“Opulent”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Joseph
Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Saint Joseph B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Saint Joseph, Missouri
“Opulent”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The Shakespeare Chateau Inn Bed and Breakfast is a stunning example of the gilded era of Victorian architecture and artistry. It is rear to see such an intact mansion.

The owner is lovingly restoring the home to its original opulence. The home is paired well with its gracious host. The rooms are comfortable and the home, though regal, still feels comfortable.

The breakfast are of the finest quality made with the freshest quality ingredients and server hot and on time.

If your so lucky, I would highly recommend dinning on the front porch overlooking the finest homes of the 1800's "prince's of merchant row."

The home and it's host provide a fabulous and welcome experience.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank DandyGent83
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
It's wonderful to hear from my guests who enjoyed their stay here at the Shakespeare Chateau. I hear from folks all the time that they read my reviews, and appreciate that others have taken the time to comment on Trip Advisor. Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope you'll be back to visit again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Livermore, California
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We recently spent our second visit at the Chateau - a week of luxury! Each morning the birds serenaded us as we had our coffee on the front porch. The exceptionally quiet neighborhood allowed us to imagine an earlier time.

The attention to detail that Isobel has seen to in the restoration and care of the beautiful mansion and the attention to detail in the comfort of her guests were second to none. For one lovely week, we were "family" and we will stay no other place when we visit every year.

A stay in St. Joseph exposes the visitor to a wide variety of architecturally interesting buildings and homes. This is the best!

Room Tip: Each room has something special. Choice depends upon the chooser's taste.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
I was delighted to greet Don and his wife back to the Chateau for their week-long stay! They enjoyed staying in my newest room, "As You Like It," and invited friends to join them for wine and cheese on the porch. I'm looking forward to their next visit!
country club Missouri
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

We had our wedding/reception at the Shakespeare Chateau Bed and Breakfast. We had a great time. It was a beautiful day. The food/service was great. We stayed in the Romeo and Juliet room which was very nice. The next morning we had our breakfast and coffee on the porch. It was all around a great weekend. Thank you Isobel!

• Stayed May 2014
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Your weddings here at the Shakespeare Chateau was a huge success! I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, the food, and that your guests had a great time, too! Your bridal photos are sure to be spectacular, set against the lovely parlors and porches. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to help make your day extra-special!
Saint Joseph, Missouri
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I held Easter brunch here last month because we were having a large amount of family in from out of town and I didn't want to cook. Isobel was great! She prepared an excellent menu, mimosa bar and ambiance. Everyone in my family is still talking about what a memorable experience we had! I will definitely be hosting events here in the future at this superb B&B!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Hosting Easter brunch for this family group was a pleasure! Everyone enjoyed the food and the ambiance here at 809 Hall Street. We love to host weddings, family dinners and luncheons, baby showers, graduation parties - you name it! Call me anytime to plan your event!
Lincoln, NE
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I recently moved into the neighborhood of the Shakespeare B & B, and was walking by snapping photos, when Isobel introduced herself, and asked if I would like a tour. Having owned and operated a B & B myself and being a life-long lover of old houses, I was blown away. The 19th century craftsmanship in this house (no less than 47 stained glass windows) is something I haven't seen anywhere other than the Newport mansions. Guests should consider it an honor to stay in a place like this, and Isobel has made it feel homey rather than like a museum, which it could be.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
It is so exciting to greet newcomers like my newest neighbor here on Hall Street, people who have discovered the rich history and fabulous architecture here in Saint Joseph! This town is one of America's best-kept secrets for beautiful homes at unbelievably low prices!
Merriam, Kansas
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This is the kind of place that anyone that appreciates older homes would be fascinated to visit. My wife had been there before, and from her descriptions, I had to see it for myself. Having spent the past 25 years in and care-taking an older home, I was quite interested to see what Isabel had been able to do with it. Not only is she the owner and gracious inn-keeper, she has also done much of the on-going restoration work herself! Truly and obviously a labor of love. The woodwork. The stained glass. The carved wood dragons flanking the grand staircase are simply marvelous! I think we should have spent a week there, rather than an overnight. We will return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
The Shakespeare Chateau is a fabulous mansion, and one that tells an important story from American history. I am proud and privileged to have the opportunity to work and live in this fantastic place, and to make it available to guests.
Iowa Falls, Ia
Reviewed 29 April 2014

From the moment we step into the Shakespeare Chateau we were amazed with the rich history of the Inn and Isobel the innkeepers tour of the this Inn. It is so well kept both inside and outside. The breakfast in the morning was delightful too. We would stay at the Inn again for sure!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
The Shakespeare Chateau is a very special place, and I'm so happy that you had a chance to visit and spend an enjoyable stay. Please stop and see me the next time you're in Saint Joseph!