“Eye-popping sandwich!”

Cuisines: American
Country Club
“Eye-popping sandwich!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Enjoyed dinner at this chain deli this evening -- not my first time, mind you, but very likely my favorite visit.

I ordered the New Yorker with a side of potato salad, and boy, oh boy, was that ever a good sandwich. For one, it was piled high -- no kidding -- with tasty, juicy, lean corned beef and pastrami on toasted rye. The Swiss cheese was melted just right and the brown mustard capped off the whole sandwich as a joy to eat.

Reminded me of my visits to some of the famed delis in New York City.

Oh, and the potato salad was swell -- just not quite enough of it for my preferences.

• Visited July 2014

Saint Joseph, Missouri
“great sandwiches”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

the club sandwiches, soups and desserts are very tasty. always great service from the cashiers. quick take out service . the sweet tea is worth the drive.

Visited May 2014
“Wonderful ”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

It took a while to decide what to order because their menu is extensive. I finally decided on the Big Nasty. This was a huge amount of scrappy roast beef with cheese and topped with gravy served open faced on a yummy roll. My husband got a New Yorker. His also had lots of meat. The potato soup was delicious, but was a small serving. We were full and still brought home half of our sandwiches. We will definitely return.

Omaha, NE
“Not up to par”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

After having a positive experience at another McAlister's Deli, we were please to find this one while passing through St. Joseph. We arrived around 2:00 pm to find no one staffing the registers. One gal was on the phone and ignored us. We waited and someone finally wandered out to take our order. My husband ordered a Reuben but was told they were out of pastrami and corned beef so he ordered something else. The gal was pushing a new chocolate dessert so we ordered one to share. There were a few other people in the dining room but there were many tables and booths that were not cleaned off. We finally found a clean table, sat down and were then told they were also out of the dessert.

Service was slow and when our meals were finally delivered, my husbands was fine. My salad was fresh and good but my chicken salad sandwich was on a burned croissant. Toasted does not mean black but this bun was burned on the inside and the burn was visible all around the edges. It should never have left the kitchen in this condition. I tried a small bite and all I tasted was burned bread. I was not able to find an employee in the dining room so I took my plate and walked up to the cash register area. One person was taking an order and a man (manger?) was counting money at the other register. Both ignored me. I finally saw an employee in the dining room, went back and flagged her down. I showed her the burned croissant and told her it was inedible. Her response was "do you want another one?" "Ah, yes." She brought me a new sandwich and that was also visibly burned. "is this one okay?" I said, "it is still burned", to which she responded with a shoulder shrug. At this point I was not sure what might be done to my food if I sent it back again. I ended up taking the bun off and eating the filling.

For us this restaurant had some problems providing the basics for customers: cleanliness, service, food quality. I would not return or recommend this location.

• Visited November 2013
Fairhaven, Massachusetts
“Great salads!”
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

My visit was the first time I'd ever gone to this deli. Staff was extremely helpful & patient as I checked out the menu, listed on a chalk board behind the cash register. My salad was HUGH & very good. I will be back for another visit.