“Worth the Visit”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Joseph
Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Saint Joseph B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lanesboro, Minnesota
“Worth the Visit”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

As B&B operators ourselves, we always enjoy having a chance to visit other B&Bs. We were in St. Joseph by accident, having to stop driving due to weather. The next morning we opted to explore the town, and we saw that the Shakespeare Chateau offered tours. We called, and Isobel graciously encouraged us to stop by. What a place! Opulence and history emanates from every corner! Isobel is well on her way to restoring the home after a period of neglect, and you have a rare opportunity stay in a magnificent home as well as see a “behind-the-scenes” look at the impressiveness of the rooms. It is well worth a visit, and we wish Isobel ongoing success in her operation.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Thanks for taking time to stop at the Shakespeare Chateau while you were visiting in Saint Joseph. I'm always delighted to meet other Innkeepers and "trade notes" about the business. Best of everything in 2014!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 29 December 2013

A historical home that has been transformed back to the beauty it originally had over 100 years ago. We spent a night in the Twelfth Night Suite and it was wonderful; the ambiance, the details that are in every corner show all the work Isobel has done to bring this place back to its original splendor.

Make sure to take the time and have Isobel give you a tour of the house... there is so much history.

And of course, breakfast was delicious.

It is definitely a place that we will visit again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
I'm always pleased to tell my guests about the history of the Shakespeare Chateau, of the Hall Street Historic District, and of Saint Joseph. This lovely home, built in 1885 by Col. Nathan Ogden and his wife, Elmarine Pence Ogden, is one of the finest mansions in the midwest, and retains so many of the original features. I am so happy to be able to live and work here, and to restore this American treasure to be a destination for travelers and a venue for memorable events. Thank you for visiting!
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Christmas night at Shakespeare Chateau was magical. After all the hustle and bustle of the day, it was fantastic to relax in this beautiful historic mansion. I stayed in the Twelfth Night Suite - warm colors, gorgeous period furnishings and artwork, plus a comfy bed. I felt right at home immediately. Isobel was great about sharing her knowledge and passion for historic preservation and this jewel of a home. It's full of stained glass, cherrywood paneling, brass fittings, and history. I hope this was the first of what will become a. Christmas tradition.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Thank you for visiting on Christmas night. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and would be delighted to host you and your sister again next year. Please come by whenever you're in town to say 'hello!' Happy New Year!
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

I could tell by just looking through the parlor window as we came up the driveway that this house would be special. We were warmly greeted on our arrival, by Isabelle, who obviously loves her job. She gave us a brief history of the Chateau beginning in the beautiful foyer which was paneled in cherry, with intricately carved wood work.

Each room was charming in its Victorian decor, and themed (ours was Twelfth Night -- the shower was fabulous and the bed was plush, but firm). Original stained glass windows (over 40 in all) graced each room of the house.

A fully equipped kitchen enabled us to continue our journey after a delicious breakfast. The proprietress graciously accommodated dietary restrictions.

Shakespeare Chateau was an attraction to lure us off our usual I-70 or I-80 route to Colorado. It looks like a tradition has been started! The Chateau's high ratings are well deserved.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
I was delighted to meet Barry and his wife on their journey to Colorado, and to offer them mid-trip accommodations and a recommendation to eat at one of my favorite local eateries, The Bad Art Bistro. I'm so happy to hear that the stay at the Shakespeare Chateau was enjoyable from start to finish. I look forward to hosting you (maybe in the Romeo & Juliet Suite next time?) on a return visit.
Reviewed 15 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Shakespeare Chateau on a Friday evening in December. I don't know how we stumbled upon this lovely bed and breakfast, but I am so happy we did. We stayed in the Romeo & Juliet room and from the moment we arrived we knew we were somewhere very special. The owner of the property (Isobel) was incredibly welcoming and made us feel right at home. She gave us a tour and took her time explaining the rich history of the house and went into detail about the many renovations she has done to preserve the home. From her recommendations of places to go in St. Joe to her delicious breakfast made especially for us, we enjoyed every moment of our stay. I especially appreciated that she asked us about dietary restrictions when we arrived -- we are vegetarians and thought it was very thoughtful of her to accommodate us. You can tell she has a passion for this house and for making sure her guests are treated like family. Thanks again, and we hope to be able to visit again in the future!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
I'm so happy you found me, and that you enjoyed your stay at the Shakespeare Chateau. I love recommending the other businesses in Saint Joseph - The Bad Art Bistro, Piatto 614, Mod Podge, The Lucky Tiger, The Gothic House, The J.C.Wyatt House, and more - and am so pleased that you had a good time here in our town. Thank you for posting your review - my guests tell me again and again that they "found me on TripAdvisor" and reviews like yours help me get the word out. I hope you'll come back and stay with me again soon!
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We were only in town for one night and I wish we could have extended our stay. The Romeo and Juliet room was beautiful and comfortable. I have stayed at many bed and breakfasts over the years and Shakespeare Chateau by far exceeded my expectations. Isabelle was a wonderful hostess...very knowledgeable about the history of the house and area and eager to provide whatever we needed while we were there. We look forward to an opportunity to stay at the Chateau again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Travelers like yourselves from around the MidWest - Omaha, Des Moines, Topeka, Kansas City, and more - find the Shakespeare Chateau to be a beautiful and relaxing opportunity to take some time away. I'm always delighted to meet people who have never been to Saint Joseph before, and have the chance to introduce this wonderful town. I hope you'll come back to stay again soon!
Maryville, Missouri
Reviewed 3 December 2013

My husband wasn't to keen on staying at a bed and breakfast but now he is telling people about Shakespeare Chateau for a getaway.When we arrived Isobel was there to greet us and give us a tour. The pride and work she has put into restoring the mansion is amazing.We stayed two nights. The first night it was just my husband and I, very nice romantic atmosphere. The second night our 9yr old daughter joined us.She had a great time exploring and is still talking about the stories Isobel told her about the mansion. From the delicious breakfast to the beautiful rooms and gracious host we truly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
I always enjoy showing children around the Shakespeare Chateau, and they always respond so well to the fabulous architecture and interior. Through stories and answers to questions, I hope to engage more young people to learn about the history of this mansion, of the historic Hall Street District, and of Saint Joseph. The future of our historic heritage is in their hands.