“Late Night Snack”

Price range: US$9 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between N. 6th St. and N. 7th St.
Description: Piatto is a new restaurant .
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Late Night Snack”
Reviewed 16 May 2013

We ordered the Duck Pizza as a late night snack for half price, very unique and delicious. Great atmosphere in the bar area.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Ashley H

Palm Harbor, Florida
“I'd return if I didn't live 400 miles away!”
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Chain restaurants have their advantages and patrons, and that's great, but I prefer to patronize the independent restaurants if possible, and it WAS possible last night in St. Joseph, Missouri.

I was in town for a night, and had read mostly good reviews of Piatto 614. Reservations for 7:15 were easily made from a link on their website. We arrived a few minutes early and were pleasantly greeted by the hostess who inquired if we had reservations, found that we did, and then checked her tablet computer for seating options. Our table wasn't quite ready, so we waited in the bar for just a few moments until the hostess found us and escorted us to a table. A server took our drink orders in a timely manner, and brought a basket of crusty rolls hot from the oven. Our entrees were delivered promptly and were delicious.

The good:

Parking was difficult to find on the street, but free parking was available at the city parking garage that was just around the corner, less than a 5 minute walk away.

The employees were very personable, friendly, and helpful. The server was attentive, but not intrusive, and the food was delivered quickly and presented well.

The food was excellent. I ordered lasagna bolognese and it did NOT have the typical red sauce, but a delicious sage and garlic white sauce, and a LOT of cheese. My daughter ordered black linguine and she reported that it was delicious as well, with chunks of shrimp.

The atmosphere was fun and welcoming.. The location is small, with room for perhaps 75 -100 people, decorated in a rustic style that went over well. A variety of upbeat background music was played that I suspect might have been Italian, but I don't speak Italian, so who knows?

The prices were very reasonable.

We DID notice a couple minor things that could be improved, and i'm being picky.

The servers were in such a rush to deliver prompt service to the customers that there were several near-collisions at the kitchen door, and we heard lots of breaking glass from collisions that perhaps took place inside the kitchen. SOME Americans are all about how fast can I chow down and get out, but others like a more leisurely dining experience.

We didn't get any butter with our rolls. That didn't bother me, as the butter that typically DOES come with rolls is frozen and Un-spreadable, probably because of health department rules, but there WAS a butter knife on our bread plate, so perhaps this was an oversight?

Our server was wonderful, but didn't know much about beer. I wasn't familiar with one of the beers offered, Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve, and asked the server what kind of beer it was, and the reply was "a good one, kinda fizzy" I ordered one and discovered it's a pale lager. It wasn't a bad beer, but if I'd have known what it was, I'd probably have selected something else, like....WINE...

Yes, wine. Piatto has an impressive wine list, with impressive prices that really don't complement (in my opinion, anyway) the atmosphere of the establishment. I like wine, especially dry reds, but I'm not an expert, and wine at $50-$90 on a bottle at a neighborhood trattoria seems out of place. I'm not saying the wine was overpriced as I'm not an expert...but perhaps the owner could offer a "house" or 'table" wine for "peasants" like me, perhaps a half a carafe of cheap Chianti?

We waited in the bar until our table was ready. I'd driven some 400 miles and I was ready for a drink, but there was no bartender. I didn't die of thirst, but had there been a bartender, he'd have sold a couple of cocktails.

• Visited May 2013
Carbondale, Colorado
“Just OK”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

A mixed review. Came on a Saturday night with 10 people, a large party. Sat us all, gave us excellent service, no problem there. Most in our group ordered drinks, salads and pizza. Probably made a mistake ordering a mohito. Obviously too much for a St Joe bartender as it was all club soda. Bad! Salad was called "Caprese" but it was mostly lettuce. Very good lettuce salad but not a Caprese. Pizza though was great! Some of the best we've eaten. No complaints there.

Just of the matter is if you're there for pizza and beer you've found the right place. If you're there for one of the less common items on the menu, prepare to be disappointed.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Fuddtractor
Clive, Iowa
“Delizioso!”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

My husband and I ate here early on a Sat. evening while visiting family. I made a reservation through Urban Spoon about an hour before as we were driving there. When we arrived we were welcomed with a friendly greeting and seated at a table by the window. The décor of natural materials remains from a previous restaurant and is warm and inviting. We ordered a bottle of wine (Merlot from Argentina, recommended by the waiter) and a chopped Italian salad to start. My husband ordered the linguini and meatballs and I ordered a dish that was newly added to the spring menu, a pasta with lump crab, pancetta (Italian cured ham), arugula, cheese, and other veggies. The waiter explained that all pasta is house-made and we were impressed with the freshness of ingredients and presentation. The service was attentive but not intrusive--the perfect balance! We left completely satisfied, with a great impression and leftovers to enjoy again.

• Visited March 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
“excellent mood, excellent food”
Reviewed 29 March 2013

To see natural materials in the interior of a restaurant and to eat really good quality food are two sorely needed and refreshing treats in this town. Our waiter was the only one there the night when we went and that may be the reason why the service started out a bit rocky, but to the young man's credit, he turned the situation around. I had read about the 'jars', the appetizer options and so we tried the one with the goat cheese and eggplant marmalade and it was yummy. We also had / shared the black linguine, which was truly excellent and the duck pizza which was not quite able to measure up to the pasta, but that is probably not fair. For dessert, we had bread pudding and chocolate mouse. The bread pudding was very good but will not necessarily change your life (we have a particular level and instance of bread pudding in mind when we try bread puddings elsewhere). The chocolate mouse seriously makes life better.

• Visited March 2013