mission here at the Shakespeare Chateau is to re-introduce this fabulous mansion home to the public. Although it was closed for over a decade, I'm thrilled to have successfully re-opened this jewel as a luxury bed-and-breakfast, event venue, wedding mansion, and tour home. Check our website for specials and offers, then give me a call to make your reservation!
Dayton
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The workmanship in this place defies the imagination. The woodwork, done in the 1800's is something to behold. If you get an opportunity dont skip the Shakespeare Chateau, probably the best built home I have ever been in. The service was excellent.

Room Tip: Get the Romeo and Juliet room..
1 Thank Loyal B
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
The Shakespeare Chateau is, indeed, one of the finest mansions standing - a true American treasure! I am proud to have the opportunity to be custodian of this house, and to give people a chance to visit. Thank you for staying with us!
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed at the Shakespeare Chateau in October 2013. We really enjoyed our stay. Usually my wife is more interested in bed and breakfast places than me. But, this place was great. I have been recommending it to my friends and would like to visit again myself. Every detail of the experience was perfect. The owner is providing a wonderful service by sharing her mansion, history, and food.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
I am so pleased to hear from guests like Bill, guests who are pleasantly surprised with their visit to the Shakespeare Chateau. We offer exceptional service and comfort to our overnight guests, as well as superb event hosting for weddings, dinners, company parties, business meetings, baby or wedding showers, and more. Call me today to book your weekend away or celebratory gathering!
Aurora, Nebraska
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Great B&B in St. Joe! Isobel makes you feel at home in this unique setting. Each themed room makes for a great stay. Breakfast has always been delicious. The restoration of the mansion has been a labor of love.

Room Tip: All rooms are unique in their own way
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I'm so happy to hear from my guests, especially when they are as excited and enthusiastic as these folks are. The fabulous "Euro Spa" shower in the Twelfth Night room is absolutely one of the favorite amenities here at the Shakespeare Chateau. Delicious home-made breakfasts and personal attention to our guests' comfort keep our business thriving. Thanks for visiting - see you again soon!
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were guests from 11/1 - 11/4 and stayed in the Twelfth night suite. Upon arrival we were greeted by Isobel, the inn keeper/ owner. Isobel shared the history of the mansion with us and gave us a tour. What an amazing home that is now an awesome B & B. The Chateua has been painstakingly and lovingly restored. The restoration continues as Isobel puts her heart into the Shakespeare Chateua. In a league of its own, pass on the hotel chain stay and experience a bounty of history at this amazing B & B. We experienced a wonderful continental breakfast 2 days and purchased a full breakfast 2 days of our stay. Breakfast was fabulous, the full breakfast allowed us to have a light lunch or none at all. Dinner options in St. Joseph are endless. Isobel gave us some dining suggestions and discount cards for local restaurants. The craftsmanship and quality of the home are evident by the year built. The suite was beautiful. The bed and linens were fabulous. The shower was awesome with great pressure and HOT water. Thank You Isobel for opening your home as a B & B, restoring & preserving history, sharing your heart and passion with guests and visitors. We'll return for another stay when in St. Joseph again. Have a Happy thanksgiving!

• Stayed November 2013
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
As my first season of being open draws to a close, I'm gratified to know that my 600+ guests have enjoyed a pleasant and memorable visit to the Shakespeare Chateau and to St. Joseph. I've made many new friends, and look forward with eager anticipation to seeing many of you again. My work here continues unabated, and with a bit of good fortune, I'll soon have my fourth guest room open. Thanks to all who have posted reviews on TripAdvisor, and who have referred their family and friends to me!
Saint Joseph, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 6 November 2013

What a joy to add the Shakespeare Chateau to the list of excellent venues for tourism in St. Joe! Isobel McGowan is doing an impeccable restoration and her standard of excellence is not just with preservation. Having dined there numerous times and toured the mansion, I can recommend this B&B to anyone visiting St Joe. It is also great for dinner events and parties. If you are looking for stunning ambiance, fine dining and a first rate historic account of one of St Josephs finest grand mansions be sure to call there. You will also be steered to other architectural gems, local events or tourist attractions. Thanks Isobel for promoting St Joseph so well!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
It is truly a privilege and a pleasure to work and live in this grand mansion, and to be part of the phenomenal renaissance that is happening all around Saint Joseph! The Hall Street Historic District is an American treasure of architecture and period interiors, and I'm proud that the house built for Nathan and Elmarine Ogden in 1885 is now open for overnight guests, events, and tours. Thank you, Jo, for your kind words.