“My First Tea in America”
Review of Gothic Tea House - CLOSED

Gothic Tea House
Price range: US$3 - US$8
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Saint Joseph, MO
“My First Tea in America”
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

I visited here with my wife recently, and was impressed by this establishment's twist on English Tea. The food was fabulous; I highly recommend the raspberry scones. The tea was not unlike what I've had in London, and it compliments the food quite well. A must for visitors to this historic city on the river.

2 Thank MichaelBlake1962

Saint Joseph, Missouri
“Don't waste your time or money”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This Tea House was recommended to my sister who lives out of town (I live in town.) by people who visited and raved about it. So, she was very excited to try it. So, she, my mother, and I went for lunch. Oh, my. First of all the location: In a rather "run-down" area of the city on a somewhat busy street. Our mother is on a walker and it was necessary to get her out of the car into oncoming traffic as there is no off-street parking. The house is self is okay, but nothing extra special. I, personally, was a bit bothered that you could look into the kitchen and other working areas. This rather took the aura away from the Victorian mood that was trying to be established.
The positives: The owner and the waitress were very personable. More negatives. The menu is extremely limited. Hope you like lettuce. After about fifteen minutes they, did bring out cranberry scones. They were good but not noteworthy. They raved about the "black tea" but I thought it tasted pretty much like Lipton's. Also, a bit bothersome, water glasses cluttered an already small table, never filled,but not removed until we were almost ready to leave. The Food: Oh my, Tiny, Tiny salads, Hope you ate before you came. I order the roast pork and was told that it was two thick slices with a really good bread and a wedge of lettuce. What I got: Two pieces of cold, somewhat decent small slices of white bread and one small slice of roast pork which only covered one-half of my small slice of bread. My lettuce wedge--a slice of romaine. I also had the chicken and dumpling soup. Quite good, actually. My sister had the special: a salad with chicken and pasta: very little chicken, four or five pieces of bow-tie pasta in a bowl that held about two cups of lettuce. She said the croutons were so hard she could not eat them. Mom had the Mandarin chicken salad. If i stretched out my hand and fingers wide--it would be bigger than the salad. Never did see much chicken. Both had to ask for dressing as it there was hardly any on the salad. Humorous note: Waitress asks: If you are not too full, would you like dessert? Obviously NOT. Probably would have been the size of a walnut. Cost for this? $11 per person before tip.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Shirleylwm
Saint Joseph, Missouri
“A must do!”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Great Place, great owner, great food! Quaint and perfect. Yes the portions were not "restaurant size" but they are not supposed to be in a tea house. Perfect for the town. We have only lived in Saint Joseph for four months, and this has made my list of must do's for my visitors.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank fleishans
Kansas City, Missouri
“Could Be So Much More!”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Drove from Kansas City to try this restaurant, which was rated very high. I just about froze - it was so cold inside. They should have at least put a space heater in the dining area for 30 minutes prior to opening! My daughter wore her coat the entire meal. The tomato soup was fabulous, complimentary scones with lemon curd were great, pork loin sandwich had a great flavor but way too much fat, and the quiche was good but needs a crust - it was served in a ramekin. Also - neither the sandwich or the quiche is served with any side - such as a scoop of potato salad or something! Dessert was good. The ambiance is in very good taste and takes you back in time! Too simple and overpriced for what you get. A good effort but falls short. Would go back for the scones and soup, but would probably stick with salad. Would like to see more typical Tea Room fare.... tuna or chicken salad on a croissant or sunflower bread with a side salad?? That would be better than that fatty meat slapped on bread.

• Visited February 2014
“1 woman show”
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

The scone was great but delivery of food after we placed the order was very slow. Woman told us she was doing it all herself. Food was good but left us wanting bigger portion sizes. Choices are very limited. A little over priced for the amount of time it took & amount of food we received. Decor wasn't anything special. Worth visiting if you have an hour & a half for lunch.

1 Thank TaushaTaylor