“A great place for the family, but go early!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of 36th Street Food & Drink - CLOSED

36th Street Food & Drink
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Seating, Waitstaff
North Kansas City, Missouri
“A great place for the family, but go early!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

We have been to this restaurant dozens of times. The food and service are excellent. The kids meals are really a great value, so this is important if you have a large family. The only only downside is that smoke from the bar sometimes drifts into the eating area. Otherwise, we love this place!

• Visited November 2013

Warrensburg, Missouri
“Tasty food, tad pricey, but will order again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I ordered room service from the 36th when I was staying at the Holiday Inn Express. The food was a tad pricey but comparable to places like Applebee's. The bayou shrimp pasta, caesar salad, and toast was very, very good. The lady who delivered my food (Jonna?) was great, very attentive and friendly. They offer breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and they have extended room service hours. I will order again when I stay at the Holiday Inn in the spring.

Visited November 2013
Arroyo Grande, California
“Waste of good food.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

It's rare I find a restaurant that has decent online reviews, referrals from locals and still turn out to be a dud. This is one of them.

Apparently, the 36th Street Food & Drink relocated from the Belt Highway to the restaurant space adjacent to the Hoilday Inn downtown. Someone mentioned it was under new ownership.

Since I was staying at the hotel, I though trying the restaurant was appropriate. The bar was busy. The dining room not busy.

After waiting over 5 minutes to be seated, it took another 10 minutes for anyone to take my drink order. So far, I was not impressed. Another 5 minutes go by and my server, a cute girl with a perky disposition, shows up with my drink.

Tonight's special was called "Black & Bleu". After reviewing the menu, I decided to try the special. It came with a salad, so I chose the caesar.

The salad arrived on a cold tin plate. Buried in dressing. I tasted it. No bad, but nothing special. Since the lettuce was drowned in dressing, I only ate a few bites. Bread arrived next. A small basket of warmed white flour rolls and butter. They had a sweet flavor,but were otherwise boring. Not worth the calories.

Dinner arrived far too early. Probably because at this point I was the only patron in the restaurant and the bar had quieted down as well. What else did the kitchen have to do other than get mine done?

The plate was interesting. There was a large (12 oz) steak buried in bleu cheese. The steak was percetly cooked (medium rare), but way too much seasoning. Essentially, it was a cardiologists dream! On the side was mashed sweet potatoes. They has a glaze to them. I asked the server about this. She said it was brown sugar and cinnamon. Lots of sugar and spice. I could not taste the potato. FInally, the vegetable. It was broccolini. Overcooked, too much seasoning and lukewarm.

I ate some of each item. When the server came to check up on me, I told her about the overseasoning. She said she liked it that way. No offer to make corrections.

I asked for a second glass of wine. Surprise! They needed to take my glass back as they didn't have any more.

Other then a decent looking server, this was the worst meal I have ever had. No chance in the world I'll be back.

Visited August 2013
Saint Joseph, Missouri
“Excellent !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

36th St used to be on the Belt Hwy. They have been closed for quite a while. When they re-opened downtown in the Holiday Inn, they've revamped the menu and the food is excellent. Went on a Saturday nite and the prime rib melted in my mouth. Our friend had the Rock Fish and I will probably get that next time. Everything was prepared to our liking and generous portions. Of course the free strawberry shortcake with the prime rib didn't hurt and it was the old fashioned shortbread. We will definitely be back. Unfortunately the word has not spread thru town yet how good they are. Try them ! You'll be glad you did.

• Visited June 2013
Saint Joseph, Missouri
“The moved and are moving back to their roots”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

Several years ago this was our favorite place, then they closed and now relocated to the Holiday Inn...changed owners i believe..we ate there on a Saturday night and we were basically the only ones there to eat. Our waitress said they were bringing back many of the old menu items. That would be a good move, as the menu was just average. My wife had a burger which was good. I had a chicken Alfredo which was not bad at all. Our friends liked there choices. Beer was cold. Service was good and attentive. Overall very good. Just wish there was more atmosphere, but it was great to be able to talk with our friends...very quiet. We hope they do well. We will be back. We wish more locals would look to downtown to eat out. This is a good addition to a growing list of choices.

• Visited February 2013