“Anniversary 33”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint Joseph
Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 Saint Joseph B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bourbon, Missouri
“Anniversary 33”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Had a great time! Isabel was very nice and helpful with suggestions on things to do and or see. Also great advise on dining. The Romeo and Juliet room was beautiful and clean. The house (or I might say mansion) itself is architecturally outstanding! I highly recommend a stay at the Shakespeare Inn Bed & Breakfast in St. Joe, Mo. The town is very interesting as well...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Honeymoon nights and anniversaries are two very popular occasions when people choose the Shakespeare Chateau for an overnight or weekend stay. Treat yourself to a little luxury soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Topeka, KS
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This Victorian mansion was built to impress and continues to today. The inn keeper Isobel was very friendly and gave us a great personal tour of the mansion. It's easy to see she cares about preserving the historical nature of this home. Rooms were clean, the restaurant recommended was great, and we had a great time. I will be visiting the Shakespeare Chateau again and buying a gift certificate for family to visit. Thanks Isobel!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks for staying with me recently, and for posting your review on TripAdvisor. I'm so happy to be restoring this fabulous mansion here in Saint Joseph, Missouri, and to have the opportunity to spread the word about the rich history of this town. I'm looking forward to seeing you again in the near future!
Elm Grove, Wisconsin
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I went to St. Joseph to visit my old friend Greg who moved there then years ago. Because he shares my interest in history and architecture he recommended that I stay at the Shakespear Chateau. His high praise didn't do justice to the experience. The owner Isobel understands her guests and personalizes the visit from the moment I entered the beautifully carved front door until check out time. She first has guests fill out a brief questionnaire to find out what time they'd like breakfast, if one has any dietary restrictions and then schedules the meal to meet the guests' needs... and what a breakfast! Isobel is happy to tell you as much or little about the history and architecture of the mansion as what you might be interested in. The 46 original stained glass windows, carved dragon stairway railings and rich woodwork create a calming feeling that really allows you to step out of your everyday life and enjoy a relaxing time. The bedroom in which I stayed had a nice view of the treed courtyard and was very quiet and comfortable. There were two queen size beds; one pillow top and the other memory foam so you can even further customize your experience right down to sort of mattress you prefer. I would highly recommend staying there.

Green Features: She is restoring a beautiful house using original materials whenever possible which is as about earth friendly as you can get.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
I love to meet friends and family of my local acquaintances, and Paul was an absolute joy. The best part of running the Shakespeare Chateau is meeting and greeting my guests, and seeing their enthusiasm and amazement at this magnificent house. I hope to see you again on a return trip!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The Shakespeare Chateau provided an outstanding get-away in a setting that is a feast for the eyes. Slept like a happy baby! We so enjoyed Isobel's personalized welcome, and her breakfast is delicious, healthy, and a great start to the day. The restoration to the Shakepeare's original 1885 glory leaves no modern comfort behind. The tour of the stained glass windows, the original tiles, the art, he beautifully restored wood provided just enough history to make us think that restoring America's treasures is a worthwhile goal for all of us. The gardens are an inspiration. The Chateau, all by itself, makes St. Joe's an inspired destination.

Room Tip: Every room in this luxury B & B provides comfort and beauty. And the beds!! Outstanding comfor...
Green Features: All green. The Shakespeare is an outstanding example of re-use, re-purpose, and recycle efforts that lead to comfort, and luxury.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
It's always fun to greet good friends and show them around this amazing place! The Shakespeare Chateau, the Hall Street Historic District, and Saint Joseph, Missouri as a whole make for a fabulous vacation destination or a fun weekend get-away. I hope you'll visit again soon!
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Perfect getaway to celebrate our anniversary. The house is beautiful, and I love that Isabel gives each guest a tour and tells the history of the house and its features. Our room was spacious and comfortable, and breakfast was delicious. I just wish we had more time to enjoy St. Joseph. The Patee Museum was very interesting. We'll have to make another trip!

Room Tip: Shakespeare Chateau is popular with honeymooners, so if you are wanting to stay over a weekend, I su...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you, TravelSource, for posting a review on TripAdvisor! It is great to know that a travel agency like yours can recommend my Bed-and-Breakfast so glowingly! I certainly hope that you'll come back to see more of the great attractions and dining destinations here in St. Joseph. And thanks for mentioning that the Shakespeare Chateau is a popular venue for honeymoon couples. We offer packages for small, intimate weddings , tailored to each couple's interests and budget.
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 5 June 2014

From the moment i made the reservation i knew i had picked the right overnight stay location. we went to st. joseph so my husband could tour the pony express museum but i think the highlight of the trip was our stay in the lovely home. we had an interesting and educational tour upon our arrival. the amount of love that has been put into restoring this home is incredible. i think the stained glass windows (which i love) was the main attraction to this before i made the reservation. when we got into the house i enjoyed all the beautifully carved places in the home. they are everywhere. our room was so quiet, even through a rough rain storm. the bed was great in the romeo and juliette room. the home is set in a lovely neighborhood with many other mansions, but this is by far the prettiest. my husband sat out on the porch during the rain storm and visited with other guests. the next morning we had a delicious breakfast in the dining room. isobel, the owner, is very nice and interesting to visit with. she makes you feel so comfortable and right at home. i hope to revisit someday. she is still working on restoring one room and that was interesting to see a "work in progress". i would recommend to anyone to travel to st. joseph just to stay at the chateau..

Room Tip: romeo and juliette room or twelfth night
Green Features: she has restored everything back to its original beauty. you can tell she is environmentally aware.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Isobel M, Owner at Shakespeare Chateau Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Thanks, Linda, for staying with me recently. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at the Shakespeare Chateau. The room I was working on during your visit (the Athena Parlor) now has newly-refinished floors and looks amazing! I hope you can come back for a return visit soon!
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 4 June 2014

When I was looking for a Bed and Breakfast in St Joe I found the Chateau when I checked Tripadvisor. I was surprised that all the reviews made it sound like it was perfect. I didn't believe it. After staying there, I found them to be true. What a wonderful place. Isabel is a gracious hostess. This was my first stay in a bed and breakfast. I beieve I started with the best.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Too good to be true?!? That can be said of the Shakespeare Chateau in many ways. Too good to be true that all of the beautiful original details - stained glass, woodwork, tiles, and more - are all still intact and here to enjoy almost 130 years later! Too good to be true that the beds, warm towels, and luxurious room furnishings make for the ultimate in comfort. Too good to be true that the home-made breakfasts are delicious, wholesome, and satisfying. But when you turn onto Hall Street, you've entered "Storybook Street" where everything is just a little too good to be true - but it is! Thanks for visiting, Donna. I'm glad you had a great visit.