“Hidden Gem of St. Joe”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Joseph
Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Saint Joseph B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Omaha, Nebraska
“Hidden Gem of St. Joe”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Shakespeare Chateau on a Friday evening in December. I don't know how we stumbled upon this lovely bed and breakfast, but I am so happy we did. We stayed in the Romeo & Juliet room and from the moment we arrived we knew we were somewhere very special. The owner of the property (Isobel) was incredibly welcoming and made us feel right at home. She gave us a tour and took her time explaining the rich history of the house and went into detail about the many renovations she has done to preserve the home. From her recommendations of places to go in St. Joe to her delicious breakfast made especially for us, we enjoyed every moment of our stay. I especially appreciated that she asked us about dietary restrictions when we arrived -- we are vegetarians and thought it was very thoughtful of her to accommodate us. You can tell she has a passion for this house and for making sure her guests are treated like family. Thanks again, and we hope to be able to visit again in the future!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
I'm so happy you found me, and that you enjoyed your stay at the Shakespeare Chateau. I love recommending the other businesses in Saint Joseph - The Bad Art Bistro, Piatto 614, Mod Podge, The Lucky Tiger, The Gothic House, The J.C.Wyatt House, and more - and am so pleased that you had a good time here in our town. Thank you for posting your review - my guests tell me again and again that they "found me on TripAdvisor" and reviews like yours help me get the word out. I hope you'll come back and stay with me again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We were only in town for one night and I wish we could have extended our stay. The Romeo and Juliet room was beautiful and comfortable. I have stayed at many bed and breakfasts over the years and Shakespeare Chateau by far exceeded my expectations. Isabelle was a wonderful hostess...very knowledgeable about the history of the house and area and eager to provide whatever we needed while we were there. We look forward to an opportunity to stay at the Chateau again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Travelers like yourselves from around the MidWest - Omaha, Des Moines, Topeka, Kansas City, and more - find the Shakespeare Chateau to be a beautiful and relaxing opportunity to take some time away. I'm always delighted to meet people who have never been to Saint Joseph before, and have the chance to introduce this wonderful town. I hope you'll come back to stay again soon!
Maryville, Missouri
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My husband wasn't to keen on staying at a bed and breakfast but now he is telling people about Shakespeare Chateau for a getaway.When we arrived Isobel was there to greet us and give us a tour. The pride and work she has put into restoring the mansion is amazing.We stayed two nights. The first night it was just my husband and I, very nice romantic atmosphere. The second night our 9yr old daughter joined us.She had a great time exploring and is still talking about the stories Isobel told her about the mansion. From the delicious breakfast to the beautiful rooms and gracious host we truly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
I always enjoy showing children around the Shakespeare Chateau, and they always respond so well to the fabulous architecture and interior. Through stories and answers to questions, I hope to engage more young people to learn about the history of this mansion, of the historic Hall Street District, and of Saint Joseph. The future of our historic heritage is in their hands.
Morro Bay, California
Reviewed 27 November 2013

From the grand house to the lovely hostess our stay was a pleasure. Beds were great and decor sumptuous. Fun interaction with hostess and guests created a festive air. We will go again if anywhere close to the area. Also loved the history of the house as well as the town of St. Joseph.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
My mission here at the Shakespeare Chateau is to re-introduce this fabulous mansion home to the public. Although it was closed for over a decade, I'm thrilled to have successfully re-opened this jewel as a luxury bed-and-breakfast, event venue, wedding mansion, and tour home. Check our website for specials and offers, then give me a call to make your reservation!
Dayton
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The workmanship in this place defies the imagination. The woodwork, done in the 1800's is something to behold. If you get an opportunity dont skip the Shakespeare Chateau, probably the best built home I have ever been in. The service was excellent.

Room Tip: Get the Romeo and Juliet room..
1 Thank Loyal B
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
The Shakespeare Chateau is, indeed, one of the finest mansions standing - a true American treasure! I am proud to have the opportunity to be custodian of this house, and to give people a chance to visit. Thank you for staying with us!
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed at the Shakespeare Chateau in October 2013. We really enjoyed our stay. Usually my wife is more interested in bed and breakfast places than me. But, this place was great. I have been recommending it to my friends and would like to visit again myself. Every detail of the experience was perfect. The owner is providing a wonderful service by sharing her mansion, history, and food.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
I am so pleased to hear from guests like Bill, guests who are pleasantly surprised with their visit to the Shakespeare Chateau. We offer exceptional service and comfort to our overnight guests, as well as superb event hosting for weddings, dinners, company parties, business meetings, baby or wedding showers, and more. Call me today to book your weekend away or celebratory gathering!
Aurora, Nebraska
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Great B&B in St. Joe! Isobel makes you feel at home in this unique setting. Each themed room makes for a great stay. Breakfast has always been delicious. The restoration of the mansion has been a labor of love.

Room Tip: All rooms are unique in their own way
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I'm so happy to hear from my guests, especially when they are as excited and enthusiastic as these folks are. The fabulous "Euro Spa" shower in the Twelfth Night room is absolutely one of the favorite amenities here at the Shakespeare Chateau. Delicious home-made breakfasts and personal attention to our guests' comfort keep our business thriving. Thanks for visiting - see you again soon!