“authentic italian gem” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Piatto614 - CLOSED

Piatto614
Price range: US$9 - US$20
Cuisines: Asian, Afghani, American, Chinese, Middle Eastern
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between N. 6th St. and N. 7th St.
Description: Piatto is a new restaurant .
Saint Joseph, Missouri
“authentic italian gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

This charming Italian eatery does not disappoint! Great atmosphere, excellent service, and consistent great food. Order the duck pizza! All the pasta is fresh each day and excellently prepared.

• Visited June 2013

Atlanta, GA
“Dessert Was Enjoyable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

Went on a Saturday night with a large group, 9 adults and 4 children (we made reservations in advance). They did a nice job accommodating us and service was pleasant and efficient. I think most of our party really enjoyed their food. I ordered the roast garlic chicken gnocchi and could barely get through it. I love black pepper; I put it on most everything. But this dish tasted like they used the opening for a measuring spoon on the top of the shaker. It burned the back of my throat and drowned out the rest of the flavors.

The kids got a kick out of watching the server brulee the creme brulee, and it was delicious!
I might be inclined to give them one more chance, but that would be it.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Late Night Snack”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

We ordered the Duck Pizza as a late night snack for half price, very unique and delicious. Great atmosphere in the bar area.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Ashley H
Palm Harbor, Florida
“I'd return if I didn't live 400 miles away!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

Chain restaurants have their advantages and patrons, and that's great, but I prefer to patronize the independent restaurants if possible, and it WAS possible last night in St. Joseph, Missouri.

I was in town for a night, and had read mostly good reviews of Piatto 614. Reservations for 7:15 were easily made from a link on their website. We arrived a few minutes early and were pleasantly greeted by the hostess who inquired if we had reservations, found that we did, and then checked her tablet computer for seating options. Our table wasn't quite ready, so we waited in the bar for just a few moments until the hostess found us and escorted us to a table. A server took our drink orders in a timely manner, and brought a basket of crusty rolls hot from the oven. Our entrees were delivered promptly and were delicious.

The good:

Parking was difficult to find on the street, but free parking was available at the city parking garage that was just around the corner, less than a 5 minute walk away.

The employees were very personable, friendly, and helpful. The server was attentive, but not intrusive, and the food was delivered quickly and presented well.

The food was excellent. I ordered lasagna bolognese and it did NOT have the typical red sauce, but a delicious sage and garlic white sauce, and a LOT of cheese. My daughter ordered black linguine and she reported that it was delicious as well, with chunks of shrimp.

The atmosphere was fun and welcoming.. The location is small, with room for perhaps 75 -100 people, decorated in a rustic style that went over well. A variety of upbeat background music was played that I suspect might have been Italian, but I don't speak Italian, so who knows?

The prices were very reasonable.

We DID notice a couple minor things that could be improved, and i'm being picky.

The servers were in such a rush to deliver prompt service to the customers that there were several near-collisions at the kitchen door, and we heard lots of breaking glass from collisions that perhaps took place inside the kitchen. SOME Americans are all about how fast can I chow down and get out, but others like a more leisurely dining experience.

We didn't get any butter with our rolls. That didn't bother me, as the butter that typically DOES come with rolls is frozen and Un-spreadable, probably because of health department rules, but there WAS a butter knife on our bread plate, so perhaps this was an oversight?

Our server was wonderful, but didn't know much about beer. I wasn't familiar with one of the beers offered, Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve, and asked the server what kind of beer it was, and the reply was "a good one, kinda fizzy" I ordered one and discovered it's a pale lager. It wasn't a bad beer, but if I'd have known what it was, I'd probably have selected something else, like....WINE...

Yes, wine. Piatto has an impressive wine list, with impressive prices that really don't complement (in my opinion, anyway) the atmosphere of the establishment. I like wine, especially dry reds, but I'm not an expert, and wine at $50-$90 on a bottle at a neighborhood trattoria seems out of place. I'm not saying the wine was overpriced as I'm not an expert...but perhaps the owner could offer a "house" or 'table" wine for "peasants" like me, perhaps a half a carafe of cheap Chianti?

We waited in the bar until our table was ready. I'd driven some 400 miles and I was ready for a drink, but there was no bartender. I didn't die of thirst, but had there been a bartender, he'd have sold a couple of cocktails.

• Visited May 2013
Carbondale, Colorado
“Just OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

A mixed review. Came on a Saturday night with 10 people, a large party. Sat us all, gave us excellent service, no problem there. Most in our group ordered drinks, salads and pizza. Probably made a mistake ordering a mohito. Obviously too much for a St Joe bartender as it was all club soda. Bad! Salad was called "Caprese" but it was mostly lettuce. Very good lettuce salad but not a Caprese. Pizza though was great! Some of the best we've eaten. No complaints there.

Just of the matter is if you're there for pizza and beer you've found the right place. If you're there for one of the less common items on the menu, prepare to be disappointed.

Visited April 2013